Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dillon not retiring just yet.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2776090

Now I know he's a little bit older, but he put up some impressive numbers for splitting time with Maroney. I think he's tired of getting small carries, but if he was a primary back with Mike Bell taking smaller carries, I think this could work out if we were to not draft RB in the first round.

I know there have been a lot of armchair GM's here but if we got a couple of good years out of him, why not entertain it? If we gave him 15 carries a game and Bell about 10, I think it would be a nice piece to the puzzle. I am really beginning to think that the Browns are going to take Peterson with the #3 pick and I also believe that #8 is WAY too high to take Lynch.

sigpic

Myself, Shawn (a chefs fan) and Mike on our way home from the Sand Trap in June '06. (Mildenhall AFB)

Originally posted by Straz1999

Now I know he's a little bit older, but he put up some impressive numbers for splitting time with Maroney. I think he's tired of getting small carries, but if he was a primary back with Mike Bell taking smaller carries, I think this could work out if we were to not draft RB in the first round.

I know there have been a lot of armchair GM's here but if we got a couple of good years out of him, why not entertain it? If we gave him 15 carries a game and Bell about 10, I think it would be a nice piece to the puzzle. I am really beginning to think that the Browns are going to take Peterson with the #3 pick and I also believe that #8 is WAY too high to take Lynch.

dillon can't handle alot of carries. He's the one that took himself out after a gain of 4+ yards. There's no doubt IMHO that he is a good RB. But he is no longer an every down RB, and I fear the thin air in Mile High would make him even more breathless in a game.

I put Dillon in the "other" category, along with Jamal Lewis, Ahman Green, and Chris Brown. I would rather Denver just went with who we had. With the way our line run blocked this year, Lewis and Dillon would be virtual non factors, and Green and Brown wouldn't last more then 2 games without getting hurt.

Comment

First of all, Dillion is too close to the end of his career for Denver to consider him. We don't need to rent a RB for a couple of years. We need a RB that's going to be around for a while and produce consistantly. If we go after a veteran RB, I think we would be better off trying to trade for Thomas Jones, at least he has more than a couple of years left in him.

Second of all, there's no guarantee that the Browns will take Peterson. While the #8 pick might be too high to take Lynch, the #21 pick might be too low. Remember we have the #21 pick. Just because there's some talk about a trade with the Texans for their 1st round pick, it doesn't mean that there will be a trade for that pick.
      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
      You Mad Bro?
      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee
        First of all, Dillion is too close to the end of his career for Denver to consider him. We don't need to rent a RB for a couple of years. We need a RB that's going to be around for a while and produce consistantly. If we go after a veteran RB, I think we would be better off trying to trade for Thomas Jones, at least he has more than a couple of years left in him.

Second of all, there's no guarantee that the Browns will take Peterson. While the #8 pick might be too high to take Lynch, the #21 pick might be too low. Remember we have the #21 pick. Just because there's some talk about a trade with the Texans for their 1st round pick, it doesn't mean that there will be a trade for that pick.
        First of all....
        The Browns are takng Peterson unless the Raiders pass on Russell. This is all assuming the trade goes down.

Second of all....
        It wouldnt hurt at all to get a 2 year rent-a-back with a draft that is weak in running backs. Dillon showed he is a productive back when sharing carries and not taking the entire load.

Third of all....
        The more PRESSING need is help on the defensive line. Anybody who watched a game last year will tell you that.

sigpic

Myself, Shawn (a chefs fan) and Mike on our way home from the Sand Trap in June '06. (Mildenhall AFB)

Comment

First of all....
          The Browns are takng Peterson unless the Raiders pass on Russell. This is all assuming the trade goes down.

Second of all....
          It wouldnt hurt at all to get a 2 year rent-a-back with a draft that is weak in running backs. Dillon showed he is a productive back when sharing carries and not taking the entire load.

Third of all....
          The more PRESSING need is help on the defensive line. Anybody who watched a game last year will tell you that.
          I guess you must be in the Browns front office and have knowledge of what they want to do. So, first of all, unless you are the one making the choice for the Browns, no it is not guaranteed that they will take Peterson. They have other needs besides RB and might choose to address those needs first.

Second of all, no it is not a good idea to pick up a two year rent-a-back. We have a real chance at getting on of the top backs in the draft and even if we can't get Peterson or Lynch(the one we have a legitimate chance to get), there are still several backs in this draft that would be a huge upgrade from what we have now.

Third of all, no, defensive line is not our most pressing need. The Broncos are an offensive driven team and Shanahan is an offensive minded coach. He wants his offense back in the top 5 and the best way to do that is to find a RB that that can carry the load and make an impact on the game. He can try to do that in the draft or he can try to do it in FA or a trade. If he chooses not to do it in the draft, it would make more sense to try to trade for Thomas Jones, who is still in the prime of his career than it would be to pick up Dillon, who is past his prime and unlikely to produce like the Broncos want their RBs to produce.

Fourth of all, If the Browns want a franchise QB other than Frye, there's this guy named Brady Quinn, he's pretty good and, in all likelihood, is going to be a better NFL QB than Russell and even he isn't, he's still a huge upgrade from Frye.

Fifth of all, as I'm sure you've figured out, I can be a smart a$$ too.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Well with the smart a$$ness aside, I'd be willing to make a CP bet with ya that Cleveland will take Peterson. Trust me, nobody wants to see Peterson in a Broncos uni more than me, I'm a Sooner fan. He is going to get mauled behind that atrocious brownie line.

sigpic

Comment

NO NO NO!

I think my head is going to explode by the time the season rolls around at the rate these threads are pumping out

Comment

Working...
              X