Wilson's Release Will Have No Effect On Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilson's Release Will Have No Effect On Draft

I see alot of posts here that seem to believe the release of Al Wilson will somehow dramatically alter the Broncos thoughts about the Draft....it won't.

The Broncos have been preparing for life after Wilson for sometime now.

D.J. Williams will move to MLB, Ian (Fools) Gold will try to hold off Nate Webster and Louis Green at WSLB (here's to hoping Gold is the next overpaid underachiever to get his walking papers), and the darkhorse here to replace Williams as the SSOLB will be Cameron Vaughn, who the Broncos really liked in camp last year.

A big OLB at 6'3"-245, Vaughn was a starter on Nick Saban's Defense that won the National Championship at LSU, and was a key contributor on what was a very good collegiate Defense.

Some of you may scoff at this, but I was the first to tell you all about Erik Pears as well...

Don't be suprised to see Vaughn as a starter next season.

You heard it here first.
    Last edited by MindField; 04-13-2007, 08:37 PM.

"Wilson's release will have no effect on the draft"

Cutting Wilson just gives Shanahan one more thing to consider when it comes to making the selection.....Not a good thing in my book!

Comment

Originally posted by MindField
      I see alot of posts here that seem to believe the release of Al Wilson will somehow dramatically alter the Broncos thoughts about the Draft....it won't.

D.J. Williams will move to MLB, Ian (Fools) Gold will try to hold off Nate Webster and Louis Green at WSLB (here's to hoping Gold is the next overpaid underachiever to get his walking papers), and the darkhorse here to replace Williams as the SSOLB will be Cameron Vaughn, who the Broncos really liked in camp last year.

A big OLB at 6'3"-245, Vaughn was a starter on Nick Saban's Defense that won the National Championship at LSU, and was a key contributor on what was a very good collegiate Defense.

Some of you may scoff at this, but I was the first to tell you all about Erik Pears as well...

You heard it here first.
      Nate Webster and Louis Green are on the team now and Ian "Solid" Gold is still the starter. He's the best cover LB on the team, so don't expect him to go anywhere any time soon.

As far as DJ moving to MLB, that could very well be a possibility. Bates has already said that he wants to get DJ more involved in the defense.

I'm not sure Vaughn is going to be the next starter. It certainly would be nice though. But, teams can only be so lucky in getting undrafted players who become major contributors. Rod Smith has been one of the best receivers in the game during his career. Mike Bell could very well prove to be something special. I don't know if we can expect the trifecta.
      Last edited by broncolee; 04-13-2007, 09:00 PM.
      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
      You Mad Bro?
      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

You heard it here first.
        Although I don't share your total enthusiasm, I agree that LB is instantly being blown out of proportion. Whether it's Webster, Vaughn or Green it doesn't hurt us that bad with our other starting LB's. As long as we beef up the DL it will all be good!

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee
          Nate Webster and Louis Green are on the team now and Ian "Solid" Gold is still the starter. He's the best cover LB on team, so don't expect him to go anywhere any time soon.

As far as DJ moving to MLB, that could very well be a possibility. Bates has already said that he wants to get DJ more involved in the defense.

I'm not sure Vaughn is going to be the next starter. It certainly would be nice though. But, teams can only be so lucky in getting undrafted players who become major contributors. Rod Smith has been one of the best receivers in the game during his career. Mike Bell could very well prove to be something special. I don't know if we can expect the trifecta.
          Ian is the best blitzer on the team, Id say, despite his size. D.J is clearly faster, more athletic, and has better instincts (one of the reasons he could move to the middle).

Im so concerned now that Shanny is going to ignore defensive line in the draft AGAIN

My 2007 Adopt a Broncos are Brandon Marshall and Erica Weston

Comment

There are actually some decent LB prospects in the 2nd-5th round that I know of. I wouldn't mind using a pick on one of them just to bring in a groom incase we don't get good production from whoever fills in the 3rd LB position. I don't think it is our biggest need though and probably not even top 3 of our needs. Just like receiver, which I also don't see as a need like some, I wouldn't mind taking one if it is the best player available at one of our picks.

Comment

I won't mind as long as Vaughn is fast, mobile, and hard hitting.

