Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving Up To Get Another 1st round Pick

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moving Up To Get Another 1st round Pick

    I know everyone has talked about us moving in the 1st round to get Peterson, Lynch, Anderson, Adams, or anything else imaginable, but is it worth the price? Another idea is to stay at no. 21 and then try and get another 1st round pick in the 20's. This scenario is not out of the question in my mind and would help the Broncos land some impact players they won't be able to get in FA.

    The first part of the deal has to do with the Broncos unloading Jake Plummer to the Houston Texans. Now I don't believe for one second that the Texans are not interested in acquiring Plummer, I just don't think they want their 1st round pick(8th overall) involved in the deal. Now I think we can swing a deal for their 2nd round pick(40th overall) if we include Plummer and Foster, and I think that is a very deal. The Texans get a veteran QB that has a winning past with their HC to compete with David Carr and some sorely needed OL help, not bad for one 2nd round pick.

    This leaves us armed with the 40th and 53rd overall selections in the second round and the 70th and 85th overall selections in the third round. Now we know that Bill Belicheck loves to trade down and acquire picks, this could be where we can move back into the 1st round again. New England has the 24th and 28th overall picks in the 1st round. The 24th overall selection is valued at 740 pts out of 3,000. Our picks are valued at 40th(500 pts), 53rd(370 pts), 70th(240 pts), and 85th(165 pts). Thus it would take us trading our 40th overall selection(500 pts) and our 70th overall selection(240 pts) to get us the 24th overall selection. It would give New England the 27th, 40th, 59th, 70th, 91st overall selections plus any other first day picks they have or will acquire. That is the type of draft situation Belicheck loves and it gives the Broncos 2 first round picks.

    That gives the Broncos the 21st, 24th, 53rd, and 85th overall selections on the first day of the draft. This is plenty to give the Broncos the ability to fill some holes and make them stronger. It looks more and more likely the Broncos might address their need for a RB through FA or a trade thus maybe the draft is to shore up the defense, especially up front.

    With the 2 first round selections I would immediately fortify the DL. Even if the Broncos somehow land Patrick Kearney in FA I still see them using the 21st overall selection if available on Amobi Okoye, Adam Carriker, Charles Johnson, or Jarvis Moss in that order. Any of these players provide the Broncos with a boost in the pass rush to go along with the addition of Kearney. Even Okoye could provide some push from the end as I see him much in the same mold as Trevor Pryce. Then with the 24th overall selection I would like to see the Broncos tab Tank Tyler from NC State to be a big run stuffer next to Gerard Warren. Tyler has great strength given his 43 reps of 225lbs at the Combine bench press and is a proven run stuffer.

    This still leaves the Broncos with a second round pick to address the safety or running back position, and a third round pick to finish up the first day of the draft. Thus with this trade we would be able to land two impact DL, or maybe if we sign Kearney in FA and Marshawn Lynch falls then we gety our stud RB and a DL. Either way this trade helps the Broncos fill much needed holes without paying big bucks that we don't really have on the FA market, and it is a trade that is realistic for both parties involved.

  • #2
    Good job!

    Only thing I disagree with is.......there is NO chance of Okoye falling down to the 20's area.

    This idea hasnt been thrown around much, but the more I think about it........I wouldnt mind it at all (providing we get Lynch)

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't think Okoye will fall to no. 21 either, but if he did then he has to be our first priority at that pick. Even if Lynch is there I would still take Okoye because he is that Trevor Pryce type of player that I believe could play both DE and DT and those are rare to come by. Plus the kid is 19, that is unheard of when entering the NFL.

      Comment


      • #4
        Agreed

        I would like to see denver get another pick in the first round whether by trading jake and tatum or each seperately. Even if it's a early second round that wouldn't be bad either.
        Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

        Comment


        • #5
          good post, i like the idea of trying to target another high impact player. free agents are usually older and cost too much.

          maybe we could give the bears a 3rd for jones too. a trade would be a better scenario then signing high dollar free agents.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JerryD3430
            I know everyone has talked about us moving in the 1st round to get Peterson, Lynch, Anderson, Adams, or anything else imaginable, but is it worth the price? Another idea is to stay at no. 21 and then try and get another 1st round pick in the 20's. This scenario is not out of the question in my mind and would help the Broncos land some impact players they won't be able to get in FA.

            The first part of the deal has to do with the Broncos unloading Jake Plummer to the Houston Texans. Now I don't believe for one second that the Texans are not interested in acquiring Plummer, I just don't think they want their 1st round pick(8th overall) involved in the deal. Now I think we can swing a deal for their 2nd round pick(40th overall) if we include Plummer and Foster, and I think that is a very deal. The Texans get a veteran QB that has a winning past with their HC to compete with David Carr and some sorely needed OL help, not bad for one 2nd round pick.

