Best Breakdown Of Broncos' Need!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Breakdown Of Broncos' Need!

This is by far the best breakdown , i've seen of broncos top need...

http://www.milehighreport.com/story/.../20/0034/43911

Denver and the Draft: Priority One - Pass Rusher
    By ohnokoolaid
    Posted on Tue Mar 20, 2007 at 08:28:00 AM EDT

In the past at Broncomania, I used to do large mock drafts and position by position breakdowns, regardless of Denver's interest. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to do these this year, but still want to spark Denver draft discussion here. The following is the first in a series of diaries where I'll give my take on the likely priorities heading into the draft, which players fit Denver's system, and when they might target the position at hand. Today we'll start with the most pressing need, defensive end, and more specifically, every down pass rusher.

The worst kept secret in Denver is that they lack an every down threat off the end. While Dumervil turned in a nice season in a wave role, fans can forget seeing him in a more demanding role, as even in limited action against the run, Dumervil struggled, and most of his sack production came against weak opponents and injury replacement tackles. Ekuban's numbers look okay on the surface, but he was far from a consistent threat off the edge, provided little collapsing ability, and isn't expected to be getting any better. Lang was the most consistent threat, but he too failed to show any type of speed rush and is hardly a feared presence along the line. Past his peak years, Lang is likely settling into a period where his talents best suit a wave role.

Looking at the Miami defenses employed by Jim Bates, success up front was created by a rangy, athletic speed rusher (Jason Taylor), whose inadequacies against the run were masked by his quickness, and the presence of two large space eaters at tackle. Not so surprisingly, Bates has requested similar linemen in Denver, acquiring Wilkinson (hopefully?) to play alongside Warren. That should set Denver up for acquiring its "Jason Taylor," a rangy speed rusher who can handle every down duty.

Enter the draft, where several candidates could fill such a need for the Broncos. However, fans should not confuse positional depth with sufficient need fulfillment; just because the draft is deep in solid ends doesn't mean the Broncos can take their time on draft weekend to fill their opening at right end. Based on upside, there are four ends that fit the Broncos expected scheme and have the potential to make an impact rushing the passer (yes, rookies CAN be successful in this role, especially when the surrounding talent prevents opponents from keying on the first year player, as would be the case in Denver) next year and beyond. Those players are Jamaal Anderson, Gaines Adams, Jarvis Moss, and Quentin Moses. While it isn't the most desired scenario, Denver could opt to fill the left end position early, where Carriker would best fit, but could also draft a left end later on day one, with Abiamiri, Alama-Francis, and Crowder being potential candidates. Beyond these listed players, the remaining ends are either multi-year projects or poor fits for the system.

While I've listed as many as eight capable ends, Denver is in a precocious situation at pick 21. Only four of those ends carry legitimate first round grades (Anderson, Adams, Carriker, Moss), with two likely top ten picks (Anderson, Adams). Some mock drafts see all four off the board at 21, so Denver could be forced to move up a handful of spots to get their preferred edge rusher, at least to Jacksonville's spot. The other options would be to attempt to trade down to get Moses at a position of better value, "overdraft" Moses, or take the best player available and cross fingers for round two. The real dilemma could be the lack of a trading partner, with Chicago being the closest to having a series of picks in Denver's possibly desired area, but could have little motive to move up to pick 21. Denver has been a dealer in the past, but as fans often forget, trades are easier to discuss than they are to agree to, and what may make since for our team won't necessarily make since to another.

As of now, however, I don't personally foresee all four linemen off the board, with Moss being the likely end left, and consequently, our expected selection. What do we know about Moss? The Guru has a fine scouting report on the front page, and as I said in the comments section there, I like the comparison to John Abraham in style of play. When healthy, Abraham has been a fine player, and a rusher "game planned" against. Moss has a lean frame, but where he may lack in muscle, he gains an advantage in reach and leverage. Bulk on a rush end is highly overrated, as most left ends are light on their feet as well, and the name of the game on the weak side is quickness and first step explosion, which Moss has in abundance. His injury history is primarily tied to one incident, which led to a staph infection that sapped his strength. Moss has plenty of growth potential and upside, and fit's the Bates' defensive end mold quite well. It should also be no coincident that Denver wanted a rusher like Abraham last season, and Abraham's positional coach last season was none other than current Broncos line coach, Bill Johnson.

