Actually Jake helped the cap tremendously

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually Jake helped the cap tremendously

I just heard on ESPN news that by Jake accepting the trade that Denver is now out of his contract and that it is Tampa's problem. This all falls under the new rules of the CBA.

Also if Jake steps it up and does play we will also get a pick next year. This will be based on pure performance. If Tampa shops Jake then the pick will still stand. We won big time by just being able to dump his salary.

This will greatly help us snaggle a couple of good free agents. I think our cap just shot up at least another 5.4 mil.
    sigpic

This seems too good to be true.Are you sure it frees up that much space?

Comment

Flushed

IMO... 5.4 million cap relief is better than a 4th round pick!

Comment

Originally posted by gaberox
        actully i think we save 5.4mil but the Bonus we have to pay which is like 2 to 2.5 mil so i think we save 3 to 2.5mil.. but i dont no.. we will find out soon enough, if we sign Henery and the DE end guy Karney(how ever u spell it) i would say it freed up 5.4mil

Comment

Originally posted by gaberox

that was his base/bonus for this year
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tpoz34
            actully i think we save 5.4mil but the Bonus we have to pay which is like 2 to 2.5 mil so i think we save 3 to 2.5mil.. but i dont no.. we will find out soon enough, if we sign Henery and the DE end guy Karney(how ever u spell it) i would say it freed up 5.4mil

actually they were saying jake would have to pay us, if he retires. and his salary is no longer our problem. but yes the whole 5.4 mil

its also being reported that he is retired for now as a buc. the bucs now retain all of his rights. they are shopping him with houston.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenBronx
              I just heard on ESPN news that by Jake accepting the trade that Denver is now out of his contract and that it is Tampa's problem. This all falls under the new rules of the CBA.

Also if Jake steps it up and does play we will also get a pick next year. This will be based on pure performance. If Tampa shops Jake then the pick will still stand. We won big time by just being able to dump his salary.

This will greatly help us snaggle a couple of good free agents. I think our cap just shot up at least another 5.4 mil.
              Jake's SALARY IS Miami's "problem" if he reports and decides to "un-retire."

But, unfortunately that does nothing much for the cap because he signed a new contract last year and is being traded after one year on his contract.

So, his entire remaining pro-rated signing bonus gets accelerated and counts on the cap this year. So, his salary is subtracted and something like 4/5 of his signing bonus is added to the cap.

Somebody did the math and stated that the net effect is something like $50,000 in cap savings. I don't know what the actual number are, but the net effect shouldn't be that great.

IF the Broncos wanted to generate a couple of million in cap relief they would designate Plummer as a June 1 cut. Then his remaining signing bonus would be divided between this year and the next. So, whatever it is, only half would count against this year's cap.

But, if they did that they lose Plummer for nothing, because he then becomes a FA.

Obviously Shanahan found someone willing to offer a high 4th round pick for him.

What to think about the "conditional" 2008 pick for Plummer I don't know. But, it could be an afterthought at this point. Shanahan might just be really pissed that Plummer is costing him a 4th round pick and wants to make sure he doesn't "unretire" and sign with Houston.

How that might happen I don't know.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                Jake's SALARY IS Miami's "problem" if he reports and decides to "un-retire."

But, unfortunately that does nothing much for the cap because he signed a new contract last year and is being traded after one year on his contract.

So, his entire remaining pro-rated signing bonus gets accelerated and counts on the cap this year. So, his salary is subtracted and something like 4/5 of his signing bonus is added to the cap.

Somebody did the math and stated that the net effect is something like $50,000 in cap savings. I don't know what the actual number are, but the net effect shouldn't be that great.

IF the Broncos wanted to generate a couple of million in cap relief they would designate Plummer as a June 1 cut. Then his remaining signing bonus would be divided between this year and the next. So, whatever it is, only half would count against this year's cap.

But, if they did that they lose Plummer for nothing, because he then becomes a FA.

Obviously Shanahan found someone willing to offer a high 4th round pick for him.

What to think about the "conditional" 2008 pick for Plummer I don't know. But, it could be an afterthought at this point. Shanahan might just be really pissed that Plummer is costing him a 4th round pick and wants to make sure he doesn't "unretire" and sign with Houston.

How that might happen I don't know.

Cugel, im not the one reporting this. It was just on ESPN live. With the NEW CBA rules jakes whole salary/contract is no longer our problem and his 5.4 mil cap space is re-excellerated into the cap.

According to ESPN what your saying no longer applies, the Bucs now have that problem. They now retain all right and his full contract.
                sigpic

Comment

All I care about...

Does this mean that there will be no dead money on the cap after this year? This year is the last year Plummers contract will be on the Broncos cap?

Comment

Cugel, im not the one reporting this. It was just on ESPN live. With the NEW CBA rules jakes whole salary/contract is no longer our problem and his 5.4 mil cap space is re-excellerated into the cap.

According to ESPN what your saying no longer applies, the Bucs now have that problem. They now retain all right and his full contract.
                    I'm not sure I understand. Are they saying that the remaining pro-rated portion of the signing bonus is also transferred?

Why would any team trade then? Normally, when a team accepts a trade they take the player and can re-negotiate a new signing bonus. Meanwhile the old team just has to eat the un-finished portion of the old signing bonus.

Maybe the new CBA changed the rules. I haven't seen it so I have no idea. That would be a big cap savings, but I have no idea why Miami would accept that deal then. Jake has a BIG contract, and that's a lot of money to assume for a potentially 3rd string QB (behind Chris Simms and Garcia).

I don't know what to think about this. Perhaps they mean that his current $5 million salary is transferred and is now the Dolphins problem. But, that would be the case whether Denver cut him or traded him. No salary in the NFL is guaranteed. So, if a team cuts you, that's it. You don't get any more salary -- just like in your job.

If they fire you, they don't have to pay you the rest of the year's salary! (Would be nice if they did though -- that's true in European countries! Workers are given lenghty mandatory severance pay)!
                    sigpic

Comment

Sounds great. I hope that's the case.

--I'm not saying you're wrong, but ESPN has been off target in the past.
                      My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

His salary dosent count against the cap t his year. That is why we save 5 mil. His signing bonus was already paid last year when his extension was given. The salary that he would have been paid on 6/1 is now the responsibility of the Bucs...unless they trade him before June 1. If he stays retired, he does not even count against the Bucs cap.
                        If he had retired as a Bronco, he would have to pay back a prorated portion of his bonus, but now that hes a Buc, thats his to keep.

The Broncos now have 9 million to play with!
                        sigpic
                        AMPIPE

Comment

did he help it 5.4 by himself?plus the 2 we already had??So we have 7 or 5

sigpic

Comment

It depends on what happens.

If Plummer unretires, then the Bucs will have to pay him his money and Denver gets the cap savings and the draft pick. If he stays retired, we save on his salary but pay the accelerated signing bonus. By retiring, Plummer saved us very little money.
                            ----------------------------------------------------------------
                            "…our brothers are silent, for they dare not speak the thoughts of their minds. For all must agree with all, and they cannot know if their thoughts are the thoughts of all, and so they fear to speak."

Anthem

Comment

Hope this is true! Great Post :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                              X