is no-one concerned with moss's size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 22cannon
    You guys questioning Moss's size don't know what you are talking about....at all!

He is 6'6" -6'7". Not one of the stubby Bronco lineman can compare to that size. Can he put on a few pounds, Yes he's only 22 years old. Those long arm in our rotation would be of great benefit.

Will he play LB? I doubt it he runs a 4.76 40, why draft him to play LB when you can get someone that can run a 4.45-4.5 40?

Moss would only play OLB in a 3-4 defense, where his role would be very similar to that of the DE in a 4-3. If he's drafted by Denver, he will be DE. Period.

The question will be: does he drop past the Steelers?
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

"All models are wrong, but some are useful."

Comment

Don't forget Moss played on a DL that had 3 other DL's who will be drafted...as someone who watched him twice in person this past yr I sure hope we pass on him.Didn't impress me at ALL!

Most Fla fans will tell you Marcus Thomas was their best DL.

Comment

Moss is undersized! And just because he comes close to Jason Taylor's measurements, doesn't make him Jason Taylor.

Moss would be useless against the run--no question. We should either trade up in the first round to get Jamaal or Carriker, or trade down and out of the first round and get Anthony Spencer.

Comment

wow people just need something to complai about. Its not the fact that he is 6'6 and prolly the best pure pass rusher in the draft ... the urument doesnt ee make sense whe people say moss is undersized and that they would rather have spencer and johnson...both of which are smaller then moss.

Jarvis Moss 6-61/2 250 4.70
          Anthony Spencer 6-27/8 261 4.73
          Charles Johnson 6-21/4 270 4.87

yup moss is the undersized one
          sigpic
          "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

Comment

Originally posted by Canuck Bronco
            Moss is undersized! And just because he comes close to Jason Taylor's measurements, doesn't make him Jason Taylor.

Moss would be useless against the run--no question. We should either trade up in the first round to get Jamaal or Carriker, or trade down and out of the first round and get Anthony Spencer.
            The point is, Moss fits the physical measurements of the ideal DE for Bates' system. His skill set is that of the ideal DE for Bates' system. If Coyer was still the DC, Moss probably would not be a good fit. Bates is the DC, so Moss is a good fit by most accounts. He has the frame to bulk up if necessary. I would love for Shanahan to work out a trade that brings in Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson, but if we are stuck at the #21 spot and Moss is available, he's the right choice.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

i pray to god we take spencer over moss. Just because Moss is the same size as taylor it doesnt mean a thing. I can name 10 good players that are the same size as spencer but it is pointless b/c everyone is different. The guy is a workhorse and has a great motor. He wont be a run liablitly like moss and dumerville either. Many great players that have gone against him aka joe thomas and levi brown have both said he was the toughest guy they faced. Just watch the video and the form they use. he stays low and powers moss runs to high and looks lazier to me.
              Backing Moreno, Ayers, and Smith for 09.
              Supporting this staff!
              Yes, I know my name is outdated, too lazy to care though hah = )

Comment

i'm not worried about his size, Dumerville had 8 1/2 sacks and he's only 5'11"

Comment

moss! moss! moss!

i wasn't thrilled the first time someone has us taking moss in a mock draft... but now, i will be praying every night that we do. who crafted jason taylor into the defensive end that he is? bates. moss and taylor are almost IDENTICAL physically. also, the only times i saw moss play, he was dominant in the toughest conference/championship game in the ncaa. at 6'6" he could put on some weight, AND NOT LOSE ANY SPEED. the best pass rushing ends seem to be these taller guys that come into the league around 250ish. he'll be at 260 by the time the season starts, and trust me, 6'6" 260 is big enough. moss will be GREAT under jim bates, so hopefully we take him. you can already see the broncos getting ready for bates' style by some of the moves they've made this offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung
                    Moss has the frame to put on more weight and strength. This is why there is less concern about his size than their was for dumervil's last year heading into the draft. Part of it is weight and the other part is what the teams feel can be added without negatively impacting the measurables. Most feel it is possible for Moss to add some weight.

hey myoung, good to see ya. . .

this post is absolutely correct, he has the frame to add bulk without losing quickness. . . and no, i'm not concerned with his size-- his measurements are pretty much prototypical for rangy edge rushers. . . look at john abraham and jevon kearse if you don't like the jason taylor comparison. . . he's at least as big as manny lawson or kamerion wimbley. . . last year mark anderson was about 6'4" 255-ish, and look at what he did. . . bert berry was in the 250 range when he played here. . . PFW says that moss has more-than-adeqaute ability to hunker down against the run for a player his size, and that he should continue to improve in that area if he's dedicated in the weight room. . .

hell, gaines adams is only 258, and he's a consensus top-10 pick. . . every year people question the size of half of the top edge rushers, but the bottom line is that there just aren't many guys available who weigh 280 and still have the burst off the edge to be quality pass rushers. . .
                    Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003
                      i keep hearing how moss would be a great pick up and all the mocks have us taking him.

i am worried that he is only about 250 pounds, we are looking at getting an impact full time starter.

is moss that man? i doubt it.

can he stay healthy for 16+ games...i doubt it.

will he be effective against the run??

will he get bullied against bigger OL?

is he a one trick pony (outside rush), he sure won't bull rush anyone. we got a similar player, albeit a little shorter, in dumerville last year. he was a 4th round pick and is a situational player.

why give up our round 1 pick for him???
                      With his frame and build, they can get another 25 pounds on him easy, he isnt short like Elvis, he can fill out to be an every down DE.
                      "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

I'm not concerned about his size. I AM concerned that the Steelers will take him at #16 or that Shanahan will ignore him and take somebody else.
                        sigpic

Comment

Possibly a little. He never was very strong against the run because he's reaction is to attack the QB.

I would rather place my cards in him then some of the others though. He has more "boom" than Carriker, and if he's coached right he could be a special player.

I am very concerned with Carriker's ability to generate a consistent pass rush. He's more in the mold of an all around DE, and I don't see much room for growth with him.

I'm hoping that Anderson slides to us. If not, I would rather take my chances with Moss.

Comment

I hope we don't get moss.. and one of the reasons I'm a big down on him, IS because of his size.... or the lack there of.

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                              I'm not concerned about his size. I AM concerned that the Steelers will take him at #16 or that Shanahan will ignore him and take somebody else.

I'll second those concerns! I wouldn't mind seeing Moss at 21, and one other DE/DT in the 2nd or 3rd.
                              "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

"All models are wrong, but some are useful."

Comment

Originally posted by slickdonkey7
                                IMO, measurables don't mean nearly as much as what a player does on the actual field of play. This guy played against top notch competition in the SEC and he shredded an above average Ohio State O-line in the title game. Draft choices are never a sure thing. I'd be happy if we got him at 21.
                                he didnt shred anybody, watch the game agina because there were so many missed/blown blocks it wasnt even funny, i felt bad for troy hell of a season and then cant get a block to save his life. i mean the entire game moss just ran into the back field untouched because a OLman from OU just didnt even go near him. what was his stock before that game i wonder because i am not impressed with him. id rather have spencer
                                sigpic
                                -------

Comment

Working...
                                X