Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Broncos Employ 'Saturation' Draft Tactics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, drafting for one position pick after pick fails to address other needs. Take the '05 draft, the most obvious example of Denver using this method. Three corners in a row, none of whom are starters (granted D-Will probably would be but he sucked last season) and MAURICE CLARETT (W T F).

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1986
      No, drafting for one position pick after pick fails to address other needs. Take the '05 draft, the most obvious example of Denver using this method. Three corners in a row, none of whom are starters (granted D-Will probably would be but he sucked last season) and MAURICE CLARETT (W T F).
      I dont want ALL of our first day picks to be Dline. One lineman in the first or second is cool with me. I would hate to draft three Dline busts. It's possible because you dont get much success outside of the first round for dlinemen. Atleast as far as defensive tackles go.

Comment

This is what Denver needs to do:

Every year, trade a top-tier player for picks. Then, take those picks, bundle them with other picks, and get a top-ten pick every year. Easy!

...wait, you say this ISN'T Madden, and the other owners ARE paying attention?

...nevermind...
        "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

"All models are wrong, but some are useful."

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
          I suggested this a few months ago, regarding drafting D-linemen with the first three picks, they way we drafted CB's two years ago, and traded for/drafted receivers heavily last year.

Due to the total crapshoot that the draft is, especially shanny's drafts, I think there is a lot of merit to the Broncos taking DL's with their first three picks.
          I've also thought it would be a great move. With all the talk around the lack of first round talent, coupled with the depth along the DL and it being an obvious need, I would go for it. The offense is good enough, the LB's and DB's are good enough, but to take that next step we have to employ a dominant defensive line.

Imagine:

Adam Carriker, Kenard Lang, Ray McDonald
          Gerard Warren, Tank Tyler, Demetrin Veal
          Kris Jenkins, Alvin McKinley, Antwon Burton
          Ebenezer Ekuban, Elvis Dumervil, Quentin Moses

Obviously, a dream scenario, but the defense would be totally SICK!!!

I wouldn't complain one bit. Address safety next year without question, along with other needs.

Comment

Originally posted by MindField
            Two years ago, the Broncos faced a bit of a positional crisis at Cornerback. The result was their first three selections of the 2005 Draft being used to fill the need with the selections of Darrent Williams, Dominique Foxworth and Karl Paymah. This concept of curing a positional shortage by 'saturation drafting' is one way to address a need, and do so within the framework of the salary cap.

Could the Broncos be thinking the same way in this Draft?

Could we see a pair of DE's and a DT taken with the Top three selections?

I personally feel like we need another WR and a Safety to go with those picks, but I think the Broncos will trade back in the Draft, and will also move Al Wilson as well to get more picks.

This could provide the Broncos with the ammo to take three Day One D-Linemen and set the course for the team over the next few seasons with the influx of some young talent.

I personally see Tampa Bay and the 35th pick as a prime target to trade back to if it includes the addition of the #61 pick as well as another pick to the Broncos, allowing the Bucs to move up to #21.
            Denver's been doing this since the Reeves era....nothing new

remember '82? we had 4 picks in the 1st 5 rounds
            Wilhite -rb
            McDaniel -wr
            Plater-wr
            Winder -rb

and 3 OL later in the draft

Comment

Originally posted by 22cannon
              Denver's been doing this since the Reeves era....nothing new

remember '82? we had 4 picks in the 1st 5 rounds
              Wilhite -rb
              McDaniel -wr
              Plater-wr
              Winder -rb

and 3 OL later in the draft
              I never said it was 'new'....the idea came from the '05 Draft with the CB's

Comment

Draft Tactics could be a huge player for us if we were to employ him. His nickname is Saturation for a reason, this is definitely a good idea. We should employ Mister 'Saturation' Draft Tactics. He's all over the field, so I still don't even know what position he plays.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderArmour
                  Draft Tactics could be a huge player for us if we were to employ him. His nickname is Saturation for a reason, this is definitely a good idea. We should employ Mister 'Saturation' Draft Tactics. He's all over the field, so I still don't even know what position he plays.
                  Right....we don't have any actual film of him making any plays, but with his measureables, how could he fail?

Comment

Working...
                  X