            This leaves us armed with the 40th and 53rd overall selections in the second round and the 70th and 85th overall selections in the third round. Now we know that Bill Belicheck loves to trade down and acquire picks, this could be where we can move back into the 1st round again. New England has the 24th and 28th overall picks in the 1st round. The 24th overall selection is valued at 740 pts out of 3,000. Our picks are valued at 40th(500 pts), 53rd(370 pts), 70th(240 pts), and 85th(165 pts). Thus it would take us trading our 40th overall selection(500 pts) and our 70th overall selection(240 pts) to get us the 24th overall selection. It would give New England the 27th, 40th, 59th, 70th, 91st overall selections plus any other first day picks they have or will acquire. That is the type of draft situation Belicheck loves and it gives the Broncos 2 first round picks.

            That gives the Broncos the 21st, 24th, 53rd, and 85th overall selections on the first day of the draft. This is plenty to give the Broncos the ability to fill some holes and make them stronger. It looks more and more likely the Broncos might address their need for a RB through FA or a trade thus maybe the draft is to shore up the defense, especially up front.

            With the 2 first round selections I would immediately fortify the DL. Even if the Broncos somehow land Patrick Kearney in FA I still see them using the 21st overall selection if available on Amobi Okoye, Adam Carriker, Charles Johnson, or Jarvis Moss in that order. Any of these players provide the Broncos with a boost in the pass rush to go along with the addition of Kearney. Even Okoye could provide some push from the end as I see him much in the same mold as Trevor Pryce. Then with the 24th overall selection I would like to see the Broncos tab Tank Tyler from NC State to be a big run stuffer next to Gerard Warren. Tyler has great strength given his 43 reps of 225lbs at the Combine bench press and is a proven run stuffer.

            This still leaves the Broncos with a second round pick to address the safety or running back position, and a third round pick to finish up the first day of the draft. Thus with this trade we would be able to land two impact DL, or maybe if we sign Kearney in FA and Marshawn Lynch falls then we gety our stud RB and a DL. Either way this trade helps the Broncos fill much needed holes without paying big bucks that we don't really have on the FA market, and it is a trade that is realistic for both parties involved.
            Good thought out post

            I wouldn't be opposed to that scenario at all, the more 1st round picks a team has, the more leverage they have to wheel and deal
            I owe CP's to: no one

            Comment


            • #7
              I think this would be great for Denver to Get Houston Texans 40th pick for Plummer, the only thing that I would like to See differnt would be, Instead of trading with New England at 24, I think Denver Could look at Gaints at 20, if the Gaints do not get a RB as a free agent and we do, We could Trade Tatum Bell and are 40th pick to the Gaints for their 20th pick, Yes i no it is only 4 spots, but that 4 spots could mean a big differnce. And you could be looking at Adam Carriker,Reggie Nelson.. and if both are gone u could get Jarvis Moss ,Quentin Moses or even Tank Tyler....u could really help out the D with these picks!!!


              Also if any type of trade, like this happens where Denver gets 2 first round picks, and this happens before the Draft, does Denver trade them to a team like, Detroit, or the Cardinals, to go up and get Alan Branch, Gaines Adams, Jamaal Anderson.... Or up near SF, to get Amobi Okoye?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tpoz34
                I think this would be great for Denver to Get Houston Texans 40th pick for Plummer, the only thing that I would like to See differnt would be, Instead of trading with New England at 24, I think Denver Could look at Gaints at 20, if the Gaints do not get a RB as a free agent and we do, We could Trade Tatum Bell and are 40th pick to the Gaints for their 20th pick, Yes i no it is only 4 spots, but that 4 spots could mean a big differnce. And you could be looking at Adam Carriker,Reggie Nelson.. and if both are gone u could get Jarvis Moss ,Quentin Moses or even Tank Tyler....u could really help out the D with these picks!!!


                Also if any type of trade, like this happens where Denver gets 2 first round picks, and this happens before the Draft, does Denver trade them to a team like, Detroit, or the Cardinals, to go up and get Alan Branch, Gaines Adams, Jamaal Anderson.... Or up near SF, to get Amobi Okoye?
                I don't think that we would trade two 1st round picks just to get up to get one guy. We need more than one guy. I think that we could combo our 2nd or 3rd round pick with Tatum to the Giants because they need a RB and the Willis McGahee trade probably won't happen. Although the Giants do have the #20 pick (right in front of us). I would not be opposed to have us draft Reggie Nelson and Adam Carriker with those two picks. We can pick up Tank Tyler in the 2nd round and we would fix our D-Line and our S play in three short picks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I echo the positive comments towards trying to turn Jake and Foster plus a couple lower picks into a first rounder....the only problem I have is that all of the talent I was hoping to get in the 20s is moving up the boards. Two months ago, I would have said we could get Okoye, Carriker, and/or Nelson if we picked at 20 or 21....now it looks like Nelson is the only player of those three who MIGHT be there when pick 20 rolls around.

