No announcement yet.

Broncos may target Levi Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we've already seen what happens when you plug a massive, slow OT into our system. . . denver will not target levi brown. . . .
    Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
      we've already seen what happens when you plug a massive, slow OT into our system. . . denver will not target levi brown. . . .

i second that! we dont need a ot...even on the first day. we should target one on the second day of the draft.

if were gonna draft up it better be for a RB,DT or DE.
      sigpic

Comment

I still believe that Shanahan is targeting OT in the first round, and he will target D line in the second.

The trade up for Detroit's #2 pick makes me think that Mike was interested in Joe Thomas. We won't go there, so we target the next best OT down the line... that is Levi Brown.

There have also been rumors that we are changing our whole offense to fit the pass first run second system. Shanahan wants BIG lineman on offense.
        R.I.P. Darrent Williams

R.I.P. Damien Nash

Comment

I think if we're going to go with an Offensive lineman in the early rounds, I will agree with Scott Wright from NFLdraftcountdown that James Marten out of BC is a great get for us in the second round. The guy is big, strong, athletic and has a downright nasty demeanor on the field, shown by his penchant for practically starting fights with almost every d-lineman that tried to rush past him at the Senior Bowl. BC has a good history of producing solid NFL offensive linemen. Guys like Marc Colombo, Pete Kendall, our very own Tom Nalen, Chris Snee, Jeremy Trueblood, and Damien Woody.

This is a blurb from Scott Wright's mock draft where he selects Marten for us.
          56. DENVER BRONCOS
          James Marten OT | Boston College | Scouting Report
          Classic BC o-lineman and a mauler who will be an absolutely perfect fit for the Denver system.

Zero Wing, the greatest Japanese to English translation ever...

Comment

Originally posted by LoufromLItt.
            I still believe that Shanahan is targeting OT in the first round, and he will target D line in the second.

The trade up for Detroit's #2 pick makes me think that Mike was interested in Joe Thomas. We won't go there, so we target the next best OT down the line... that is Levi Brown.

There have also been rumors that we are changing our whole offense to fit the pass first run second system. Shanahan wants BIG lineman on offense.
            That's BigGER, not BIG AND SLOW!

There's no indication they are abandoning their zone-blocking scheme, they are just trying to find some larger OTs who are fast and strong. That's not easy, but the typical HUGE road-graders who get taken at the top of the draft are not what Denver needs. Joe Thomas would be an exception, since he's very fast as well as big and talented. But, Thomas will be gone with the 2nd pick of the draft to the Lions. So, there's no chance of getting him (Shanahan has ended negotiations with Detroit over their pick).

George Foster was big and slow. Shanahan thought he had "quick feet" and he did -- but only to the buffet table!

I don't know that drafting the same exact type of OT that every other team wants makes any sense for the Broncos.
            sigpic

Comment

ROTF -- Good one, Cug!

Originally posted by Cugel
              George Foster was big and slow. Shanahan thought he had "quick feet" and he did -- but only to the buffet table!

Personally, I would rather see a stud DT in there than any other position.

I believe with that one player, the Broncos would be a different team.

IMHO.

-----

Comment

I do think OT is a big need. We only have 3 OTs and two of them are coming off injuries, Lepsis and Meadows. We need some depth and/or a project for a year or two down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe

IMHO.

-----
                  me 2! Right after the Stud DT i would like to see a power LDE, (Carriker, Johnson, Spencer).

Stud LDE - Warren - The Stud DT you mentioned - And speedy Dumerville

It would be a line to be rekoned with. Eukabon, and lang offer depth. Wilkenson (Since we are so determined to make him play for us) and Meyers (since no-one else will take him) will offer depth at DT.

The problem? How and Where do we get a Stud DT and Power LDE???
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe

IMHO.

-----
                    I would too, but do not think there is a stud DT in this draft. Should say there is one but I do not think there is an obvious one. Okoye may take a few years to get that point, Branch is a boom or bust type player.

