Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DL still a draft priority?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DL still a draft priority?

    Do you guys think that one of our main targets in the draft is still DL??? Sure this is all speculation, but if it's true, the front office looks like they're busy trying to find DLs outside of the draft and outside of the Browns organization.

    Broncos | Broncos might pursue White
    Thu, 1 Mar 2007 00:08:43 -0800

    Lee Rasizer, of the Rocky Mountain News, reporting for the Sporting News, reports the Denver Broncos might target Tampa Bay Buccaneers DL Dewayne White for the 2007 season.
    Broncos | Broncos might pursue Smith
    Thu, 1 Mar 2007 00:06:12 -0800

    Lee Rasizer, of the Rocky Mountain News, reporting for the Sporting News, reports the Denver Broncos might target free-agent DL Robaire Smith (Titans), for the 2007 season.

    Broncos | Broncos might pursue Boone
    Thu, 1 Mar 2007 00:03:41 -0800

    Lee Rasizer, of the Rocky Mountain News, reporting for the Sporting News, reports the Denver Broncos might target free-agent DL Alfonso Boone (Bears), for the 2007 season.
    Broncos | Broncos might pursue Scott
    Thu, 1 Mar 2007 00:00:03 -0800

    Lee Rasizer, of the Rocky Mountain News, reporting for the Sporting News, reports the Denver Broncos might target free-agent DL Ian Scott (Bears), for the 2007 season.

  • #2
    I would imagine that the first priority is trying to get some FA veterans that are proven. Then if we can't get any real good FA's, they will make it the draft priority. That most likely goes for every position that we need though.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'd say we'll be needing a DT and a DE, possibly two. Get one via FA/trade and draft the other. I'd like to see us taking a first round power DE or Amobi Okoye. Either way...
      sigpic

      Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

      Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

      Comment


      • #4
        i'd say any of those would be solid signings-- decent mid-level guys who can contribute, but wouldn't break the bank. . . we'll see, but i'm hopeful that we'll have multiple new faces on the D-line one way or the other. . . .
        Officially Objectified by the GPA

        rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Its a huge priority to draft DL I think we can get a quality guy in the 2nd....Quinn Pitcock, ohio..............Justin Harell , tennese...........Brandon Mebane, cal...........and some one later....like round 4 or 5.....................1.FS..... 2. DT.......3a.FB/HB.......3b. LT/RT...4th. DT...................A FA would be great but.............two FA.. i lean toward no with Bly already 1
          Last edited by marcus_miller; 03-01-2007, 01:36 PM.
          I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition :nono: backhand a fool!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by marcus_miller
            Its a huge priority to draft DL I think we can get a quality guy in the 2nd....Quinn Pitcock, ohio..............Justin Harell , tennese...........Brandon Mebane, cal...........and some one later....like round 4 or 5.....................1.FS..... 2. DT.......3a.FB/HB.......3b. LT/RT...4th. DT
            We don't have a 4th or 5th now.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jhns
              We don't have a 4th or 5th now.
              news to me........i hear rummor 5th went with bly.....espn has it at undisclosed late 2nd day.............where did 4th go
              I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition :nono: backhand a fool!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by marcus_miller
                news to me........i hear rummor 5th went with bly.....espn has it at undisclosed late 2nd day.............where did 4th go
                .... We never had one?

                It was dealt off in the Walker trade last year i believe. We have an extra 3rd, and that took us to 7 picks total. Ofcourse now we have 6 picks since we "supposedly" traded the 5th.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think we have a need at DE, DT, RB, and Safety. Whether its via free agency or the draft, I hope to see all of those areas addressed. I think all of those needs could be handled on the first day of the draft if things fell the right way.

                  1- Adam Carriker/Charles Johnson
                  2- Irons/Pittman/Bush
                  3a- Soliai/Thomas/Mebane
                  3b- Weddle/Wendling/Rouse


                  I think we are in a good position right now, and then depending on what happens with Plummer we could improve our situation. Its an exciting time, and I think Denver is going to make some more moves to improve the team. There is not a lot of talent in the FA market, but there are some impact players. Hamlin, Kerney, and Graham would all be nice options but all three might be getting top dollar. Maybe Robaire Smith would be a good DT pick up that wont break the bank.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by GoBroncos84
                    I think we have a need at DE, DT, RB, and Safety. Whether its via free agency or the draft, I hope to see all of those areas addressed. I think all of those needs could be handled on the first day of the draft if things fell the right way.

                    1- Adam Carriker/Charles Johnson
                    2- Irons/Pittman/Bush
                    3a- Soliai/Thomas/Mebane
                    3b- Weddle/Wendling/Rouse


                    I think we are in a good position right now, and then depending on what happens with Plummer we could improve our situation. Its an exciting time, and I think Denver is going to make some more moves to improve the team. There is not a lot of talent in the FA market, but there are some impact players. Hamlin, Kerney, and Graham would all be nice options but all three might be getting top dollar. Maybe Robaire Smith would be a good DT pick up that wont break the bank.
                    I totally agree with this! Denver needs some BIG DTs. They don't have to be able to rush the passer, which means Bates won't push Shanahan to trade up and get Okoye or Branch (both top 10 possibilities).

                    I wouldn't be surprised to see Denver ignore DT in the draft if they can get a FA DT or 2 or via trades.

                    But, I don't know how they will make any FA acquisitions unless they free up a LOT more space under the cap. Presumably Rod Smith's contract could free up some room, and maybe the team will get some more space somewhere else.

                    But, this Bly acquisition may stop them from getting other FAs. Still it's a good deal.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jhns
                      We don't have a 4th or 5th now.
                      Its a huge priority to draft DL I think we can get a quality guy in the 2nd....Quinn Pitcock, ohio..............Justin Harell , tennese...........Brandon Mebane, cal...........and some one later....like round 4 or 5.....................1.FS..... 2. DT.......3a.FB/HB.......3b. LT/RT...4th. DT...................A FA would be great but.............two FA.. i lean toward no with Bly already 1
                      I thought we got a 5th round in lions trade
                      iguess our 5th is our tirh should have stated that better....i did forgett about the 4th though
                      Last edited by marcus_miller; 03-01-2007, 02:55 PM.
                      I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition :nono: backhand a fool!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        does the fact that we can blitz now with two cover corners change your mind...
                        I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition :nono: backhand a fool!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by marcus_miller
                          I thought we got a 5th round in lions trade
                          iguess our 5th is our tirh should have stated that better....i did forgett about the 4th though
                          When I typed that, it was only reported that we where giving away our 5th in the trade. It is not being reported that we get the 5th. So since it is being reported both ways, who knows.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by marcus_miller
                            does the fact that we can blitz now with two cover corners change your mind...

                            no, not in the slightest! lynch is the only decent blitzer on the team-- none of our linebackers have much of a knack for it, as they are undersized and struggle shedding blocks. . . the best defenses create pressure with their front four. . . besides, D-line does more than pressure the QB-- we still have LT and larry johnson to worry about. . . .
                            Officially Objectified by the GPA

                            rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by marcus_miller
                              I thought we got a 5th round in lions trade
                              iguess our 5th is our tirh should have stated that better....i did forgett about the 4th though
                              OK, so the most recent report has us getting the 2nd overall 4th rounder and we won't have a 5th. Maybe I should just wait and figure this out tomorrow when the deal is official.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X