• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why we should trade down & not up...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...aft/index.html

Teams concerned about lack of talent in first round
    by Peter King
    I've spent the last few days asking several NFL personnel people and scouts what kind of draft this is, and this is the conclusion I've drawn: This league is scared witless about the money it's about to pay this class of rookies, because there aren't enough first-round-caliber players who deserve it.

One executive I spoke with -- a smart football man whom I trust very much -- said his team gave only 18 players first-round grades in its recently concluded draft meetings. That means, as he said, a bunch of second-round-quality players (at least, in this team's view) will be drafted between the middle and end of the first round, and they will make more money than players with holes deserve to make. "I bet you'll see plenty of teams in the mid- to low-first-round trying to trade down, and I bet they'll have a lot of trouble finding trading partners,'' this personnel guy said.

"The top of this draft board is so weak,'' one top scout said. "Guys will be handed money who haven't done nearly enough to deserve it."

"It's why I'd almost rather be 19 than nine in the first round,'' one GM said. "Because you get to nine, and there's a good chance the guy you have next on your board won't be the guy picked at eight, nine, 10, and the team at nine won't be able to trade back because the value just won't be there.''

I agree 100%. Why not move out of the 1st round and pick up an extra player with equal talent.

Originally posted by 32-33Champs
    I agree 100%. Why not move out of the 1st round and pick up an extra player with equal talent.
    they'll have a lot of trouble finding trading partners,''

it seems like it would be ideal, especially with the players at DE and S that will be around in the 2nd, it'll just be hard.

"Don't let anyone say you can't do anything. Look what Dee achieved in 24 years."
    We all Miss you D-Will and Damien. RIP Broncos forever. :salute:

Comment

Originally posted by 32-33Champs
      http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...aft/index.html

Teams concerned about lack of talent in first round
      by Peter King
      I've spent the last few days asking several NFL personnel people and scouts what kind of draft this is, and this is the conclusion I've drawn: This league is scared witless about the money it's about to pay this class of rookies, because there aren't enough first-round-caliber players who deserve it.

One executive I spoke with -- a smart football man whom I trust very much -- said his team gave only 18 players first-round grades in its recently concluded draft meetings. That means, as he said, a bunch of second-round-quality players (at least, in this team's view) will be drafted between the middle and end of the first round, and they will make more money than players with holes deserve to make. "I bet you'll see plenty of teams in the mid- to low-first-round trying to trade down, and I bet they'll have a lot of trouble finding trading partners,'' this personnel guy said.

"The top of this draft board is so weak,'' one top scout said. "Guys will be handed money who haven't done nearly enough to deserve it."

"It's why I'd almost rather be 19 than nine in the first round,'' one GM said. "Because you get to nine, and there's a good chance the guy you have next on your board won't be the guy picked at eight, nine, 10, and the team at nine won't be able to trade back because the value just won't be there.''

If there are only 18 players worthy of the first round, all that means is that Shanahan needs to trade up into the top 18 to make sure he gets one of those players. Wanting an impact player means you trade up, not down. Since not all of those 18 players are going to be taken in the first 18 picks, some of them are going to be available at #21.

Just because one team only gave 18 players first round grades, that doesn't mean that other teams haven't given 45 players first round grades. We don't know what criteria this one team used when evaluating the talent.
      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
      You Mad Bro?
      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee
        If there are only 18 players worthy of the first round, all that means is that Shanahan needs to trade up into the top 18 to make sure he gets one of those players. Wanting an impact player means you trade up, not down.
        i don't know about that exactly. i think it depends on how badly you want a 1st round talent, and how many guys a team has rated as 2nd round talent. because trading up can be so costly, it all comes back to whether you want to sell a large part or all of your draft to get an impact player or whether you are ok picking up more players with lower (rated) talent. so, really, there's no concrete reason to do either, as again, drafting isn't an exact science.

"Don't let anyone say you can't do anything. Look what Dee achieved in 24 years."
        We all Miss you D-Will and Damien. RIP Broncos forever. :salute:

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank24
          i don't know about that exactly. i think it depends on how badly you want a 1st round talent, and how many guys a team has rated as 2nd round talent. because trading up can be so costly, it all comes back to whether you want to sell a large part or all of your draft to get an impact player or whether you are ok picking up more players with lower (rated) talent. so, really, there's no concrete reason to do either, as again, drafting isn't an exact science.
          Going on the original premise that there are only 18 players worthy of the first round, getting into to the top 18 would cost Denver the #21 pick and one of the 3rd round picks. That isn't very costly. What would be costly is if Shanahan tried to get into the top 10. Moving up to somewhere from 13 to 18 would still give the Broncos three picks on the first day and a better shot at getting an impact player.

Shanahan has always been willing to deal for what he believes is good value. It's almost a given that he is going to try to move up. I don't think he will make any desperate moves in order to trade up. I think he will stay at #21 if a team starts asking for too much for a higher pick. I think it's very unlikely that he will trade down because there will most likely be players available at #21 that will help the Broncos and be worthy of that pick.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

If the pats do not want a trade, to up (for us to down)... then we're goin to lose value with the trade wed make (looking at the charts ).

(just an observation)

Comment

oh no, there are only 18 good players in the draft-- we're screwed!!

:doh: :brick:

Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

.... also, if we want to trade up with the picks we already have we could whether, trade the 21 & 70 for the 15 (pittsburg) or the 21 & 86 for 17 (jacksonville). we can also trade 70 and 86 for 50 (tennessee).

I repeat, looking at the (picks value chart), otherwise we would be losing value for our picks.... and thats unacceptable.

Comment

Working...
                X