Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN / Scouts, Inc. on the Broncos needs (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN / Scouts, Inc. on the Broncos needs (Merged)

Not sure if this has been posted before (My apologies if it has) but they raise some nice questions

Scouts Inc. has evaluated the team needs for all 32 NFL teams. Here's a breakdown of the AFC West.

Denver Broncos

Defensive end: Denver has not solved its defensive end problems since losing Bertrand Berry and Reggie Hayward in free agency over the past three seasons. The Broncos do not have that guy on the outside who can get consistent pressure on the quarterback. They have used a group of players, including Ebenezer Ekuban (7 sacks), Kenard Lang, Courtney Brown (IR) and John Engelberger (1 sack). Other than a healthy Brown, who is much better versus the run, this team does not have a player who strikes fear into any offensive tackle with his speed or edge quickness. Denver needs to find a legitimate pass-rush threat who can take pressure off the rest of the defense.

LynchSafety: John Lynch is going to be 36 next season. Although he is still a very good run support player, he is very limited in coverage at this point of his career. Fellow starting safety Nick Ferguson finished the 2006 season on injured reserve with a knee injury and provides very little big-play ability when healthy. No. 3 safety Sam Brandon finished the season on injured reserve with a knee injury. The Broncos don't have a lot of young talent here either, so this position could really use a complete makeover this offseason.

Wide receiver: The Broncos have a No. 1 receiver in Javon Walker. Towards the end of 2006 Walker was seeing more and more double coverage because the Broncos lack a threat opposite of him. Veteran Rod Smith has had an illustrious career, but the time has come for him to retire. He has been a great player and leader on that team, but he just can't get open or separate anymore. No. 3 receiver Brandon Marshall and No. 4 receiver David Kircus make plays, but the Broncos can't go into next year assuming either will step up and be more than a backup. Walker needs some help and Denver needs a young receiver to start grooming to eventually become a No. 1 target.

Defensive tackle: If you look at the entire Denver defensive line, you would say this is a unit with very good depth across the board. The problem is the lack of a dominant force or consistent playmakers. Like the defensive end position, the Broncos don't have a guy inside at tackle who can take a game over. Michael Myers is an unrestricted free agent who might not be back in 2007. He started the 2006 season well but wore down late. Gerard Warren is never going to be better than average. He had a toe injury that really hindered his play, but even when healthy he takes way too many plays off. Elvis Dumervil played inside last season as a nickel rusher, but he lacks the size to be an every-down player at end or tackle. Denver needs a disruptive force inside -- a guy who can penetrate and make plays on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

Running back: The Broncos have two running backs, but they do not have a feature back. They tried to use a rotation of Tatum Bell and Mike Bell last season, but neither could really get in a groove. The team does not like the lack of toughness Tatum Bell, who missed time again last season, has shown. Tatum Bell also was in the doghouse late in the year for putting the ball on the ground. Mike Bell was an undrafted free agent last season and did some good things, but he does not give them a lot of big-play ability. Together, Tatum and Mike Bell are a nice combination, but Denver needs one guy who can be counted on from week to week.

Linky (You will need an Insider Account)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...2=stateChanged
    Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

These guys' opinions are worthless. The people who "look" at our team clearly only glanced at a few news stories and then wrote up their report. Dumervil, regardless of where he experimented position wise, was primarily an End. To list him under DT shows they don't pay attention.

To say Rod should retire is utterly foolish too as he could be very solid in the nickel. To say Brandon Marshall shouldn't be relied on, when he was in fact relied on in the last stretch of the season is just ignorant. Our offense opened up at the end of the season much because of guys like Scheff and Marshall showing they were viable starting options.

I agree with the assessment on Warren, but it doesn't take any expert analysis to tell you that.