Sure am going to miss the beast up the middle though.

Comment

Webster, Vaughn or Green it doesn't matter. The third LB is on the field for less then half of the defensive plays. What we need is a bigger run stuffing LB cause in passing situations it will be gold and DJ and Brandon/Foxy

Comment

I've been saying since the acquisition of Vaughn that he'd be a viable option down the road. He's very, very raw though. So, technically you weren't first. Way behind. Can't claim the fame.

However, I'll debate the issue. I really like Vaughn as a player, he's a good run stopper, but he's going to struggle in coverage right away. He'll be mauled by tight ends if he has man to man assignments. He's not that good of a pass-rusher, he's okay. . . He hasn't even played special teams yet, and has to prove effective in that role before even becoming a starter. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's the road Nate Webster and Elvis Dumervil had to take before seeing starting time this year, and that's how it goes for a lot of players here. (Cecil Sapp, etc.)

I'd be shocked if the Broncos didn't look for a linebacker.

Bates has preferred smaller, speedy linebackers in his schemes. There are about 5-7 who fit that profile at either OLB or MLB who are considered first-day selections. It's still a weak year for linebacker, but we have some more options considering what Bates seems to have used in the past. I'd say there's a good chance we pick up a guy like Antwan Barnes or Quincy Black.
                  Last edited by Dream; 04-14-2007, 12:21 AM.

Comment

There is a BIG chance Shanny will consider draft a linebacker. What did Shanny do when Ian Gold left for Tampa? He drafted DJ even though we needed help on the Dline and Wilfork was available. So anything is possible.

Comment

He hasn't even played special teams yet, and has to prove effective in that role before even becoming a starter. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's the road Nate Webster and Elvis Dumervil had to take before seeing starting time this year, and that's how it goes for a lot of players here. (Cecil Sapp, etc.)
                      this is partially true and this is how Ian Gold did it too

Wilsons release will have no effect on draft
                      and as far as this goes its just not true at all. We will almost certainly draft a LB now. Im not saying we will with our first pick but our draft will most likely be altered in some way now that Al is gone. Also, if there is a talented LB that slips to us in the draft we are now in a position of need where we would seriously considering taking that player when we would not have before.
                      Last edited by Broncos Rex; 04-14-2007, 12:39 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Agree that those on the roster will probably be the starters; Williams, Gold, Green or Vaughn. Wilsons release and the loss of Burns leaves us thin at LB. I think if a quality LB is available in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd we will grab one.

Comment

You heard it here first.

you said you see gold getting his papers next..
                          I dont think so with al gone gold will be our df captian this year he's a stud....

Comment

Originally posted by joe blow
                            you said you see gold getting his papers next..
                            I dont think so with al gone gold will be our df captian this year he's a stud....

Actually my guess is it will be either Lynch or Champ
                            Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                            Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                            Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

You heard it here first.

I agree with you here. From what I know of Bates' system he needs two cloggers with speed on the DE's, two good man coverage corners and a good safety and MLB roaming the middle.

I don't think he relies to heavily on OLB's so that is one of the reasons why DJ will probably be moved to MLB and be used like Thomas in Miami.

He needs cloggers like Traylor and Bowens were in Miami. He will use Warren and either a draft pick or Denver will pick up Rodgers or Jenkins as the other turkey stuffin.

He had two cover corners in Surtain and Madison and now he has Champ and Bly.

Safety is still a question mark. Lynch was used up in the box by Coyer and I would imagine Bates would do the same to maximize his talent. Cox, Fergy and Brandon...one of them will be FS and I would imagine Shanny drafts one this year.

Now this being said with all the crying for Wilson on these boards, on the field he was expendable. We are stocked very well at LB, we seem to have a solid replacement at MLB with DJ and we save cap space.

How much will Denver miss Wilson's heart and leadership off the field, is the question. This defense has some very good characters in Lynch, Champ, Gold and hopefully Bly, DJ and Elvis can step up also. So cutting Wilson, doesn't effect the draft at all IMO. The Dline still needs to addressed no matter what.
                              The three Keys to football
                              1. Turnovers
                              2. Field Position
                              3. Red Zone Play

Comment

Working...
                              X