Adam Carriker of Nebraska fame gets a lot of mention in the Denver media, but he doesn't fulfill the primary need of the team. While Carriker could be a standout left end, he won't be counted on to record double digit sacks or terrorize quarterbacks, instead, his value will be tied to occupying multiple blockers, stacking and shedding against the run, and providing power moves to get to the quarterback. The entire package is enticing, but his best fit will be in a 3-4 scheme, and could attract the eye of San Francisco early. In Denver, Carriker would improve the run defense, and shows glimpses on the rush, but he has few speed moves and won't collapse the pocket for the big tackles inside. This is what Denver has done for the last three seasons, and ideally, need a guy that can take the edge on any given down, and keep the quarterback from getting deep in the pocket. So Carriker is a good but not great pick.

Adams and Anderson each have distinct styles, but both should be effective NFL ends. Both would require a trade, most likely with Washington for their top pick, but both sides have balked thus far, and the price may not be worth the player. Adams is the most disruptive defensive force in the draft, and would make an immediate impact on all facets of Denver's defense. Anderson is a little raw and may be a better left end, but he still has the athleticism and quickness to notch double digit sacks consistently at right end, and should be the best run defender of the right end candidates. As of now, the two are a mere pipe dream, but don't rule out a draft day surprise.

Quentin Moses of Georgia marks the last solid fit for Denver's scheme, with a frame slightly smaller than Moss', but larger than expected, and he's managed to add weight this off-season while showing athleticism. His drop in production is alarming, but fans should forget his sophomore and junior seasons, and he might make a solid sleeper for some team early in round two. Because pass rushers are in such high demand, talk of him falling is overrated, and it wouldn't be surprising for a team to move to the back end of round one to acquire him. From what I saw this season, Moses needs to improve his first step. Too often, Moses would take several stutter steps instead of heading directly up field, and he would often chicken fight with the tackle. All his flaws should be correctable, and you can't teach his athleticism.

After these five, Abiamiri would likely slot in next, but he may profile more as an all around end than a consistent pass rush threat. He has nice size and an impressive build, but isn't as quick at getting up field as Adams or Moss. Despite obvious athleticism and occasional dominant flashes (2005 vs. USC), Abiamiri best profiles in playing a power game and not collapsing the pocket with speed.

Tim Crowder had fine production at Texas, but did his work with power and inside rush moves, not with speed. He's looked impressive in workouts, but just because he runs around cones fast doesn't mean he can suddenly turn the corner better in the pros. Scouts have often seen him profiling best by packing pounds on his wide frame and playing a power game on the left side.

Alama-Francis of Hawaii is the only player on this list I didn't see on a consistent basis last year, with only limited viewing late in the year and in the post-season. Judging from scouts' evaluations, he's another power end that best profiles on the left side.

(part 2 coming up...)

part 2

This draft also features some undersized ends that Denver would be wise to avoid. If you've taken a journey through internet mock draft sites, you've probably seen Anthony Spencer's name often linked to Denver. Hopefully, you've also cringed. Spencer is a high cut, slender edge rusher that lacks growth potential in his frame, does not have the reach or athleticism of Moss or Moses, and hasn't shown a variety of rush moves at Purdue. He's measured in below 6'3, and as the Football Outsiders points out in ESPN's draft guide, size matters in rush ends that play every down, where reach and leverage are so important. Spencer's main pass rush move is to beat the tackle with speed around the corner, and on occasion, he will get the tackle to flex to far, and he'll slide underneath. When this doesn't work, he's absolutely stonewalled. Spencer doesn't have the reach or rush moves to escape a tackles clutches, and with his narrow frame, is unlikely to hold up every down with his hand on the ground. He may make a solid 3-4 rush end, where outrunning the tackle is an easier tactic, but in Denver's case, they already have a successful situational rusher, and drafting a player that may not hold up in a 4-3 beyond a situational role would be redundant.

Charles Johnson, Ray McDonald, and Baraka Atkins are all left end prospects, with varying degrees of pass rush ability. Johnson is the best, but he's on the short side and may not fit Bates' system well enough to draft early. McDonald is a wave player that may not have enough of plus in one skill to be more than a wave player. Atkins is an enigma that has both size and athleticism, but has struggled to add production. Another popular name, LeMarr Woodley, is undersized and an overrated athlete. I'd be shocked if he's drafted by a 4-3 team.

Looking for that late round sleeper that can be this year's Mark Anderson? Stop. Anderson carried a second round grade, and second day prospects this year are more known for their size and strength against the run, than their untapped athleticism. Perhaps some coach could find that untapped potential in Larry Birdine, or Marquies Gunn, but most day two (graded) pass rushers are 3-4 material. This shouldn't stop Denver from scouring day two for a solid prospect to fill in the left end position in a year or two. Xzavie Jackson of Missouri is a poor man's Abiamiri, with a nice build and power potential. LSU's Chase Pittman has the size coaches look for in a 4-3 end, and the technique to play the run admirably at left end.

