Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick Kerney??

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...len&id=2776749

Because of a quirk in his contract, Atlanta defensive end Patrick Kerney was able to avoid being designated as a franchise player this week and, in a diluted pool of free agents, could now be one of the top unrestricted veterans available. Having reached certain performance thresholds in his contract, Kerney had the right to void the final two years of his deal and become a free agent. But he did not have to exercise his option to void those last two years, at base salaries of $6.71 million for 2007 and $7.19 million for 2008, until Friday. Why was that important? Because the deadline for teams to designate franchise players was Thursday. League rules prohibit clubs from using the franchise designation on players who are still under contract for the future, so the Falcons could not apply the tag on Kerney, although they may not have used it anyway.

By waiting until Friday to opt out of his deal, Kerney in essence assured himself of being an unrestricted free agent unless he re-ups with Atlanta before the leaguewide signing period commences on March 2. Kerney has some negatives -- he is 30 and coming off a 2006 season in which a torn pectoral muscle limited him to nine games and 4½ sacks -- but should still generate significant interest from multiple suitors. Three defensive ends -- Justin Smith (Cincinnati), Charles Grant (New Orleans) and Dwight Freeney (Indianapolis) -- were designated franchise players by their respective teams. So that takes most of the bite out of the defensive end market in free agency. Kerney has 58 career sacks, is a blue-collar worker who plays the run well and is a solid guy to have in the locker room. Denver, where former Atlanta defensive line coach Bill Johnson is now working, could pay him a lot of money. And one reason is that Kerney's contract was crafted in a way that permitted him to venture into the open market in a year when the free-agent bounty is even thinner than usual.

----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Well

Originally posted by cutlerfan
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...len&id=2776749

Because of a quirk in his contract, Atlanta defensive end Patrick Kerney was able to avoid being designated as a franchise player this week and, in a diluted pool of free agents, could now be one of the top unrestricted veterans available. Having reached certain performance thresholds in his contract, Kerney had the right to void the final two years of his deal and become a free agent. But he did not have to exercise his option to void those last two years, at base salaries of $6.71 million for 2007 and $7.19 million for 2008, until Friday. Why was that important? Because the deadline for teams to designate franchise players was Thursday. League rules prohibit clubs from using the franchise designation on players who are still under contract for the future, so the Falcons could not apply the tag on Kerney, although they may not have used it anyway.

By waiting until Friday to opt out of his deal, Kerney in essence assured himself of being an unrestricted free agent unless he re-ups with Atlanta before the leaguewide signing period commences on March 2. Kerney has some negatives -- he is 30 and coming off a 2006 season in which a torn pectoral muscle limited him to nine games and 4½ sacks -- but should still generate significant interest from multiple suitors. Three defensive ends -- Justin Smith (Cincinnati), Charles Grant (New Orleans) and Dwight Freeney (Indianapolis) -- were designated franchise players by their respective teams. So that takes most of the bite out of the defensive end market in free agency. Kerney has 58 career sacks, is a blue-collar worker who plays the run well and is a solid guy to have in the locker room. Denver, where former Atlanta defensive line coach Bill Johnson is now working, could pay him a lot of money. And one reason is that Kerney's contract was crafted in a way that permitted him to venture into the open market in a year when the free-agent bounty is even thinner than usual.
    Until I am proven wrong and he signs elsewhere, I will remain convinced Kerney will be destined for Denver.

He was a finalist for the Broncos in 1999 as a first round pick when the Falcons took him right in front of the Broncos, who then took Al Wilson.

He is a true Professional, a very good player, a solid character and a leader. He will bring a Pro's/Pro mentality to our D-Line, and he still has a few gallons left in the tank.

I think we will go after him, and I think he is willing to work with us on the financial end to get the deal done.

But I fully expect Patrick Kerney to be A Denver Bronco for the 2007 season and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by MindField
      Until I am proven wrong and he signs elsewhere, I will remain convinced Kerney will be destined for Denver.

He was a finalist for the Broncos in 1999 as a first round pick when the Falcons took him right in front of the Broncos, who then took Al Wilson.

He is a true Professional, a very good player, a solid character and a leader. He will bring a Pro's/Pro mentality to our D-Line, and he still has a few gallons left in the tank.

I think we will go after him, and I think he is willing to work with us on the financial end to get the deal done.

But I fully expect Patrick Kerney to be A Denver Bronco for the 2007 season and beyond.
      I'm with you. Now we get both Kerney and Wilson.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SM19
        I'll believe we can pay him when I see it done. He'll be getting offers from teams with a lot more cap space than we have.
        Most likely he will accept less money to go to a better team. Plus his home is in Denver. One of the reasons that he would of stayed in Atlanta is because of his defensive line coach, which ironically, is now Denver's defensive line coach. He will be a Bronco next year.

Comment

I'll believe we can pay him when I see it done. He'll be getting offers from teams with a lot more cap space than we have.
          I think that will be an issue, but if Gerrard Warren and Rod Smith both restructure and we can get one or more players outside of that, like Ekuban, Brown, Lang, Gold, Lynch, Nalen, or Lepsis to do the same we might free up enough space to pull it off. At this point, I am hoping we land Kerney and Graham in free agency if we can some how get the space.

Comment

Don't get too hung up on the cap....teams can create $$$ with just a couple of re-structures.

Comment

i just heard on NFL Network, Adam Schefter reported that Kerney is going to be asking somewhere in the vecinity of 8 million per year due to the fact that the FA market for a DE is pretty thin, thus the demand will be high. now, i still full expect him to become a Bronco for 2007. all signs point him to Denver, and its no secret that we want him. i still expect him to come, but i think were going to have to jump through a few more hoops to get him than we originally expected....

My 2007 Adopt a Broncos are Brandon Marshall and Erica Weston

Comment

I would love to see Kerney in the Orange and Blue! I dont know about Daniel Graham though, Scheffler and Cutler have a pretty good chemistry!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheFuture6
                  i just heard on NFL Network, Adam Schefter reported that Kerney is going to be asking somewhere in the vecinity of 8 million per year due to the fact that the FA market for a DE is pretty thin, thus the demand will be high. now, i still full expect him to become a Bronco for 2007. all signs point him to Denver, and its no secret that we want him. i still expect him to come, but i think were going to have to jump through a few more hoops to get him than we originally expected....

cripes! kerney is high on my offseason wish list, but not for that kind of money. . . if he really wants to get paid in that range, i'd prefer to see us pass on him. . . .
                  Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
                    cripes! kerney is high on my offseason wish list, but not for that kind of money. . . if he really wants to get paid in that range, i'd prefer to see us pass on him. . . .
                    Agreed......
                    sigpic
                    The only thing that can stop the ninja.
                    Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Comment

Kerney's a free agent?

Wow...its like this should've been posted before.

Comment

Since there are going to be several teams looking for a pass rushing DE and Kerney is possibly the best one available, he's likely going to cost way too much for us. Someone is going to overpay. Don't count on him being a Bronco.
                        Last edited by broncolee; 02-23-2007, 07:40 PM.
                        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                        You Mad Bro?
                        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

One of the best reasons to go after this guy is that it allows Denver more flexibility in the draft. Essentially, it clears to runway if they want to make a big move and go after someone like Peterson. Getting rid of Plummer is hugely important for those two reasons.

Comment

Working...
                          X