Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the Bly trade affect the draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the Bly trade affect the draft?

Its great to be a Broncos fan today with the news that we were able to dump spare parts and a 5th round pick to get a pro bowl CB in Dre Bly to play opposite Champ. But what could be even better news is how this trade might affect the NFL draft.

The Detroit Lions have the no. 2 overall pick in the draft and there was great speculation that they would take Wisconsin OT Joe Thomas with that pick. The thought was the Lions would insert Joe Thomas at LT and move Jon Backus, who they just signed to a big long-term contract, over to RT. But now that they essentially traded for George Foster one would think that they plan on getting some return investment for giving up Dre Bly in that deal.

Thus do the Lions decide to keep Backus at LT and insert Foster at RT and go in a different direction in the draft like picking the best player in the draft Calvin Johnson or getting one of the QBs? It would seem odd for the Lions to trade for Foster when they could have just demanded a higher draft pick and then go and use the no. 2 overall pick on Joe Thomas and plant Foster square on the bench along with Tatum Bell.

So if the Lions go a different direction than Joe Thomas at no. 2 then that lets Thomas fall to the Browns, who in my opinion really want Thomas, then that drops Adrian Peterson out of the no. 3 selection and there is no team that really needs a RB until the Texans at no. 8. So maybe because of this trade it bumps Peterson to where he will be available at no. 8, and I think if that happens on draft day then Mike might have a deal worked out with his old buddies Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak to move up and get Peterson. I don't think that deal would be made until the no. 8 pick comes up in draft day and Peterson is still on the board, but its an interesting thought as a windfall from the trade to get Dre Bly.

Originally posted by JerryD3430
    Its great to be a Broncos fan today with the news that we were able to dump spare parts and a 5th round pick to get a pro bowl CB in Dre Bly to play opposite Champ. But what could be even better news is how this trade might affect the NFL draft.

The Detroit Lions have the no. 2 overall pick in the draft and there was great speculation that they would take Wisconsin OT Joe Thomas with that pick. The thought was the Lions would insert Joe Thomas at LT and move Jon Backus, who they just signed to a big long-term contract, over to RT. But now that they essentially traded for George Foster one would think that they plan on getting some return investment for giving up Dre Bly in that deal.

Thus do the Lions decide to keep Backus at LT and insert Foster at RT and go in a different direction in the draft like picking the best player in the draft Calvin Johnson or getting one of the QBs? It would seem odd for the Lions to trade for Foster when they could have just demanded a higher draft pick and then go and use the no. 2 overall pick on Joe Thomas and plant Foster square on the bench along with Tatum Bell.

So if the Lions go a different direction than Joe Thomas at no. 2 then that lets Thomas fall to the Browns, who in my opinion really want Thomas, then that drops Adrian Peterson out of the no. 3 selection and there is no team that really needs a RB until the Texans at no. 8. So maybe because of this trade it bumps Peterson to where he will be available at no. 8, and I think if that happens on draft day then Mike might have a deal worked out with his old buddies Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak to move up and get Peterson. I don't think that deal would be made until the no. 8 pick comes up in draft day and Peterson is still on the board, but its an interesting thought as a windfall from the trade to get Dre Bly.
    OK, what do you see the Broncos giving up to get to #8?

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD3430

What you're saying has something to it, but not in the way you think. If Peterson falls to the 8th pick, the Texans will grab him (we're buddies with Kubiak, but that doesn't mean he trades away a chance to grab a major need for his team). However, if Peterson falls to the 8th pick then that nudges Lynch down into the teens, where we can easily move up and grab him.

As a side note, Broncos fans need to get over their Peterson fixation. Last season we were only able to jump up to the 11th pick with more trade value to work with. The chances we can jump up to 8th is almost nil, especially considering Houston needs a back as bad as we do.
      Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

well if the Plummer to Tampa for a 4th ruonder are true then its gonna have to be draft picks. I mean we are accumlating draft picks for a reason, whether it is to trade for veteran players or to move up in the draft we have them for a reason. So to move up to no. 8 it probably costs no. 21, no. 53, and no. 70, I don't know if it worth it but it could be done. Either way we will do something at the RB position here very soon.

Plus in regards to moving up last year we only had to move up to no. 11 to get Cutler because he fell there. If we thought we had to move up higher to get him then we would have.
        Last edited by JerryD3430; 03-02-2007, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X