Comment

i agree with everything except wideout.....walker and marshall will do just fine next year, especially with he emmergence of sheffler at TE

Comment

thoughts

yeah, i'd have to say i agree with pretty much all of it except receiver.

yeah, dumervil played primarily at end, but the fact remains he just doesn't have the size to be an every down lineman at either position.

and i definitely hope marshall can step up next year, and start becoming the player he has the potential to be... but it also looked like watts was going to become a good receiver after he led the afc in receptions at the first half of his rookie season... you just can't tell with young receivers sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by ShotPutKing
          yeah, i'd have to say i agree with pretty much all of it except receiver.

yeah, dumervil played primarily at end, but the fact remains he just doesn't have the size to be an every down lineman at either position.

and i definitely hope marshall can step up next year, and start becoming the player he has the potential to be... but it also looked like watts was going to become a good receiver after he led the afc in receptions at the first half of his rookie season... you just can't tell with young receivers sometimes.
          watts led the afc in receptions for half a year? did u dream up this magical year beause watts has never been close to being #1 in receptions

Comment

I would agree with much of this analysis, except that I don't see how Denver will get all these players.

First of all, Shanahan might be stuck with hoping Courtney Brown returns healthy. He's unlikley to find a better veteran DT to replace FA Mike Myers than he's losing and the RB by committee isn't working.

Unfortunately for Denver this is a piss-poor year for drafting RBs. The only ones worth 1st round consideration Peterson & Lynch will be long gone by #21. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick will surprise everyone, but more likely, such a player won't be better than what Denver already has.

As for DE I would agree they need a "legitimate pass-rush threat", but they needed that last year too and didn't get it. I'm not holding my breath again this year expecting miracles. There are no elite FA DEs who are likely to land in Denver and Charles Johnson might be the most we can hope for in the draft -- assuming Shanahan even thinks about taking him.

You'd think eventually Shanahan would draft an elite DL, but I've been waiting for about 7 years for that to happen and it hasn't happened yet. I've given up hoping Shanahan is going to change his mind about that. He thinks he can get by with FA busts from other teams like Brown and Warren and Ekuban and nobody's seemed to change his mind yet.

Other than Dumervil who was a project that other teams shied away from because of his size, Denver hasn't taken a decent DE in years.
            sigpic

Comment

Scouts Inc Breakdown of Denver's Needs

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...ory?id=2767817

Scouts Inc. has evaluated the team needs for all 32 NFL teams. Here's a breakdown of the AFC West.

Denver Broncos

Defensive end: Denver has not solved its defensive end problems since losing Bertrand Berry and Reggie Hayward in free agency over the past three seasons. The Broncos do not have that guy on the outside who can get consistent pressure on the quarterback. They have used a group of players, including Ebenezer Ekuban (7 sacks), Kenard Lang, Courtney Brown (IR) and John Engelberger (1 sack). Other than a healthy Brown, who is much better versus the run, this team does not have a player who strikes fear into any offensive tackle with his speed or edge quickness. Denver needs to find a legitimate pass-rush threat who can take pressure off the rest of the defense:

Safety: John Lynch is going to be 36 next season. Although he is still a very good run support player, he is very limited in coverage at this point of his career. Fellow starting safety Nick Ferguson finished the 2006 season on injured reserve with a knee injury and provides very little big-play ability when healthy. No. 3 safety Sam Brandon finished the season on injured reserve with a knee injury. The Broncos don't have a lot of young talent here either, so this position could really use a complete makeover this offseason.

Wide receiver: The Broncos have a No. 1 receiver in Javon Walker. Towards the end of 2006 Walker was seeing more and more double coverage because the Broncos lack a threat opposite of him. Veteran Rod Smith has had an illustrious career, but the time has come for him to retire. He has been a great player and leader on that team, but he just can't get open or separate anymore. No. 3 receiver Brandon Marshall and No. 4 receiver David Kircus make plays, but the Broncos can't go into next year assuming either will step up and be more than a backup. Walker needs some help and Denver needs a young receiver to start grooming to eventually become a No. 1 target.

