Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Broncos Employ 'Saturation' Draft Tactics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Broncos Employ 'Saturation' Draft Tactics?

Two years ago, the Broncos faced a bit of a positional crisis at Cornerback. The result was their first three selections of the 2005 Draft being used to fill the need with the selections of Darrent Williams, Dominique Foxworth and Karl Paymah. This concept of curing a positional shortage by 'saturation drafting' is one way to address a need, and do so within the framework of the salary cap.

Could the Broncos be thinking the same way in this Draft?

Could we see a pair of DE's and a DT taken with the Top three selections?

I personally feel like we need another WR and a Safety to go with those picks, but I think the Broncos will trade back in the Draft, and will also move Al Wilson as well to get more picks.

This could provide the Broncos with the ammo to take three Day One D-Linemen and set the course for the team over the next few seasons with the influx of some young talent.

I personally see Tampa Bay and the 35th pick as a prime target to trade back to if it includes the addition of the #61 pick as well as another pick to the Broncos, allowing the Bucs to move up to #21.
    Last edited by MindField; 04-12-2007, 04:29 PM.

Originally posted by MindField
    Two years ago, the Broncos faced a bit of a positional crisis at Cornerback. The result was their first three selections of the 2005 Draft being used to fill the need with the selections of Darrent Williams, Dominique Foxworth and Karl Paymah. This concept of curing a positional shortage by 'saturation drafting' is one way to address a need, and do so within the framework of the salary cap.

Could the Broncos be thinking the same way in this Draft?

Could we see a pair of DE's and a DT taken with the Top three selections?

I personally feel like we need another WR and a Safety to go with those picks, but I think the Broncos will trade back in the Draft, and will also move Al Wilson as well to get more picks.

This could provide the Broncos with the ammo to take three Day One D-Linemen and set the course for the team over the next few seasons with the influx of some young talent.

I personally see Tampa Bay and the 35th pick as a prime target to trade back to if it includes the addition of the #61 pick as well as another pick to the Broncos, allowing the Bucs to move up to #21.
    I suggested this a few months ago, regarding drafting D-linemen with the first three picks, they way we drafted CB's two years ago, and traded for/drafted receivers heavily last year.

Due to the total crapshoot that the draft is, especially shanny's drafts, I think there is a lot of merit to the Broncos taking DL's with their first three picks.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

This is what I posted last month:

Originally posted by tnedator - posted on 3/6/07
      Based on our track record drafting Dlinemen, he might need to go after DL's the way he did receivers last year and DBs the year before. Draft them early and often.
      http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...rs#post1639647
      The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

I think Denver could stand to use a few selections on the line early, but I'm always in favor of a more balanced approach to the draft. Three picks might be overkill, only in the sense that other needs go ignored. I'd be happy with a defensive tackle, defensive end and the possibility of two of the following (OT, WR, S, LB) on the first day with our other selections.

Also, when teams in the second are looking to trade up into the first, usually it takes a future first to even pull it off, but it depends on what else they're offering. It would take at least two seconds for me to consider dropping out, and your scenario holds merit.

Comment

I like the idea of heavily weighting the draft for the DL, but I'm always a bit uncomfortable saying "ONLY draft DL!!!" It's always good to stay flexible for players that may drop. If Denver does go with a saturation draft, the best bet is to have trade-down options available. Get a player where his value is appopriate.
          "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

"All models are wrong, but some are useful."

Comment

I would love spending 3 of our first day picks on DL.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by Dream
              I think Denver could stand to use a few selections on the line early, but I'm always in favor of a more balanced approach to the draft. Three picks might be overkill, only in the sense that other needs go ignored. I'd be happy with a defensive tackle, defensive end and the possibility of two of the following (OT, WR, S, LB) on the first day with our other selections.

Also, when teams in the second are looking to trade up into the first, usually it takes a future first to even pull it off, but it depends on what else they're offering. It would take at least two seconds for me to consider dropping out, and your scenario holds merit.
              I agree that a balanced approach is better in theory, it just seems like when the Broncos employ a balanced approach, then they get draft picks at multiple positions that don't pan out, rather than burning several picks on one position and having one or two pan out.

Personally, I doubt they will draft three DL's in the first three rounds, but I just think it increases the odds of getting impact out of the line.

sigpic

Comment

It all depends on who is available and when.

If the DL we're drafting will have significantly more impact than someone else we can pick:

(Ex. Charles Johnson at 21 vs. Reggie Nelson at 21)

(Ex. Paul Soliai at 56 vs. Eric Weddle at 56)

(Ex. Paul Soliai at 70 vs. Sabby Piscatelli at 70)

We have to consider our potential options and make the pick that has the best value, not just three lineman for the sake of three lineman.
                sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Originally posted by Lorcust
                  It all depends on who is available and when.

