Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hartwell update

Hartwell Update

The Ed Hartwell sweepstakes remains up in the air. A month ago, league sources confided in scout.com that the former Atlanta Falcon and Baltimore Raven would sign with the Denver Broncos once the team traded Al Wilson. Unable to pull off a trade due to Wilson's physical condition, he was cut loose by Denver on Friday. But the bump in the road in Hartwell signing with Denver could be the Cincinnati Bengals. Sources have told us Hartwell was greatly impressed after meeting head coach Marvin Lewis, which is weighing heavy in his decision where to play next year. Hartwell played under Lewis in his rookie season (2001) with the Ravens when Lewis was their defensive coordinator.

The Bengals have a need for a veteran linebacker after the team released MLB/WLB Brian Simmons.

http://nflexperts.scout.com/2/635887.html
    Well, I'd rather fill the gap with Hartwell--a cheaper, cost effective option--than use an early draft pick on a young player. I imagine that he'd be brought in to compete on the strongside, and if that's the case, I can't think of many valid objections...

Yeah I'm all for signing Hartwell. And I love that quote in your sig about Hamzah Abdulla. I really wouldn't mind him being a starting safety one day.

Comment

i donno hes to injury plagued for me....id rather try someone off our team or draft

by the way its great to be back!!!!
      "If you fumble the ball, I will break off my foot in your John Brown hind parts; and then you will run a mile."My Adopted bronc is Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
        Well, I'd rather fill the gap with Hartwell--a cheaper, cost effective option--than use an early draft pick on a young player. I imagine that he'd be brought in to compete on the strongside, and if that's the case, I can't think of many valid objections...

That's a great point....The Broncos have had the best set of LB's for a few years. That has come to an end.

I would hope that they could make do with players like Hartwell until they finally get the DL situated.

The Broncos did just fine with players like Donnie Spragan...Find a long term solution later.

Comment

I think if we bring in Hartwell he won't be as mediocre as everyone expects.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117
            Yeah I'm all for signing Hartwell. And I love that quote in your sig about Hamzah Abdulla. I really wouldn't mind him being a starting safety one day.
            I watched Abdullah play, he's quality through and through.

Go Cougs! Go Broncos!

Thanks tons Broncosfreak_56!

Comment

Originally posted by Doggcow
              I watched Abdullah play, he's quality through and through.
              i've only seen a few of his contributions on special teams. i'm not sure about his play other than that.. is he FS or SS material if he ever was to step in? it's definitley a big hope that a guy that was taken in the 7th can become a quality starter, and i would love to see it. hopefully the coaches and lynch are right about him.

i don't want hartwell, and i don't get why we are interested.

"Don't let anyone say you can't do anything. Look what Dee achieved in 24 years."
              We all Miss you D-Will and Damien. RIP Broncos forever. :salute:

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank24
                i've only seen a few of his contributions on special teams. i'm not sure about his play other than that.. is he FS or SS material if he ever was to step in? it's definitley a big hope that a guy that was taken in the 7th can become a quality starter, and i would love to see it. hopefully the coaches and lynch are right about him.
                Not when he's a safety.

Just last year, two safeties were plucked from the 7th round, and either made large contributions or stand to this year. One of my favorite safeties in the league, Marlon McCree, was a 7th round pick.

I'm not saying it's the norm, but I am saying that you can get contributors outside of the first day. Statistics show it.

If Hamza started for more than 1 year, he goes before the 7th because of his physical tools.

He's probably an athletic, in-the-box safety.

Comment

Not when he's a safety.

Just last year, two safeties were plucked from the 7th round, and either made large contributions or stand to this year. One of my favorite safeties in the league, Marlon McCree, was a 7th round pick.

I'm not saying it's the norm, but I am saying that you can get contributors outside of the first day. Statistics show it.

If Hamza started for more than 1 year, he goes before the 7th because of his physical tools.

He's probably an athletic, in-the-box safety.
                  is lynch going to keep his title of free safety this season, or will he finally cave and give in to the fact that he's a strong safety? and if so, do you see hamza as his eventual successor at SS? do you think he has the speed and coverage abilities to play FS eventually, or has that yet to be seen with his limited starting experience adn limited nfl play?

"Don't let anyone say you can't do anything. Look what Dee achieved in 24 years."
                  We all Miss you D-Will and Damien. RIP Broncos forever. :salute:

Comment

This is about the 4th Hartwell thread I've posted this is, but why not.

I'm a Falcons fan (ATL native). Hartwell never played up to his contract there.......

Hell, he hardly ever played at all. The guy is ultra injury prone, and even when he's in he's not worth the money.

Please don't get him Broncos, he's not worth it even if he's not hurt. There are several other injury plagued LB's we could have instead of him. Arrington/Wilson, etc. Lets just use who we have, or draft someone and not get a retread.

Comment

He has been a MLB his entire career....I don't see him as an ideal fit as a SS-OLB

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed
                        That's a great point....The Broncos have had the best set of LB's for a few years. That has come to an end.

I would hope that they could make do with players like Hartwell until they finally get the DL situated.

The Broncos did just fine with players like Donnie Spragan...Find a long term solution later.

He's unemployed at the moment. We could do worse than bringing him back.
                        Thanks for everything Shanny :salute!:

Comment

Here's Another Update

looks as if we are gonna sign him. i really hope this pushes dj to the middle. hartwell can bring an impact....and like wa said he would be better than signing a rookie.

http://www.benmaller.com/archives/2007/april/16#139385

The Broncos coach sign a free-agent starter such as Atlanta's Edgerton Hartwell. Hartwell was a three-year standout alongside Ray Lewis in the Baltimore Ravens' 3-4 defense from 2002-04, but was plagued by injuries to his Achilles and knees during his two years in Atlanta. He finished strong last season, though, making 12 tackles in Game 15 against Carolina. "I don't look at it as trying to replace Al because Al had a lot of unique qualities as well as talent," Bowlen said. "But this kind of thing is not new to my business. If we're lucky enough to get a player with the same unique qualities as Al, hallelujah."

Posted April 16, by Ben Maller
                          sigpic

Comment

So basically the update is saying that the Broncos are making a push for Hartwell but he wants to play under his old coach Marvin Lewis with the Bengals? That doesn't sound too good for us who want him to play on strong side for us.

Comment

hmmm, this went from being a hartwell thread, that changed into a Hamza Abdullah thread, then it came back to hartwell, it's funny how one comment can get people off track so quickly

props to snk16 on the sig thx brother

Comment

Working...
                              X