The DT that I think we should target is Soliai, huge body to put next to Warren.

Anyone know how good the DT position is for 2008 draft?

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                    J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                    R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

once again, denver will NOT target levi brown. . . i do beleive that they would be very interested in thomas (who wouldn't) if they could move that high, but brown simply does not fit our scheme-- if we draft an OT in the 1st round, you can bet it will be joe staley. . .

i'm also interested in marten-- in fact, i've been thinking about putting him on the wishlist in my sig. . . i do think that the 2nd round is a little high for him-- we'll see, but it seems to me that he should be available in the 3rd. . . . my only concern is that the reports i've read on him are somewhat conflicting when it comes to the true extent of his quickness and athleticism-- but i would love to get a guy on the line who plays with that kind of attitude. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007
                        I would too, but do not think there is a stud DT in this draft. Should say there is one but I do not think there is an obvious one. Okoye may take a few years to get that point, Branch is a boom or bust type player.

The DT that I think we should target is Soliai, huge body to put next to Warren.

Anyone know how good the DT position is for 2008 draft?

don't know much about it myself, but dream says that it's much better than this years (which isn't hard). . . i agree that okoye is going to take time to become an impact player, and i'm not comfortable with the thought of giving up multiple picks and/or valuable players to get a guy who may not contribute for years. . . . i would certainly take branch at #21, or even make a modest trade up to get him, but no way i'd sell the farm for him either. . . i would take a chance on marcus thomas if he's available in the 3rd. . . but i agree (obviously) that soliai is the guy we should target. . . .

Comment

Actually, Joe Staley is ranked #5 for OT's. #4, who've I've been supporting since he was on MTV's True Life, Ryan Harris from Notre Dame has upped his stock from a Buick to a Benz. A once projected 3rd round OT is now above Joe Staley? A 1st-2nd round prospect? Talk about the combine helping you out.

Anyway, I still say Harris would be a good pickup. And if Thomas nor Brown are availble, get Harris and then Long next year. A scary OL is then gonna be in the making.

Comment

If we draft a OT don't expect them to play right away, as it takes time to learn our system.

I was real high on Staley until the Sr. Bowl, he played horrible and was responsible for at least 2 sacks. Thomas would be good but to costly. Levi Brown is not very athletic and would likely look like Foster out there.

It is realistic that we add a OT, in the mid to later rounds. Most of these guys will be NFL ready in 2-3 years, I suggest:

2nd-3rd rds

Ryan Harris - ND - Natural athlete that needs to gain strength.

Doug Free - No. Ill - Can move his feet with good size from mid level program

3rd-4th rds

James Marten - BC already mentioned

5th-6th rds

Adams Koets - OR St. Quick and athletic - needs strength
                            Elliot Vallejo - Cal Davis - Moves well - needs to get more physical
                            Clint Oldenburg - CO - plays hard and has quickness. Arms are short.

Comment

I'm laughing at the posts suggesting Brown and Foster are comparable.

Levi Brown is the real deal. He has longer arms than even Joe Thomas and is very light on his feet. He plays with a mean streak and has leadership skills as he was also a team captain at his school and started 4 years. Many consider him a better long term prospect over Joe Thomas because he has no injury history and his measureables are better.

George Foster just sucks. He never played a complete season in college and had injury issues coming in. Everyone was shocked the Shanahan selected him when they did with no experience and little to impress.

And for the last time: Foster doesn't suck because he was in the wrong system, or because he was suited to play guard, or because he liked Plummer more, et al. Foster sucked because he's a bad football player and he doesn't try!
                              KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Comment

Foster and Brown are comparable when Foster came out of college. Foster went the wrong way, and Brown who is apparently intelligent should develop. The problem with Brown is that he is not very good with his feet and will likely be playing on the right side unless he improves a lot. He is very physical but NFL speed rushers might get past him to often. Not sure that it is wise to burn a 1st round pick on a RT when we have Pears and Meadows and other gaping holes to fill.

Comment

Working...
                                X