Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I disagree with the late 1st rounders being second round talent

Originally posted by DURANGO BRONCO
    Historically there is little value in picks 20-32. Most drafts have 10-20 solid impact players, and those that are available in the late first are virtually 2nd round talent.
    There are exceptions especially when certain positions are loaded, or a good player falls because of a rumor founded or not.
    I think people forget that this draft is a very deep draft with lots of talent in it, and there is a difference in talent levels in the mid 20's to the second round. I mean the Broncos have struck gold late in the 1st round with Al Wilson and Trevor Pryce while also being really burned when they reached for need positions(Marcus Nash & Willie Middlebrooks). But as far as this draft there is certain 1st round talent at DL to be had in the 20's. Plus if these DL are rising up in the draft then you have to look at who is falling. In that group would be Marshawn Lynch, Dwayne Jarrett, Ted Ginn Jr., Levi Brown, Reggie Nelson, Lawrence Timmons. All of these players would hold value for other teams if we are not interested, thus maybe giving us picks in next years draft when a player like Darren McFadden will come out. There is no bad situation that comes with owning 2 picks in the 1st round.

Also I disagree with the posters that think Tank Tyler will be available in the second round because I believe starting with the Jets at no. 25 any one of the teams remaining in the 1st round could take him. Now that does not mean he couldn't slip into the 2nd round, but it would not be far enough for us to get him. So the question really becomes is Tank Tyler, a run stuffing DT who would fit Jim Bates scheme, worth giving up Jake Plummer and the 70th overall selection(3rd round) for? In my mind yes he is because he fills a huge need for us that we cannot find in the FA market and costs us a 3rd round pick and a player who has no future here for us.

Comment

Why would you not want to take a chance on Marcus Thomas? Im not sure if many people know his story. He was actually kicked off the UF team twice (although Im sure at some schools he would be allowed to remain on the team) but he has 1st Rd talent.
      Thomas simply slipped my mind when I was writing this...I would much rather have Thomas than Mebane...maybe even moreso enough to take him at #53 if Tyler is already gone.

Comment

Now More Than ever this makes sense

With the recent events of the past couple days in which we moved Tatum Bell and George Foster and got Dre Bly and 6th rounder and are about to unload Plummer on the Bucs for a 4th rounder(100th overall) we have a load of picks. We own: no.21(1st), no. 53(2nd), no.70(3rd), no. 85(3rd), no.100(4th), and no.117(4th). That is some serious value on draft day so there is no reason if there is a player we want in the 1st round on top of our no.21 overall pick then we should be able to do it. We could even move up from no. 21 into the the teens to nab an Okoye or Lynch and then move back into the 1st round at no. 24 from the Pats to get a Tank Tyler, Charles Johnson, Jarvis Moss, or maybe Reggie Nelson if he falls.

I mean as I stated before it would only take our 53rd & 70th overall selections to move back into the 1st round at no. 24, well now maybe we use the 70th overall selection to move up a couple spots in the first round into the teens. Then we use the our 85th & 117th selections to get the no. 24 selection. Under this plan we would have a 1st round pick in the teens, no.24 overall, no.100th overall. Or we just keep our picks and maybe move up in the 2nd round or try and get 2 2nd round picks instead of 2 1st round picks, the possibilities or limitless.

For me the 1st round talent is just so good and I truly think we are that close to being a really good team that if we could move up in the draft and snare a Marshawn Lynch, Amobi Okoye, or Adam Carriker in the teens and then grab a Tank Tyler or Reggie Nelson we would really upgrade this team. However if we stand pat or maybe just make a little move up in the 1st round to get a Lynch or Okoye we can really acquire some depth with all our picks. Man this is a good situation to be in.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD3430
          With the recent events of the past couple days in which we moved Tatum Bell and George Foster and got Dre Bly and 6th rounder and are about to unload Plummer on the Bucs for a 4th rounder(100th overall) we have a load of picks. We own: no.21(1st), no. 53(2nd), no.70(3rd), no. 85(3rd), no.100(4th), and no.117(4th). That is some serious value on draft day so there is no reason if there is a player we want in the 1st round on top of our no.21 overall pick then we should be able to do it. We could even move up from no. 21 into the the teens to nab an Okoye or Lynch and then move back into the 1st round at no. 24 from the Pats to get a Tank Tyler, Charles Johnson, Jarvis Moss, or maybe Reggie Nelson if he falls.

I mean as I stated before it would only take our 53rd & 70th overall selections to move back into the 1st round at no. 24, well now maybe we use the 70th overall selection to move up a couple spots in the first round into the teens. Then we use the our 85th & 117th selections to get the no. 24 selection. Under this plan we would have a 1st round pick in the teens, no.24 overall, no.100th overall. Or we just keep our picks and maybe move up in the 2nd round or try and get 2 2nd round picks instead of 2 1st round picks, the possibilities or limitless.

For me the 1st round talent is just so good and I truly think we are that close to being a really good team that if we could move up in the draft and snare a Marshawn Lynch, Amobi Okoye, or Adam Carriker in the teens and then grab a Tank Tyler or Reggie Nelson we would really upgrade this team. However if we stand pat or maybe just make a little move up in the 1st round to get a Lynch or Okoye we can really acquire some depth with all our picks. Man this is a good situation to be in.
          i thought we gave them a 5th rounder?

do you have a link to support this. espn and nfl both reported that we gave them the 5th.

nothing has been said about us getting a 6th.
          Last edited by DenBronx; 03-02-2007, 08:53 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

As it stands right now we have NO 4th or 5th.....but have those two 3rd rounders and two 6th round picks one from detroit 2nd pick in 6th round
            Last edited by marcus_miller; 03-02-2007, 10:42 AM.
            I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition :nono: backhand a fool!

Comment

Working...
            X