Defensive tackle: If you look at the entire Denver defensive line, you would say this is a unit with very good depth across the board. The problem is the lack of a dominant force or consistent playmakers. Like the defensive end position, the Broncos don't have a guy inside at tackle who can take a game over. Michael Myers is an unrestricted free agent who might not be back in 2007. He started the 2006 season well but wore down late. Gerard Warren is never going to be better than average. He had a toe injury that really hindered his play, but even when healthy he takes way too many plays off. Elvis Dumervil played inside last season as a nickel rusher, but he lacks the size to be an every-down player at end or tackle. Denver needs a disruptive force inside -- a guy who can penetrate and make plays on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

Running back: The Broncos have two running backs, but they do not have a feature back. They tried to use a rotation of Tatum Bell and Mike Bell last season, but neither could really get in a groove. The team does not like the lack of toughness Tatum Bell, who missed time again last season, has shown. Tatum Bell also was in the doghouse late in the year for putting the ball on the ground. Mike Bell was an undrafted free agent last season and did some good things, but he does not give them a lot of big-play ability. Together, Tatum and Mike Bell are a nice combination, but Denver needs one guy who can be counted on from week to week.
              Last edited by cutlerfan; 02-21-2007, 02:10 PM.

----------------------------------------------
              I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

Pretty accurate sumation I.M.O.

Good read
                I owe CP's to: no one

Comment

Originally posted by TR3Y
                  Pretty accurate sumation I.M.O.

Good read
                  Agreed, one of the few places that doesn't talk about the Broncos and CB's immediately. A good breakdown, but nothing new in here for the Bronco faithful. Accurate break down though IMO.
                  sigpic
                  The only thing that can stop the ninja.
                  Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Comment

He didnt even mention offensive line, we have Foster who was benched and Meadows who is really old and just came back from retirement. Plus we have Lepsis trying to make a recovery from a torn up leg and hes probably pushing 30 now. Adding a quality tackle couldnt hurt the team at this point.

Comment

O-line is the most important part of an offense if ya can't run block and pass protect, well.......you know

Comment

Originally posted by SmithOverTO
                        Not sure if this has been posted before (My apologies if it has) but they raise some nice questions

Denver Broncos

Defensive end: Denver has not solved its defensive end problems since losing Bertrand Berry and Reggie Hayward in free agency over the past three seasons. The Broncos do not have that guy on the outside who can get consistent pressure on the quarterback. They have used a group of players, including Ebenezer Ekuban (7 sacks), Kenard Lang, Courtney Brown (IR) and John Engelberger (1 sack). Other than a healthy Brown, who is much better versus the run, this team does not have a player who strikes fear into any offensive tackle with his speed or edge quickness. Denver needs to find a legitimate pass-rush threat who can take pressure off the rest of the defense.

LynchSafety: John Lynch is going to be 36 next season. Although he is still a very good run support player, he is very limited in coverage at this point of his career. Fellow starting safety Nick Ferguson finished the 2006 season on injured reserve with a knee injury and provides very little big-play ability when healthy. No. 3 safety Sam Brandon finished the season on injured reserve with a knee injury. The Broncos don't have a lot of young talent here either, so this position could really use a complete makeover this offseason.

Linky (You will need an Insider Account)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...2=stateChanged
                        DE/DT: Look for the Broncos to make a push at a veteran DE or DT like a Kerney or a Thomas. Both have fallen under a shadow with their respective lines (Kerney: Coleman & Abraham & Thomas: Smith & Grant) However if we don't make a move in FA, they we'll probably we looking for a DE or DT in the early rounds.

Safety: Only safety I see the Broncos maybe aquiring in FA is Mikael Lewis of the Eagles. He may have underachieved, or maybe Considine overachieved. I don't know. But with an aging safety core, I could see the Broncos going for a safety also in early rounds.

RB: As many had said, there's two things a team needs to do in order to be successful: run the ball and stop the run. Usually, the Broncos have a rotating two back system, which has worked out in the past (Anderson & Bell: Almost 1000 yards each in 2005) However, Shanahan nay be looking for a durable, go to back, since the two RB system showed weakness, with both Bells having their faults (Tatum: Fumbles/Mike: Lack of Explosiveness) I think either we make a push for Lynch or AP if we look to the draft, or look for a veteran durable back in FA like a Brown. It's a reach, but we could even go for a trade for Clinton Portis Back. Who knows?

Comment

Working...
                        X