Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are we so active in FA?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why are we so active in FA?

    These past couple of days have been terribly wild so I think it's time to ask the question why are we being so active in FA.

    I think that there are two good reasons to ask this question the first is that we are going after a running back which is a huge change in policy. Whoever it is Travis or Green or Mcgahee, it will be a departure from the way things have normally been done in Dove Valley.

    The other is Dan Wilkinson he's 34 and I know we didn't give up much for him but we did give up a draft pick, I think this shows a win now policy that is a shift.

    I think the best answer that I have is that we are trying to win one for Rod Smith. I don't think Shanny feels his job is in danger, Sundquist seems pretty safe to me as well.

    So IMHO I think they are trying to get another ring for Rod to help him go out on top and maybe to also help his Hall of Fame chances. I think he is the only older guy on the team who is really looking at only one more year, who could also command the respect needed to change the teams philosophy this much.

  • #2
    It also could be because of some totally random, wild, crazy reason..... trying to be a better football team....
    [A HREF = 'http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/...williamsxt5.jpg'][/A]

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by atomicbloke
      It also could be because of some totally random, wild, crazy reason..... trying to be a better football team....
      LMAO

      Yea. We on a mission for Nash and Williams this year, and you can actually tell we want it. Big moves being made htis year.

      Comment


      • #4
        We are totally revamping our defense and soon to offense.

        Which I support 100%

        Comment


        • #5
          This is a great thread to start and I appreciate you doing so.

          When it comes down to it, I think the Broncos are looking to build a team that's in a win now mode. There are a lot of key players on the Broncos who are aging and it's likely that the best shot for us to win now is within a few years. The Broncos are getting some guys for the long-term, but it's also helping us in the short term. We finally found a quarterback worth building a team around and we're starting to make a more pro-active approach in that manner.

          I expect a FA running back and Daniel Graham to highlight our FA class. Outside that, who knows - but we have four first day selections who can come in and help too.

          Great thread buddy!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by atomicbloke
            It also could be because of some totally random, wild, crazy reason..... trying to be a better football team....
            I'm pretty sure that's always been the case, but why have they changed the strategy about how they go about building a better football team?

            Dig a little deeper into the topic.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Dream
              This is a great thread to start and I appreciate you doing so.

              When it comes down to it, I think the Broncos are looking to build a team that's in a win now mode. There are a lot of key players on the Broncos who are aging and it's likely that the best shot for us to win now is within a few years. The Broncos are getting some guys for the long-term, but it's also helping us in the short term. We finally found a quarterback worth building a team around and we're starting to make a more pro-active approach in that manner.

              I expect a FA running back and Daniel Graham to highlight our FA class. Outside that, who knows - but we have four first day selections who can come in and help too.

              Great thread buddy!
              I think this is a good point as well, how many roster spots are we willing looking at replacing this off-season?

              I wouldn't be surprised at this point to see us start packaging picks to move up in the draft after people who can make a more immediate impact and not going for project players.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Fan in exile
                These past couple of days have been terribly wild so I think it's time to ask the question why are we being so active in FA.

                I think that there are two good reasons to ask this question the first is that we are going after a running back which is a huge change in policy. Whoever it is Travis or Green or Mcgahee, it will be a departure from the way things have normally been done in Dove Valley.

                The other is Dan Wilkinson he's 34 and I know we didn't give up much for him but we did give up a draft pick, I think this shows a win now policy that is a shift.

                I think the best answer that I have is that we are trying to win one for Rod Smith. I don't think Shanny feels his job is in danger, Sundquist seems pretty safe to me as well.

                So IMHO I think they are trying to get another ring for Rod to help him go out on top and maybe to also help his Hall of Fame chances. I think he is the only older guy on the team who is really looking at only one more year, who could also command the respect needed to change the teams philosophy this much.
                The reason is that we're just cool like that. Rod's already caught an 80 yd touchdown in the Superbowl. If he doesn't make in into the HOF then it will truly be a total joke. (like it isn't already...) Shanny wants to win. I don't think he's fighting for his job like some of you (AFCCG two years ago won't get you fired). Luckily Bowlen is smarter than some fans who want him gone after ONE mediocre season...

