• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character vs Talent

Which is more important to you?

A low character guy that is slightly more talented than average

or

A high character guy that is slightly less talented than average

Just wanted to see what everyone's stance is on this.

The poll is public.
    High character, slightly less talent
    81.25%
    Low character, slightly more talent
    18.75%

I want to have a good mix of both. Work ethic is also another key factor when evaluating a player.

Comment

Originally posted by Alps2315
      I want to have a good mix of both. Work ethic is also another key factor when evaluating a player.

So do I, but that is not the question.

Comment

how much "low character" are we talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
          So do I, but that is not the question.
          yes and no. i would take high character and less than average talent. I.E., The Bengals

Comment

Originally posted by OmegaBum
            how much "low character" are we talking about?

Enough to fill a thimble.

Comment

cream always rises to the top
              id rather cheer for a bunch of guys w high character and less talent
              having a good character does wonders for a football team in their quest for glory
              sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

depends on the situation! is the "bad character" wife-beating, laziness and lack of work ethic, gun-toting thuggery and general pacman jones behavior. . . or an occasional liking for the chronic like our guy mike anderson? and are we talking about big-dollar free agent signings, or picking up an undrafted free agent? i'd generally lean towards character, but i don't want to draft rudy in the first round. . . .
                Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

The type of character issues definitely matter. I'd happily take a guy like Brandon Meriweather (S, Miami), but not Marcus Thomas (DT, Florida).

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
                    depends on the situation! is the "bad character" wife-beating, laziness and lack of work ethic, gun-toting thuggery and general pacman jones behavior. . . or an occasional liking for the chronic like our guy mike anderson? and are we talking about big-dollar free agent signings, or picking up an undrafted free agent? i'd generally lean towards character, but i don't want to draft rudy in the first round. . . .

Yeah, it depends.

I didn't give specifics in reguards to how much character or talent.

Assume the ratio's are as follows, and decide which trait is more important to you.

I'll assign numbers from my imaginary scale.....

Let's say

Bronco prospect "A" has a character rating of 4 and a talent level of 8

compared to

Bronco prospect "B" which has a character rating of 8 and a talent level of 6

Which one do you prefer?

Bronco prospect "A" has a better chance of reaching elite levels of play but also has a better chance of being a bust.

Bronco prospect "B" may never reach elite levels of play, but he will be an extremely hard worker, good team guy and other intangibles that go with higher character guys.
                    Last edited by The Dark Knight; 03-19-2007, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Character isn't really something that can be rated... Look at TO who has great worth ethic and is someone on the field you KNOW is going to give his all come Sunday. But he's considered to have bad character. I know I'd much rather have a TO than a Randy Moss or Michael Vick, that's for sure.

Comment

To many variables in this question. I think you have to take certien players and offer them as opposites to get any worth while ansers for this questions. Offering character and talent numbers ala madden style just doesn't tell a whole picture IMO.....

I understand your question TDK, and I think it is a good one, but I think character problems are such a wide range of issues (And the fact that all individuals are differnt, as one "bad character" player is usualyl wildly different from the next) that it would have to be narrowed down big time...

Personally I like talented players with good character but as far as preference personally I think character is a big part of a player and is as important when evaluating aplayer as talent. But as dogfish said, it just depends on the person and circumstances surroundng them.....
                        Last edited by BigBroncLove; 03-19-2007, 04:29 PM.
                        sigpic
                        The only thing that can stop the ninja.
                        Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Comment

I'd much rather root for a team of good guys that tried really hard and were a credit to their families, community and profession. As long as we win games of course!

But your qualification was high character and SLIGHTLY lower talent, and I'm cool with that.
                          I really like rooting for John Lynch for example. He's a bit past his prime. But he's a good guy, nice family, plays hard, and plays really hard when the playoffs are in sight.

If I wanted to root for a winner no matter what, then I'd just be some bandwagon fan for whatever team was the flavor of the year, rather than a Broncos fan for almost 30 years.

Comment

No question to me.

A slightly less physically talented team with good work ethic and smarts generally plays better football anyway.

Those who are immensely physically talented, but are locker room problems are probably more likely to try an rely on that talent, or take plays off, which leads to more breakdowns and mistakes.

In their own twisted, self-centered viewpoint, they are trying to teach the team a lesson.

A high character athlete generally won't do that unless he/she is given no choice or put in a position where they feel that what they are being asked to do is actually hurting the team.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                            You should check these guys out

Comment

High character players can get better.

Low character players get worse.
                              MMA News
                              MMA News 247

Comment

Working...
                              X