No announcement yet.

Denver targeting a safety in the draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver targeting a safety in the draft?

Someone said it best in another thread that its extremely difficult to read Shanahan. Hopefully there is a method to his madness and its not random spur of the moment thoughts. Anyway, one position that I havent heard about Denver upgrading either in trade or FA is safety. We're looking at Kerney and a number of RBs but not safety that I recall. Do you think its because he is locked in on a guy whether thats Griffen, Nelson or Merriweather? I realize going after Kerney doesnt mean we wont draft a DE...and you can even say that it underscores they recognize it as a need. But still, havent seen anything about the safety position through FA or trades.

Originally posted by lex
    Someone said it best in another thread that its extremely difficult to read Shanahan. Hopefully there is a method to his madness and its not random spur of the moment thoughts. Anyway, one position that I havent heard about Denver upgrading either in trade or FA is safety. We're looking at Kerney and a number of RBs but not safety that I recall. Do you think its because he is locked in on a guy whether thats Griffen, Nelson or Merriweather? I realize going after Kerney doesnt mean we wont draft a DE...and you can even say that it underscores they recognize it as a need. But still, havent seen anything about the safety position through FA or trades.

There is age concern at Safety, obviously, and in the end, most teams go with what they perceive as 'value' when they select, and IMO, the value will be at Safety at #21 rather than D-Line....so I am on record....Texas Safety Michael Griffin is my prediction for the No. 1 pick.

Comment

Originally posted by MindField
      There is age concern at Safety, obviously, and in the end, most teams go with what they perceive as 'value' when they select, and IMO, the value will be at Safety at #21 rather than D-Line....so I am on record....Texas Safety Michael Griffin is my prediction for the No. 1 pick.
      I think Nelson is the better safety but you might be right.

Comment

i have to go with nelson. griffin wouldnt be a bad pick either.

Comment

Originally posted by D.J.55
          i have to go with nelson. griffin wouldnt be a bad pick either.

Didn't see that one coming.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1986
            Didn't see that one coming.
            i wonder why?

Comment

If steve atwater and ed reed were cloned into one person.... it would be reggie nelson.........where are the experts perdicting he will go...22nd...we pick 21st...

The experts are predicting we take DL.....they were predicting CB.......With a nelson...bly....champ...we can BLITZ the kitchen sink

No 4 DL can do great at pass rush they need blitzers
              teams run the 3-4 .....why so the can send blitzers on every play

You want a pass rush BLITZ
              you want to BLITZ blanket the secondary
              I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition :nono: backhand a fool!

Comment

I'm not ruling out DT Alan Branch.

He's slipping as it is, but I doubt he falls much past the middle-high teens. If Denver really wants Alan Branch, and Bates apparently has said DT is our greatest need, then it won't be hard for Denver to trade a 3rd rounder and move up and get him. They probably just need to get ahead of Cincinatti at pick 18.

Comment

I don't even think they are looking at getting a safety. We have good safety play and it isn't even a concern. The only concern is age. So the best I think all of you guys that want a safety are going to get is a later pick for depth. I will bet anyone that Ferguson and Lynch are the starters next season though.

Comment

Originally posted by jhns
                    I don't even think they are looking at getting a safety. We have good safety play and it isn't even a concern. The only concern is age. So the best I think all of you guys that want a safety are going to get is a later pick for depth. I will bet anyone that Ferguson and Lynch are the starters next season though.
                    i'll take that bet....want to bet first born
                    I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition :nono: backhand a fool!

Comment

This coming season, Lynch and Ferguson are starting. Draft Nelson or Griffin and let them sit on the bench for a year like Palmer. Next season send them in at FS because Lynch is probably going to retire then. He only has one good year left in him. Maybe two, but that's really pushing it.

Comment

Originally posted by NickTranOwnz
                        This coming season, Lynch and Ferguson are starting. Draft Nelson or Griffin and let them sit on the bench for a year like Palmer. Next season send them in at FS because Lynch is probably going to retire then. He only has one good year left in him. Maybe two, but that's really pushing it.
                        Honestly though, Ferguson is OK but I dont see him remaining a starter in front of Landry, Nelson or Meriweather. Ferguson read and react isnt the best. He lets a lot of stuff happen in front of him that safeties with better instincts or read and react dont. Plus you will see a few more deflections turn into interceptions with these guys. And because of this they (esp Nelson) would allow Lynch to play at the LOS more. It may take a little while to get used to offenses but it shouldnt take that long before ol' Nick is supplanted.

Comment

Working...
                        X