Is Jared Allen still a FA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Jared Allen still a FA

I was looking at his stats, and they look good. Here is a link.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492877

If we could free up some money, I think he would be worth taken a look at. I know are cap is tight. I hate to say it, but Al Willson's money could be used here.

What do you think? Why are teams not looking at him?

^^^^^^^^^^
    made by Snk16

Originally posted by squints

If we could free up some money, I think he would be worth taken a look at. I know are cap is tight. I hate to say it, but Al Willson's money could be used here.

He is a restricted free agent (RFA) and has been given the high tender, meaning a team would have to part iwht both a 1st and 3rd round selection to land him, and have to have a large enough contract to beat his current contract.

Currently Allen has said he wants a trade because the Chiefs are in a tight cap situation and are not offering him a contract he is pleased with. The chiefs don't sound to be changing their minds, and while it sounds Allen wants to stay in KC, he does want to get paid a reasonable sum as well.

He could trun into a hold out, but given Allen's reputation I think it is morel ikely he will play out the last year of his contract and either demand a big contract next year, or say goodbye to the chiefs and enter FA.

Right now the Chiefs have yet to even resign Larry Johnson, who has a very small contract for his level of play.... so I don't think they will find the room for Allens contract. At least this year.....
    sigpic
    The only thing that can stop the ninja.
    Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Comment

Because he's a drunk and it would take a 1st and 3rd round compensation to get him.

In an age where character is becoming increasingly integral in the NFL, people who get multiple DUIs throw red flags and the compensation doesn't exactly enamor teams.

He's a talented player, yeh, but the price to get him is a bit too high for any team asides the Chiefs of course.
      sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
      Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Originally posted by squints

2 DUI's
        A new league policy
        wants lots of money

Comment

Originally posted by BigBroncLove
          He is a restricted free agent (RFA) and has been given the high tender, meaning a team would have to part iwht both a 1st and 3rd round selection to land him, and have to have a large enough contract to beat his current contract.

Currently Allen has said he wants a trade because the Chiefs are in a tight cap situation and are not offering him a contract he is pleased with. The chiefs don't sound to be changing their minds, and while it sounds Allen wants to stay in KC, he does want to get paid a reasonable sum as well.

He could trun into a hold out, but given Allen's reputation I think it is morel ikely he will play out the last year of his contract and either demand a big contract next year, or say goodbye to the chiefs and enter FA.

Right now the Chiefs have yet to even resign Larry Johnson, who has a very small contract for his level of play.... so I don't think they will find the room for Allens contract. At least this year.....

I did not see that he was a RFA. That sucks. I would not want to give up a 1st and a 3rd for him.

^^^^^^^^^^
          made by Snk16

Comment

honestly i love jared allen's quality play, and the motor the guy has. I believe if it wasn't for his DUI problems lately, you'd be looking at a guy that any mid to late 1st round drafting team would be lining up to take him from kc for a 1st and 3rd.

i think he's that good and deserving of that kind of offer sheet

easily kc's best front 7 player

hali looked good as a rookie though too and has the skill to eventually take that title.
            sigpic

Comment

The Chiefs have plenty of cap room to deal with. We could sign him to a long term deal if we wanted to but he is asking for Runningback or Quarterback type money.

We cut Sammy Knight. Greg Wesley has said he is going to be traded very soon. We will likely cut Ryan Sims and Eric Hicks. We will unload a huge salary when we part ways with Trent Green.

This isn't about us not having enough money. This is about him thinking he is worth more than he really is.

His agent says he will refuse to sign his RFA tender until right before training camp so he doesn't have to report until them.

Personally, I hope the Chiefs trade him. I think Atlanta could be very interested in him considering they now have two 2nd round picks and they need a DE to replace Kerney.
              "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
                The Chiefs have plenty of cap room to deal with. We could sign him to a long term deal if we wanted to but he is asking for Runningback or Quarterback type money.