                He just wants to win. It's the way he rolls man. And Wilkinson has BATES written all over him, not Shanny.

                I bet you anything Chief fans would sacrifice Tony Gonzalez to have a FO as active as ours...


                RIP D-Will and Nash

                Comment


                • #9
                  Darrent, Nash, Al, Champ, John Lynch, Rod, Javon <-- all guys who we want to win a ring for. If we're trying to win one NOW, this year is as good as any.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The TEAM is not trying to win for any one guy..............
                    We want a win for everybody fans etc and we want to win NOW....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We have a bunch of new coaches added over the past eighteen months. I think they've given their input on the types of players they want and Shanny has listened.

                      The team is a good one with many talented players. The FA signings fill spots and maybe have added a star (Dre' Bly). As was stated above, it's all about making us better and fielding a team that can be competitive with the league's best.

                      I also think our moves in free agency are due to the fact that not many of the players we've drafted over the past few years are still with the team. 2001 draft has one player left - Ben Hamilton. 2002 draft has one player left - Sam Brandon. 2003 draft - no one is still around. 2004 draft - two players left -- D.J. Williams and Jeff Shoate.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Folks I recognize that the team is always trying to win, that's one of the reasons why I love them.

                        My question really is why they have changed their philosophy about how they go about winning.

                        Do you guys agree with my thinking that they have changed their philosophy?

                        If so why do you think they did?

                        If not why don't you think they have changed their philosophy?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Grover
                          We have a bunch of new coaches added over the past eighteen months. I think they've given their input on the types of players they want and Shanny has listened.

                          The team is a good one with many talented players. The FA signings fill spots and maybe have added a star (Dre' Bly). As was stated above, it's all about making us better and fielding a team that can be competitive with the league's best.

                          I also think our moves in free agency are due to the fact that not many of the players we've drafted over the past few years are still with the team. 2001 draft has one player left - Ben Hamilton. 2002 draft has one player left - Sam Brandon. 2003 draft - no one is still around. 2004 draft - two players left -- D.J. Williams and Jeff Shoate.
                          I think you make a good point about the coaching changes I hadn't considered that actually.

                          Do you think this means Shanny may be relaxing his grip on the personel department?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think they are trying to win one for Jake!

                            Seriously though, I like the aggressiveness showed by the Broncos. They are always active trading and in free agency, but this year has been crazy so far. The Broncos' proactive approach is one of the things I love about them.

                            Regarding running backs, I think they have to differ their approach this year because frankly they don't have many running backs on the roster right now. Yes, they will draft a running back, but I'm sure they would like to bring in a proven commodity just in case the pick doesn't pan out or takes a year to develop. It kind of reminds me of when they brought in Garrison Hearst a couple years back.

                            As far as winning one more for Rod, I really don't think that is a case. Of course they would like Rod to win another ring, but that is not the driving force behind their approach this offseason.
                            R.I.P. Darrent Williams

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Fan in Exile Wrote:
                              Do you think this means Shanny may be relaxing his grip on the personel department?
                              Actually, yes I do think Shanahan is relaxing his grip on the personnel department. Not that I have any real proof of that. But I think Ted Sundquist has matured and done a good job. The team hired Heimerdinger last year - highly respected coach and a good friend of Shanahan's. Bates got hired this year bringing with him an aggressive defensive style and another good reputation with tons of experience.

                              It seems like Shanahan has surrounded himself with good strong coaches and I think perhaps he's talking with them and building a team around a consensus of opinion as to what types of players the coaches want. (At least that's my hope) And I think all our activity in free agency is an indicator that things are a bit different.

                              I really think we go DE with our first pick - and if we do that, then things REALLY will have proven out to be different.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X