Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIll Williamson - Mock Draft (April 4th mock)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Analysis

I think Williamson's mock is the first one I've seen that presents a plausible scenario with Adam Carriker still being on the board at #21 when the Broncos pick.

I certainly think it's still a bit of a long-shot, but within the realm of possibility.

Take a look.

First, this draft has the consensus top 7 players being taken in the top 8 picks:

QBs JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn, RB AD, WR Johnson, S LaRon Landry, DE Gaines Adams and OT Joe Thomas. Then the top DT Okoye, followed by WR Ted Ginn and DT Alan Branch rounding out the top 10.

Obviously, this is controversial right there. Branch has been falling out of the top 10 in most mocks and that's probably too high for Ginn as well.

But, both players should still be gone before the Broncos pick. Given the scarcity of DTs somebody is almost always willing to reach for one in the first and gamble that they will emerge in a couple of years. Branch fell because of less than stellar workouts, but a team could conclude that he has the physical tools and that based on their interviews, etc., they could coach him and get him in their off-season workout program and motivate him to be a star. It's a risk, but he has potential elite skills and at some point a team is gonig to take a chance.

He's a DT after all and over 1/2 of all starting DTs are drafted in the first round over the years. This year should be no exception. The only question is whether he'll fall past #20 or not. Most likley not.

Here's what another mock said in predicting the Rams would take Branch at #13:

Even though he wasn't as productive at the college level as you would have preferred you just don't find many guys with his blend of size and athleticism so when you get a shot at one you have to take him. Another possibility might be Adam Carriker, who the team is said to like and he could swing inside to tackle in the 4-3. The Rams could also shift their focus to the secondary and grab a cornerback for the second year in a row and the guy they are said to have their eye on is Darrelle Revis so watch out for that. It's no secret that a defensive tackle is probably their target with this pick though so if either Okoye or Branch are there look for one of them to get the nod.
    As for Ginn, he's too explosive a WR to stay on the boards much past #15. He's probably the #2 WR in the draft and some team in the teens will probably take him.

So, far so good that Carriker would be on the board at #21.

Then Williamson predicts S.F. takes LB, Patrick Willis. Not a bad pick taking the top LB in the draft at #11. But, a DL is also possible and Jamaal Anderson would still be available at this pick. Either way, Willis will be gone by #21 so it doesn't affect the Broncos yet.

The top 2 CBs Leon Hall and Darrell Revis are also good bets to be gone by #20 as well, which brings us 2 more picks closer to Carriker. It's a rare draft that the top 2 CBs would not be taken by #20.

Then there's the #2 LT, Levi Brown. Not a good fit for Denver, but a power-rushing team could line a road-grader like him up and let him go for possibly 10 years. Either he or Joe Staley is likely to be a top 15 pick and he might slip into the top 10 in some circumstances. Elite LT prospects are like DTs, you have only so many good big men. Both may be gone by #20, and at least 1 will be.

Then there's RB Marshawn Lynch. #2 RB in the draft is normally a 1st round pick. Lynch is big, 215 lbs. and fast 4.46 which normally makes teams happy. Given the paucity of elite RB prospects in this draft somebody (probably Green Bay) might take him by #20.

Then we get to the controversial stuff: TE Greg Olson, S Michael Griffin and Reggie Nelson, and WR Robert Meachem. Any or all of these players might still be on the board at #21, which would mean that other players are NOT on the board -- probably including Carriker.

But, there are other players who might possibly sneak into the top 20, including OLB Jon Beason, OT Joe Staley, OLB Paul Posluszny (who was tabbed as Denver's pick by Mel Kiper).

If a couple of players sneak into the top 20 (which is always likely given the uncertainty of player selection outside the top 10 this year), then Carriker might drop to #21.

It's still a long shot, but either he or Alan Branch might be there at #21 if the Broncos wanted a DL. (Mocks that have Jamaal Anderson there at #21 are still very unconvincing).

Carriker would be a great fit on Denver, since he could either play LDE or move inside and play DT the way that Trevor Pryce did (Trevor was an end in college).
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncosinindy
      3. Cleveland (Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame)

Browns pick the hometown boy to sell tickets.
      Horrible explanation.

The Browns need to sell tickets? This is something very new to me.

Since when have the Browns had problems selling tickets? The Browns have sold out every single home game since returning in 1999 and before Modell made his announcement had sold out every game for 26 years.

So I repeat, what is this ticket selling problem this guy is talking about?
      The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Awesome

It would be great !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown
          Horrible explanation.

The Browns need to sell tickets? This is something very new to me.

Since when have the Browns had problems selling tickets? The Browns have sold out every single home game since returning in 1999 and before Modell made his announcement had sold out every game for 26 years.

So I repeat, what is this ticket selling problem this guy is talking about?
          "If" the Browns really needed to sell tickets, wouldn't taking Troy Smith in the later rounds be a better "sell".

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
            "If" the Browns really needed to sell tickets, wouldn't taking Troy Smith in the later rounds be a better "sell".
            You are missing the point.

The Browns have sold out the stadium to maximum capacity since 1999 and prior to Modell's announcement sold out the stadium to maximum capacity for 26 consecutive years.

How can you possibly sell more tickets than maximum capacity? Please tell me how!! How can you sell more tickets than you have seats?!
            The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Weak mock draft.

Comment

Working...
              X