We cut Sammy Knight. Greg Wesley has said he is going to be traded very soon. We will likely cut Ryan Sims and Eric Hicks. We will unload a huge salary when we part ways with Trent Green.

This isn't about us not having enough money. This is about him thinking he is worth more than he really is.

His agent says he will refuse to sign his RFA tender until right before training camp so he doesn't have to report until them.

Personally, I hope the Chiefs trade him. I think Atlanta could be very interested in him considering they now have two 2nd round picks and they need a DE to replace Kerney.
                They don't have two first round picks, they swapped picks with the Texans.
                sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575

this is the trend man, some players are just not going to buy into the team and the system when they KNOW they can strike it super rich in FA

they see teams overpaying guys they consider beneath themselves all the time, so some guys just KNOW they can wait and cash in bigtime, but some don't try it because of the injury risk factor.

not sure which type of person allen will turn out to be, but it wouldn't surprise me if he tests the market then comes back to you like dielman came back to us, or if he gets a deal done in kc long before he becomes unrestricted
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigBroncLove

This is SOOOOO like Carl Peterson to. You watch.. they will draft a DE this first round in the draft....

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey
                      honestly i love jared allen's quality play, and the motor the guy has. I believe if it wasn't for his DUI problems lately, you'd be looking at a guy that any mid to late 1st round drafting team would be lining up to take him from kc for a 1st and 3rd.

i think he's that good and deserving of that kind of offer sheet

easily kc's best front 7 player

hali looked good as a rookie though too and has the skill to eventually take that title.

Absolutely. He has the motor and the drive. The Chiefs are foolish to keep him strung out like this, and will lose him. "King" Carl is known for treating his top players like crap...and you have heard it for years and years. I guess thats why they continue to be a team that misses the playoffs and is always a 'mid major'....rather then ever being a top contender.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                        Absolutely. He has the motor and the drive. The Chiefs are foolish to keep him strung out like this, and will lose him. "King" Carl is known for treating his top players like crap...and you have heard it for years and years. I guess thats why they continue to be a team that misses the playoffs and is always a 'mid major'....rather then ever being a top contender.
                        if it's true that he's asking way above his position pay-wise, then i don't have a problem with kc not caving in to his demands.

you can't let every player walk all over you, cause they can be replaced.

they did just get tony resigned, so we'll see what happens
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey
                          if it's true that he's asking way above his position pay-wise, then i don't have a problem with kc not caving in to his demands.

you can't let every player walk all over you, cause they can be replaced.

they did just get tony resigned, so we'll see what happens
                          I don't know what his demands are. I know that I've seen it happen with the Chiefs for years. They did it with James Hasty, They did it with Donnie Edwards (they didn't pay him money, let him go, then paide another lb that was the same kind of lb the next season for MORE money.. only to watch him completely fail) , they even did it with Priest Holmes (hence why they drafted Larry Johnson to begin with). Those are just three off the top of My head.

It doesn't really matter to me at all. I just know how Carl Peterson works. He'll get a contract worked out with him I'm sure. But I'm betting the Chiefs sign a DE or draft one this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorcust
                            They don't have two first round picks, they swapped picks with the Texans.
                            Read my post again. They have two 2nd round picks (and two 2nd round picks in 2008 also).
                            "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                              I don't know what his demands are. I know that I've seen it happen with the Chiefs for years. They did it with James Hasty, They did it with Donnie Edwards (they didn't pay him money, let him go, then paide another lb that was the same kind of lb the next season for MORE money.. only to watch him completely fail) , they even did it with Priest Holmes (hence why they drafted Larry Johnson to begin with). Those are just three off the top of My head.

It doesn't really matter to me at all. I just know how Carl Peterson works. He'll get a contract worked out with him I'm sure. But I'm betting the Chiefs sign a DE or draft one this year.
                              Donnie Edwards left because dumbass Greg Robinson told Carl linebackers were not worth that much in his system. That was the defensive coordinator's fault, not Carl's.

Comment

Working...
                              X