Simply put, Denver cannot, no, will not, overlook end for the third consecutive year. They get a pass on last season with the Cutler selection, but have now admitted failure in the Browncos experiment and have yet to find Bates that rangy edge rusher to fit his system. It's only March, but expect to hear the name Jarvis Moss closely associated with the Broncos up until draft day. Also, don't be surprised if Denver selects two ends in the draft, one to fit each side of the line, and if Denver goes with Carriker early, another end could come right at the heels of that selection in round two. Free agency has left this team no other option (barring a shocking player trade) and looking at the defense's late failures, they cannot go into the season without some type of player with the potential to make a huge impact rushing the passer, if for anything else, to force teams to alter their offensive gameplan. Chicago has Brown and Ogunleye, New Orleans has Smith and Grant, Indianapolis has Mathis and Freeney, New England has Thomas, San Diego has Merriman... get the picture? It's hard to be successful in the "new" NFL without a feared speed rusher, a rough lesson learned the last three seasons.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. OhNo, please come back!

Comment

SB, you've been providing some good reads. Thanks.

Although the Browncos perhaps didn't provide the excellence expected by some, I
        wouldn't call it a failed experiment. We have a good DT in Warren and a decent DE in
        Ekuban. If we can find that "stud" DT, Myers will still serve as a good backup. For the
        price we paid, I believe Shanny made out like a bandit.

Nonetheless, the author talks a great deal about DE. I would rather get that DT.
        Then Dumervil and Ekuban, who are already there, of course, would flourish, IMO.

-----

Comment

hey its by ohno, man i wish he was still here, where did he go? mile high report?
          So far:
          FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
          1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

He's still around, I believe, though I am glad he has become an intrical part of the MHR!!!

Check Out MHR Radio

Subscribe To MHR Radio - The PodCast

Comment

Jarvis Moss screams Jason Taylor to me.

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe

wouldn't call it a failed experiment. We have a good DT in Warren and a decent DE in
                Ekuban. If we can find that "stud" DT, Myers will still serve as a good backup. For the

Nonetheless, the author talks a great deal about DE. I would rather get that DT.
                Then Dumervil and Ekuban, who are already there, of course, would flourish, IMO.

-----

by the way top, i completely agree with you on all accounts!!!
                So far:
                FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

-----

I think the DE portion of the Browncos did decent. The people were looking for the next LT or Reggie White were disappointed. Lang did a good job filling in for the bad luck Brown. Ekuban was pretty good. They would have done better with more help from the DT's. They were aquired at a decent price and all Shanny gave up for them was Reuben Droughns. Ekuban and Lang filled in when Shanny needed to upgrade the offense and secondary. He did that in the past two drafts, now I expect him to grab at least two dlineman in this upcoming draft. I am hoping for Moss or Carriker at DE and Harrell at DT.
                  The three Keys to football
                  1. Turnovers
                  2. Field Position
                  3. Red Zone Play

Comment

The real concern with Moss is his injury history. He's been healthy for two years, but I just have to wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1986
                      Jarvis Moss screams Jason Taylor to me.

Totally agree. All the "experts" back in the day said Taylor was "too light" and he went in the third round....
                      The three Keys to football
                      1. Turnovers
                      2. Field Position
                      3. Red Zone Play

Comment

I'm ok with Moss at DE or Carriker at DT even though Bates likes big guys in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream
                          The real concern with Moss is his injury history. He's been healthy for two years, but I just have to wonder.
                          He had an infection in his pelvis but that should be squared away since they finally diagnosed. What other injuries are you talking about?

Comment

SB, you've been providing some good reads. Thanks.-----
                            Thanks. I read a lot of Broncos articles since the Broncos and the NFL are the only sport I follow. But I only post those articles which maybe bring a little more to the table since I know the Bronco IQ on this boards are way above average. I follow the Broncos about as close as possible without trying to be overly obsessive. I mean I don’t want to be crazy about it or anything (even thought my psychiatrist might disagree especially when I like to call him “Miles” because it calms me down). :brick:

Comment

Wow that was a great post and breakdown..cps to you

B-Marsh owning Al Harris(Aka: the supposed most physical corner in the league)

Mock Draft:

**If Ellis/Dorsey fall**

1) Dorsey or Ellis(whoever falls)
                              2) Devin Thomas
                              4) Frank Okam
                              4) Beau Bell

**If Ellis/Dorsey dont fall**

1) Desean Jackson
                              2) Pat Sims or Trevor Laws(whoever falls)
                              4) Frank Okam
                              4) Beau Bell

Comment

Working...
                              X