No announcement yet.

Wilson's Release Will Have No Effect On Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope it doesn't impact our draft strategy... Given the choice between great linebackers and a great Dline, I would say that, while there is a symbiotic relationship between the 2 groups, my preference would be to have a better dline. We have had a great group of linebackers when they were healthy, yet we didn't claim any rings because our dline was too much of a huge liability. I think we'll do better if we have a more solid line than the other way around. You can't shortchange the LOS. Period.

This is not an argument to have crappy LB's, just that I would still prioritize the Dline as our deepest need. They make everybody behind them better.

Comment

Originally posted by gobroncsnv
      I hope it doesn't impact our draft strategy... Given the choice between great linebackers and a great Dline, I would say that, while there is a symbiotic relationship between the 2 groups, my preference would be to have a better dline. We have had a great group of linebackers when they were healthy, yet we didn't claim any rings because our dline was too much of a huge liability. I think we'll do better if we have a more solid line than the other way around. You can't shortchange the LOS. Period.

This is not an argument to have crappy LB's, just that I would still prioritize the Dline as our deepest need. They make everybody behind them better.

Good post. Why invest so much $$$$ on a middle LB and neglect the Dline?

It would be more effective to invest in a solid dline and a mediocre MLB. A great Dline can make a mediocre middle linebacker good, while a bad Dline can make a great MLB very average.
      The three Keys to football
      1. Turnovers
      2. Field Position
      3. Red Zone Play

Comment

how dare you knock Ian Gold!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by smilin'assassin
          While he is fast most of his tackles are from behind running the runner down.

While most schemes have the LB take the RB on heads up. giving up few yards that way.

It will be interesting to see in the draft it is Mikey with the fetish in the draft or was it coyer that influenced all those first day picks on LB.

Comment

Gold is a SS playing OLB.
            The three Keys to football
            1. Turnovers
            2. Field Position
            3. Red Zone Play

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoRT
              Gold is a SS playing OLB.
              ...and I've been calling for that switch to happen since he's been back.....
              "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
              tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
              men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Moving DJ Williams to MLB makes a lot of sense, he played the middle in college so he has good experience and he is a little undersized for a SLB which is partly why he hasn't been as effective in the 2 last seasons compared to his rookie campagne.

Ian Gold is a solid Cover corner, he comes off the edge well on the blitz and he is good at chasing the runner. His only weakness is holding up when they run directly at him, this is where Wilson has excelled in helping out and that is where Williams must take over.

I think Webster is the primary player to take over at SLB, he has good athletisism and knows how to move from his days as a starter in Tampa, they rely on quick LB for their cover 2 scheme, so he should be right at home in Bates scheme.

Vaughn is a dark horse in the race who could win the spot with an amazing camp and preseason showing, he has the size but needs the skills.

I think we will take a LB on the 2nd day, you can never have enough special teamers, especialy with Chukwurah and Burns gone, so we do have a gap to fill, and adding a player who can take over at OLB is good.

Just for the record, Dumervil didn't start out on ST, he was a scratch for 3 games before being thrown directly into the passing down defensive package.

Comment

Originally posted by gyldenlove
                  Moving DJ Williams to MLB makes a lot of sense, he played the middle in college so he has good experience and he is a little undersized for a SLB which is partly why he hasn't been as effective in the 2 last seasons compared to his rookie campagne.

Ian Gold is a solid Cover corner, he comes off the edge well on the blitz and he is good at chasing the runner. His only weakness is holding up when they run directly at him, this is where Wilson has excelled in helping out and that is where Williams must take over.

I think Webster is the primary player to take over at SLB, he has good athletisism and knows how to move from his days as a starter in Tampa, they rely on quick LB for their cover 2 scheme, so he should be right at home in Bates scheme.

Vaughn is a dark horse in the race who could win the spot with an amazing camp and preseason showing, he has the size but needs the skills.

I think we will take a LB on the 2nd day, you can never have enough special teamers, especialy with Chukwurah and Burns gone, so we do have a gap to fill, and adding a player who can take over at OLB is good.

Just for the record, Dumervil didn't start out on ST, he was a scratch for 3 games before being thrown directly into the passing down defensive package.
                  wasnt jonathan vilma the one that played middle linebacker for the canes

Comment

Uh, because trhe guy is incredibly over-rated for starters.

Just tell me what the guy does that is so irreplaceable and is worth the jack the guy gets?

I really think Louis Green would be an upgrade.

Gold is easliy one of the biggest under-achievers ever to wear a Bronco uniform.

I can't stand the guy and I am betting this season will be his last in Denver, and I would not be suprised at all if he were to get released in TC.

So, right back at 'cha

Comment

Originally posted by Denver_56
                      wasnt jonathan vilma the one that played middle linebacker for the canes
                      Yea.....
                      What would happen if the bills sign wilson and patrick willis drops with in our range.

Get Ian Gold and DJ a big hole plugger in the middle, and watch them fly.

Comment

Working...
                      X