                  It's so funny...before the combine, I really thought the difficulty in this draft lied within the teams picking between 11 and 20 to find value for their picks...because after the top 8-10 players, everyone seemed to be a late first talent. Now...it seems like all of the value I expected to be present for Denver at #21 is proving worthy of those 10-19 picks, meaning that the difficulty is shifting to those picking at the end of round 1. With Nelson likely to slip from his less than desirable 40 time at the combine, I think he would be a great pickup at #21...but now, the more I think about it, I'm not sure if there is a whole lot of value in picking at #24...unless there turns out to be a specific player we want to target who may be gone by #40 (assuming we get that pick from HOU like this thread specifies). We may be able to help the team more by keeping the 1 first, 2 seconds, and 2 thirds and attempting to accrue value for those picks.

                  Just a thought...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Another idea is to combo some other players (Plummer and Foster if not traded to Houston) with Tatum and maybe a pick to give to Buffalo for the 12th pick overall (or w/e one they have) and we would have a shot at Okoye. Nelson will be there at #21, more than likely, and we could get a stud d-linemen and then pick up a DE or Tank Tyler in the 2nd round. I would also like us to pick up another 2nd round pick, if we can't get into the 1st round.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Historically there is little value in picks 20-32. Most drafts have 10-20 solid impact players, and those that are available in the late first are virtually 2nd round talent.
                      There are exceptions especially when certain positions are loaded, or a good player falls because of a rumor founded or not.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        What would we be giving up? It all depends. Since this is a deep draft Im inclined to say it may not be the best idea but if we could get Carriker and Nelson, that would be nice. But Im not sure I want 2 Rd1 picks then no one until the 6th round either.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DURANGO BRONCO
                          Historically there is little value in picks 20-32. Most drafts have 10-20 solid impact players, and those that are available in the late first are virtually 2nd round talent.
                          There are exceptions especially when certain positions are loaded, or a good player falls because of a rumor founded or not.
                          Clinton Portis is a perfect example of a steal. If I remember correctly, nothing bad about him came out, he just fell to us in the 2nd round and he turned out ok for us.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Assuming we can unload Plummer and Foster for the #40 overall pick with Houston...perhaps we can package Bell, #40, and #70 together and pick up a pick between #10-#15 (Bills most likely at #12). Honestly, this might be the most help for our team as a whole...as long as Nelson slides down to #21. If we got Carriker at #12, Nelson at #21, Tyler at #53, and then maybe a guy like Brandon Jackson at #85, that would be a super first day. If Tyler is gone by #53, we could go the other way and take Pittman or Michael Bush at #53 and try to get Brandon Mebane at #85...filling the same positions. Either way, that would certainly be a sick first day for the Broncos.

                            All of this of course hinges upon being able to get that early 2nd rounder from Houston in exchange for two players we knowingly don't want on our roster next year....not to mention getting the Bills to trade DOWN in the draft...meaning it would be make it impossible for Marv Levy & Co. to make Donte Whitner-like reaches (something they must enjoy doing...see also McCargo, John) in the draft again this year. While this scenario would be lovely, I'm not sure there is a remote chance of the stars aligning in this manner.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by pdrice33
                              Assuming we can unload Plummer and Foster for the #40 overall pick with Houston...perhaps we can package Bell, #40, and #70 together and pick up a pick between #10-#15 (Bills most likely at #12). Honestly, this might be the most help for our team as a whole...as long as Nelson slides down to #21. If we got Carriker at #12, Nelson at #21, Tyler at #53, and then maybe a guy like Brandon Jackson at #85, that would be a super first day. If Tyler is gone by #53, we could go the other way and take Pittman or Michael Bush at #53 and try to get Brandon Mebane at #85...filling the same positions. Either way, that would certainly be a sick first day for the Broncos.

                              All of this of course hinges upon being able to get that early 2nd rounder from Houston in exchange for two players we knowingly don't want on our roster next year....not to mention getting the Bills to trade DOWN in the draft...meaning it would be make it impossible for Marv Levy & Co. to make Donte Whitner-like reaches (something they must enjoy doing...see also McCargo, John) in the draft again this year. While this scenario would be lovely, I'm not sure there is a remote chance of the stars aligning in this manner.
                              Why would you not want to take a chance on Marcus Thomas? Im not sure if many people know his story. He was actually kicked off the UF team twice (although Im sure at some schools he would be allowed to remain on the team) but he has 1st Rd talent.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X