• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos sign QB Ramsey, release DE Brown

Yahoo Sports

Broncos sign QB Ramsey, release DE Brown

March 19, 2007
    DENVER (TICKER) -- The Denver Broncos did not wait long to find a replacement for Jake Plummer. Now they will have to do the same for defensive end Courtney Brown.

The Broncos on Monday signed quarterback Patrick Ramsey to a two-year contract and released Brown, the injury-prone No. 1 pick in the 2000 draft.

Financial terms for Ramsey's deal were not disclosed, but the Denver Post reported Thursday on its web site that the deal was worth between $4 million and $5 million.

Ramsey figures to replace Plummer, who lost his starting job to rookie Jay Cutler late last season and announced his retirement earlier this month.

Ramsey started 23 games in his first three years with the Washington Redskins after being selected in the first round of the 2002 draft. But he lost his starting job to veteran Mark Brunell after the 2005 season opener.

In 2003, Ramsey threw for a career-high 2,166 yards and 14 touchdowns with 11 interceptions in 11 starts.

In five seasons, Ramsey has completed 480-of-862 passes for 5,649 yards with 34 TDs and 29 interceptions in 35 games. He is 10-14 in 24 career starts.

Brown underwent left knee surgery on August 2 and did not play last season. A draft selection of the Cleveland Browns, Brown has missed 51 games in his seven-year career. He has 263 tackles and 19 sacks, but nine came in his first two years.

Brown needed to go

but i think Patrick Ramsey is louzy
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dwills#1fan27
      Brown needed to go

When is a backup ever good. Ramsey is definetly better than Danny Kanell.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan
        When is a backup ever good. Ramsey is definetly better than Danny Kanell.

Gary Kubiak, Bubby Brister, David Garrard???
        sigpic

Comment

i think ramsey is a very good signing. he was never in a situation to succeed in washington and hasn't gotten a chance to show what he can really do since.

compare his stats to the other qbs who were available for us to sign and you'll see he was the best option for the money.

that being said, here's to us never seeing him play

"Don't let anyone say you can't do anything. Look what Dee achieved in 24 years."
          We all Miss you D-Will and Damien. RIP Broncos forever. :salute:

Comment

Originally posted by GodofallGods
            Gary Kubiak, Bubby Brister, David Garrard???

Garrard... mmmmm... Id LOVE to have him as a backup. Hell, if not for Cutler Id love to have him as a starter!!
            *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
            *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
            *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Brown needed to go

What do you expect for a backup?

Jeff Garcia is old and preferred to sign elsewhere. Nobody else available is likely to be better than Ramsey. Is he great? NO! Would I want to see him enter a game? NO!

Is he capable of leading the Broncos to a SB if Cutler goes down? NO!

That said, if pressed into service, his play is unlikely to be worse than Plummer's was last year.

He has starter experience and is coachable. He lost his starting job and wore out his welcome in D.C., but he's not as bad as all that. He might win a game or two and that's all you can hope for in a backup.
              sigpic

Comment

If only Brown could have stayed healthy, he would have been a force to be reckoned with. A good man all around too, I was hoping to see him for one more season. Ramsey is a good sign, a much better QB than any other backup in probably 20 years, with the exeption of Steve Beurline.

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                  What do you expect for a backup?

Jeff Garcia is old and preferred to sign elsewhere. Nobody else available is likely to be better than Ramsey. Is he great? NO! Would I want to see him enter a game? NO!

Is he capable of leading the Broncos to a SB if Cutler goes down? NO!

That said, if pressed into service, his play is unlikely to be worse than Plummer's was last year.

He has starter experience and is coachable. He lost his starting job and wore out his welcome in D.C., but he's not as bad as all that. He might win a game or two and that's all you can hope for in a backup.

i disagree if cutler were to go down and he came in...all we would have to do is step it up in the rushing dept and on defense...nothing is impossible in the NFL and if he came in he actually wouldnt do a terrible job. i cant remember his name but look at that QB who won the ravens the SB a couple years back...all it takes is a good defense and a good rushing game and a QB is set
                  "If you fumble the ball, I will break off my foot in your John Brown hind parts; and then you will run a mile."My Adopted bronc is Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos86
                    i disagree if cutler were to go down and he came in...all we would have to do is step it up in the rushing dept and on defense...nothing is impossible in the NFL and if he came in he actually wouldnt do a terrible job. i cant remember his name but look at that QB who won the ravens the SB a couple years back...all it takes is a good defense and a good rushing game and a QB is set
                    You're talking about Trent Dilfer?

The 2000 Ravens had the best defense in NFL history.

The 2007 Broncos don't.

End of comparison.
                    sigpic

Comment

The 2007 Broncos don't.

End of comparison.
                      That was probably the worst superbowl ever too. Sooooo boring...

Comment

The 2007 Broncos don't.

End of comparison.
                        You can see.... the FUTURE??! Dang, what's next week's lottery #'s?
                        "I'm never going to lose to Denver, watch." - Colt McCoy (2010 NFL Draft)

Comment

Brown needed to go

Ramsey could be a decent Backup in Denver, i hope we never have to see him play other then Preseason, but having a veteran QB with a powerful arm isnt a bad thing, his problem is speed and mobility, he just doesnt have any, but there is no question he has a big arm, if i had to choose between him and Preston Parsons, id have to field Ramsey.
                          "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

The 2007 Broncos don't.

End of comparison.
                            the comparison is there, in that we will be the Super Bowl XLII Champions.

My 2007 Adopt a Broncos are Brandon Marshall and Erica Weston

Comment

shanny likes having overrated former ex 1st round picks as backups

Comment

Working...
                              X