Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jake Plummer Will Not Retire! Traded To Bucs Officially!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake Plummer Will Not Retire! Traded To Bucs Officially!

It was just on ESPN News... Apparently for a 2008 draft pick and a player...

That 2008 draft pick has to be a high pick, maybe a 2nd? Possibly 1st?

Either way, Jeff Garcia and Plummer, Bucs are suddenly stacked at QB
    sigpic

No way, is there a link.

Comment

wow if this is true, hope an early pick next year... wonder who the player is

Comment

We also got a DB for a sixth round pick. We don't know who yet
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
          It was just on ESPN News... Apparently for a 2008 draft pick and a player...

That 2008 draft pick has to be a high pick, maybe a 2nd? Possibly 1st?

Either way, Jeff Garcia and Plummer, Bucs are suddenly stacked at QB

This is crazy. My head is spinning from all this activity. Good news though, but I'll still take it with a grain of salt.

Comment

I saw it 2.

Comment

Well that's good news! I'll feel better when I see a link though....

Comment

Turn to espn.

Comment

its true it is on ESPNnews now.

Comment

This good because now it frees up 5 million dollars for the Broncos to sign free agents. Good work Front Office! I am so glad to be free of Jake!
                    Broncos fans since age 6.
                    Fanatical Broncos fan since 1991.
                    Favorite Player: John Elway
                    Favorite Coach: Mike Shanahan

Comment

Originally posted by Loyalty
                      This good because now it frees up 5 million dollars for the Broncos to sign free agents. Good work Front Office! I am so glad to be free of Jake!
                      it saves us 50000 in cap space, his bonuses still count against us, so no we didnt save anythign really

Comment

Its good to know the Broncos will have the ability to still go after his signing bonus money.

Originally posted by Profootballtalk.com
                        The trade of quarterback Jake Plummer to the Bucs is aimed at preventing Plummer from retiring for a few months and then unretiring to play for the Texans, explains Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

Per Schefter, the trade states that Plummer either unretires and plays for the Bucs, or Plummer retires and the Broncos retain the ability to pursue the unallocated portion of his signing bonus.

But if Plummer unretires, Tampa will have to have $5.3 million in cap room to carry his base salary. So, in essence, Plummer can opt to force Tampa's hand by saying, "Sure, I'll show up." It will force Tampa to pay him $5.3 million or cut him.

Or trade him, perhaps to the Texans.

Regardless of how it all works out, it's an odd development for a day on which the headline in Tampa should be the acquisition of quarterback Jeff Garcia.

Comment

Following a wild 24 hours of public speculation regarding the future and a reported retirement decision by Jake Plummer, the Broncos executed a trade of the quarterback Saturday morning, sending him to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for a conditional selection in the 2008 NFL Draft.

The Broncos also sent their 2007 sixth-round pick to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for Dan Wilkinson, who is at the cusp of his 14th season after being the No. 1 overall selection in the 1994 NFL Draft.

More to come ...
                          there you have it .

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2786694

Welcome Travis!

Bailey Baby!

Comment

I think its freakin' hilarious.

If Jake would have unretired, he would have forced our hand to release him and he still would have counted heavily on our future books. When he essentiallly pulled his "I'll retire rather then go to the Bucs" stance, he made a massive powerplay.

Now, the Broncos just put their boot up his @ss. We'll probably only get a 7th round selection in 2008, but what we did was remove Plummer from our books for future liability and took all his power away.

Now, if he wants to play again, he's going to have to negotiate with Tampa Bay to trade him since he won't be playing in Tampa. And you know Tampa is not going to be happy about Plummer rebuffing them.

I also think the Broncos became annoyed with the Texans whom apparently were just waiting for Plummer to be released, and who likely had insider dealings and a role in his "block" to Tampa Bay.

Now, the Texans have no choice but to trade with Tampa Bay to get Plummer. And if Plummer retires, the Bucs have no cap hit, so they don't care.

This trade really screws the Texans and Plummer.

However, Plummer has only one power play left. He can inform the Bucs that he will be reporting to play this season for his 5m figure. The Bucs, depending on how spiteful they wish to be, can handle that cap hit and bury Plummer on the sidelines, or they can release him for no penalty.

I think what will happen is that the Bucs will trade Plummer to the Texans for a draft pick this year. Whatever draft pick that is, the Broncos will probably get it's image in 2008. All this move did was take all the power out of Jake and the Texans hands, and put it in the Bucs. And I believe the Bucs are essentially acting as agents for the Broncos in doing this deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X