If the DL we're drafting will have significantly more impact than someone else we can pick:

(Ex. Charles Johnson at 21 vs. Reggie Nelson at 21)

(Ex. Paul Soliai at 56 vs. Eric Weddle at 56)

(Ex. Paul Soliai at 70 vs. Sabby Piscatelli at 70)

We have to consider our potential options and make the pick that has the best value, not just three lineman for the sake of three lineman.

But this makes it sound like Willie Middlebrooks was a bad draft pick. I just can't buy that...
                  "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

Comment

It would'nt bother me if it happens that way (3 D-lineman with the first 3 picks). And if the first 3 choices were spent on the defense in general ( Safety, DE, DT), i would be happy too.

Comment

wishful thinking IMO. . . hell, i'll be happy if we spend ANY 1st day picks on the D-line-- we sure haven't shown much interest in doing so recently. . . .
                      Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
                        wishful thinking IMO. . . hell, i'll be happy if we spend ANY 1st day picks on the D-line-- we sure haven't shown much interest in doing so recently. . . .

Granted, there was a streak of bad drafts for Denver, but I'll give Shanahan and Co credit: the last few drafts have been very good. Bringing Bates on board would seem to indicate that the front office (read: Shanahan) realizes he can't win it all without a solid defense. I may be wrong, but I'd bet Bates will have some influence in this draft.

Comment

Originally posted by CSU_stat
                          Granted, there was a streak of bad drafts for Denver, but I'll give Shanahan and Co credit: the last few drafts have been very good. Bringing Bates on board would seem to indicate that the front office (read: Shanahan) realizes he can't win it all without a solid defense. I may be wrong, but I'd bet Bates will have some influence in this draft.
                          Correction! The last TWO drafts were decent!

The 2004 draft certainly wasn't!

1 17 D.J. Williams OLB Miami
                          2 41 Tatum Bell RB Oklahoma State
                          2 54 Darius Watts WR Marshall
                          3 85 Jeremy LeSueur DB Michigan
                          5 152 Jeff Shoate CB San Diego State
                          6 171 Triandos Luke WR Alabama
                          6 190 Josh Sewell C Nebraska
                          7 225 Matt Mauck QB Louisiana State
                          7 247 Brandon Miree RB Pittsburgh
                          7 250 Bradlee Van Pelt QB Colorado State

D.J. is the only player left on the team from that draft! And he hasn't exactly been a great pick! He's buried at SLB where he hasn't made many plays the last 2 years.

Before anybody starts annointing Shanahan as a draft guru again, take a look at that draft.

NOT ONE really good player in the entire draft! (Don't give me any stuff about how T. Bell wasn't a bust! He was just traded because of his fumbling problem). Not worth a 2nd round pick -- in Shanahan's view, not mine.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel

D.J. is the only player left on the team from that draft! And he hasn't exactly been a great pick! He's buried at SLB where he hasn't made many plays the last 2 years.

Before anybody starts annointing Shanahan as a draft guru again, take a look at that draft.

NOT ONE really good player in the entire draft! (Don't give me any stuff about how T. Bell wasn't a bust! He was just traded because of his fumbling problem). Not worth a 2nd round pick -- in Shanahan's view, not mine.
                            I have never been a big fan of Bell's, but he is no worse than any other RB taken that year in the 2nd round. Bell J Jones or Greg Jones were the three RBs with 2nd round grades and there were no RBs taken in the third round.

DJ was the smart pick and is a good player. Easy to play Monday morning QB after the draft, but I remember many Bronco fans wanting us to go WR Reggie Williams, Mike Clayton and yes there was even a huge fan club for...gulp...Rashaun Woods.

We were on the phone with Ian's agent all the way up to the 13th pick when Harris came off the board and after trying to get him back. He said no and we had a huge hole at LB. If we had waited until the 2nd round to take a LB we would have had a choice between Boulware or Gardner. Boulware plays Safety and Grdner has like 80 career tackles so far.

Looking at the needs we had and the picks we made, I would say 2004 was a decent draft. Watts=Bust, but so was Woods, Reggie Williams and Clayton (less so than the others, but he still has TB scrambling for WR depth).

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                            J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                            R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel

Okay, I used the wrong word. I realize that (outside of DJ), 2004 was bad, so yes, the last COUPLE have been good.

And I'm not annointing Shanahan as a draft guru. But with the last few, er, COUPLE of drafts, there's hope that whatever process the Denver front office uses for drafting has been upgraded. Maybe Shanahan has delegate more, listening to scounts, coordinators, the GM, etc.

I just give greater weight to the most recent drafts. And I promise not to use the word FEW when I really mean COUPLE.

Comment

Working...
                              X