No announcement yet.

is no-one concerned with moss's size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We already have dumerville. We dont need to waste our first rounder on him.

Comment

Originally posted by JetterIsBetter
      We already have dumerville. We dont need to waste our first rounder on him.
      IMO, Moss will be a better NFL player than Dumerville. After watching him against Ohio State, that would be a great pickup in the 1st rd.

Comment

Originally posted by **OrangeTerp**
        IMO, Moss will be a better NFL player than Dumerville. After watching him against Ohio State, that would be a great pickup in the 1st rd.
        Look at Dumervilles body of work his last college year vs Moss's.

Dumerville 63 tackles 23tackles for a loss 20 sacks, Bronko Nagurski award winner(best defensive player) Hendricks award winner(best defensive end)

Moss 56 tackles 11 tackles for a loss and 7.5 sacks

Dumerville's junior stats 52/11.5/10

Junior years are close, but Dumerville was one of the most(if not the most) productive DE of last years class. And he didnt even play in all the games.

Comment

Seeing the way teams, especially Cincinatti, ran strictly at Dumervil for 4+ yards with ease on almost every run play, I would take my chances with Moss that he's better against the run.

He sure couldn't be any worse.

Comment

He can add more weight....I'm more worried about his strenght....16 reps

He won't be ready to start for a year....Maybe more.

But he won't have to since Dumervil is going to start everywhere!

Hey?! Start Dumervil at MLB!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed
              He can add more weight....I'm more worried about his strenght....16 reps

He won't be ready to start for a year....Maybe more.

But he won't have to since Dumervil is going to start everywhere!

Hey?! Start Dumervil at MLB!!!!

Hi stnzed! :wave:
              If he starts everywhere, then where will Reggie Nelson play?

Comment

Originally posted by Pipes7
                Hi stnzed! :wave:
                If he starts everywhere, then where will Reggie Nelson play?

Lol! My bad! Maybe he should run for Mayor!

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS
                  he didnt shred anybody, watch the game agina because there were so many missed/blown blocks it wasnt even funny, i felt bad for troy hell of a season and then cant get a block to save his life. i mean the entire game moss just ran into the back field untouched because a OLman from OU just didnt even go near him. what was his stock before that game i wonder because i am not impressed with him. id rather have spencer

maybe Moss made the o-linemen look dumb with his mad skillz.

i would love to have have moss

Comment

Originally posted by BF_forever
                    maybe Moss made the o-linemen look dumb with his mad skillz.

i would love to have have moss
                    all he did was run in a straight line, wow, mad skillz huh, i could have sacked troy smith that game. and i actually would love to have spencer or griffen before we take moss, but its not my decision. i mean compare moss to spencers stats. spencer blows him away!!! and griffen would be a beast after a year under lynch. i will be happy with either of those two just not moss please
                    sigpic
                    -------

Comment

Originally posted by Prodigal19
                      Jason Taylor
                      Position: DE
                      Height: 6-6
                      Weight: 255

Jarvis Moss
                      Position: DE
                      Height: 6-6
                      Weight: 250

I bet he could put on at least 5 more pounds
                      Ya think?
                      Romans 10:9
                      John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by JetterIsBetter
                        Look at Dumervilles body of work his last college year vs Moss's.

Dumerville 63 tackles 23tackles for a loss 20 sacks, Bronko Nagurski award winner(best defensive player) Hendricks award winner(best defensive end)

Moss 56 tackles 11 tackles for a loss and 7.5 sacks

Dumerville's junior stats 52/11.5/10

Junior years are close, but Dumerville was one of the most(if not the most) productive DE of last years class. And he didnt even play in all the games.
                        I like Dumervil, but you really can't compare the two. Moss is 6'6" 1/2 and Dumervil is 5'11". They are just different physical specimens entirely.

Moss is being talked about as a 1st round draft pick not because he's ready to instantly step in and start and go to the pro-bowl! Like so many draft picks he's being taken because of his "potential." His frame is large enough that he could bulk up a bit and hopefully still keep his speed (4.7 40), which is outstanding. He played well enough in college to convince scouts that he could be exceptional at the next level.

To be blunt hardly any college lineman is really ready to just jump to the NFL and excel immediately. Look at Mario Williams, last year's #1 overall pick! He struggled the entire 1st 1/2 of the season and didn't wow anyone with his play. Does that mean he's a bust? NO! It means that it takes some adjustment to get used to the NFL.

As a recent article pointed out, it took Williams a long time to realize that he can't just line up in the NFL and run around LTs the way he could in college. NFL LTs are simply too fast and good, they're not going to let him put speed moves on them like that. If an NFL LT can't stop that play, then he doesn't keep his job. Simple. So, the ones who get to start are the ones fast and strong enough to stop that play.

He'll have to adjust and learn some new moves and learn to fight for angles and position to force his way to the QB, etc.

Moss is the same thing. He has speed and that can't be taught. He has the size to add some muscle and still keep his speed (hopefully). He has the skills to translate well into the NFL, but whether he does so or not depends on him.

That's the gamble. Judging which players will make the effort and have the desire and will to be the best is not easy, that's the art of drafting.

But, to obsess about what some guy weighs right now or whether he's ready right now, doesn't make sense. NFL teams are drafting for the future.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003
                          i keep hearing how moss would be a great pick up and all the mocks have us taking him.

i am worried that he is only about 250 pounds, we are looking at getting an impact full time starter.

is moss that man? i doubt it.

can he stay healthy for 16+ games...i doubt it.

will he be effective against the run??

will he get bullied against bigger OL?

is he a one trick pony (outside rush), he sure won't bull rush anyone. we got a similar player, albeit a little shorter, in dumerville last year. he was a 4th round pick and is a situational player.

why give up our round 1 pick for him???

look at what jason taylor's size was coming out.. and what type of player Jim Bates formed him to be.. I think Jarvis Moss would be a solid pick.. him or spencer I wouldnt mind.

Comment

Well, I'd weigh in, but then I'd probably get flamed for being a homer. However, i will say this: Spencer was our Dline last year. Teams knew that, often double teaming him, and he still manged to disrupt plays: 26.5 tackles for losses, best in the nation. You want a run stopper, he can help; .81 sacks per game. He has tremendous acceleration of the line and he has power to manipulate the lineman. Most importantly, he has great character. I don't remember him ever getting bad publicity in the news down here: great head on his shoulders.

But I will not get my hopes up on picking him because it is a long shot knowing Shanny.

Comment

Originally posted by PurdueBronc
                              Well, I'd weigh in, but then I'd probably get flamed for being a homer. However, i will say this: Spencer was our Dline last year. Teams knew that, often double teaming him, and he still manged to disrupt plays: 26.5 tackles for losses, best in the nation. You want a run stopper, he can help; .81 sacks per game. He has tremendous acceleration of the line and he has power to manipulate the lineman. Most importantly, he has great character. I don't remember him ever getting bad publicity in the news down here: great head on his shoulders.

But I will not get my hopes up on picking him because it is a long shot knowing Shanny.

If Moss or Carriker isn't there, I hope they take Spencer....If he is still there.

If not....A DT or offensive lineman.

But right now I'm wondering what Bates system will mean to the safeties. If it puts more pressure on them to cover for the corners. I'm afraid the Broncos might be thinking safety....Or even LB now!

Imo, the Broncos are at least two years away from legitimately competing with the Patriots, Colts and Chargers. And if the Broncos don't address the defensive line, they never will........

Comment

250 pounds is fine for a pass rushing position. If you think about it many 3-4 linebackers are able to rush the passer and bull rush just fine.
                                "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Comment

Working...
                                X