Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denvers Draft Needs: Safety, O-Line, + D-Line

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Denvers Draft Needs: Safety, O-Line, + D-Line

    Looking back at last season it became obvious we were lacking in a few key areas. One of course is on the defensive line. We don't really have much depth on our d-line with Elvis Dumervil being the only promising player of them all. We lack some size in the middle and Warren isn't very consistent so we need to pick up a versatile lineman in the draft and get others via free agency. I believe we could have Dumervil as a starter along with whoever we pick up, but it seems our the whole d-line needs revamped and rejuvenated. Another vital area where we are lacking is the safety position. John Lynch is a solid starter, but his age is catching up with him. As for Nick Ferguson he has been plagued with injuries and has become rather inconsistent. My solution is to pick up either Sabby Piscitelli or John Wendling with a mid-round pick. They are both big safeties, each with strengths and weaknesses, however both of them lack things that can be easily coached and fixed with training. Our O-Line will also be at a disadvantage now that we've lost Carlisle so we need to fill that gap, but other than that our O-Line is an elite group of veterans an. So what do you all think?
    Rest in peace Darrent Williams and Damien Nash. I will never let your memories die. You will never be forgotten.

    John Lynch is one of the best safeties in the NFL so don't even say he needs to be replaced. He hasn't been to eight Pro Bowls cause he isn't very good. So for those of you who doubt him, stay out of CO...

    SUPPORT THE TROOPS. They are risking their lives to protect our way of life and the freedoms we take for granted.

  • #2
    Mikey needs to dedicate this draft to DL DEspeed guy and DT clogger. Period much like he did in 2005 when he took 3 DBs one as a KR for ST and the other two for lenny walls spot.

    Hopefully two of maybe 3-4 picks will stick long term. The DL is the most cricial of all. .

    Mikey has not been serious with his DL picks since he drafted pryce in 1997.


    Safety is next and OLine can be addressed in the last couple of picks on draft day

    Comment


    • #3
      Urgent Needs - DL, LB, FB, FS, ST players (in that order)
      Depth/Future needs - OL, DL, LB, S, RB

      If a quality WR becomes available then grab em.

      I agree with above poster, use half or near half the draft on DL.
      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Hadez
        Urgent Needs - DL, LB, FB, FS, ST players (in that order)
        Depth/Future needs - OL, DL, LB, S, RB

        If a quality WR becomes available then grab em.

        I agree with above poster, use half or near half the draft on DL.
        FB is not a high priority and we have several of them if s good one is available in the 5-6 round perhaps but FB is a dying art in the NFL.

        If mikey doe nothing but go for DL the first 3-4 picks WE all will be pleased.

        One or two may wind up starting by years end and it will only make us stronger at a VERY WEAK position.

        Comment


        • #5
          What about this guy?

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGyrgqOKZLg

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by speardog
            What about this guy?

            <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WGyrgqOKZLg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WGyrgqOKZLg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

            Oh yeah that guy's a beast..=

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tommy1986
              Oh yeah that guy's a beast..=
              Well, this forum doesn't except that I guess. I corrected it however.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by speardog
                Well, this forum doesn't except that I guess. I corrected it however.

                quite a guy but will not be around @21 probably not after 10.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SS #38
                  Looking back at last season it became obvious we were lacking in a few key areas. One of course is on the defensive line. We don't really have much depth on our d-line with Elvis Dumervil being the only promising player of them all. We lack some size in the middle and Warren isn't very consistent so we need to pick up a versatile lineman in the draft and get others via free agency. I believe we could have Dumervil as a starter along with whoever we pick up, but it seems our the whole d-line needs revamped and rejuvenated. Another vital area where we are lacking is the safety position. John Lynch is a solid starter, but his age is catching up with him. As for Nick Ferguson he has been plagued with injuries and has become rather inconsistent. My solution is to pick up either Sabby Piscitelli or John Wendling with a mid-round pick. They are both big safeties, each with strengths and weaknesses, however both of them lack things that can be easily coached and fixed with training. Our O-Line will also be at a disadvantage now that we've lost Carlisle so we need to fill that gap, but other than that our O-Line is an elite group of veterans an. So what do you all think?


                  First Choice Second Choice

                  (1) 21. Jamaal Anderson (DE) Jarvis Moss (DE)

                  (2) 56. Eric Weddle (SS) Turk McBride, (DT)

                  (3a) 70. Josh Beekman (OG) Aundrae Allison (WR)

                  (3b) 86. Quinn Pitcock (DT) John Wendling (FS)

                  (6a) 176. Anthony Waters (ILB) Kasey Studdard (OG)

                  (6b) 198. Gabe Hall (OT) Adam Koets (OT)

                  (7) 233. Nate Ilaoa (RB) Ken Darby (RB)

                  What about these options?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Paul Poz, then trade up and get Anthony Spencer, then draft a safety

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I think we all have the priorities about right... but the problem is who is available at our picks. DE doesn't fit at #21. Moss is a reach and Anderson likely wont be there. I did the best i could and i reasonably came up with my own mock here: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=91561

                      I think it is pretty sound. Most posters on this thread seem to think O-line is ok with 2nd day picks... maybe so. But those second day picks likely wont be able to contribute immediately, and we may have an immediate need at OT (Lepsis injury, Pears is rather untested. meadows is old).
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by socalorado1
                        First Choice Second Choice

                        (1) 21. Jamaal Anderson (DE) Jarvis Moss (DE)

                        (2) 56. Eric Weddle (SS) Turk McBride, (DT)

                        (3a) 70. Josh Beekman (OG) Aundrae Allison (WR)

                        (3b) 86. Quinn Pitcock (DT) John Wendling (FS)

                        (6a) 176. Anthony Waters (ILB) Kasey Studdard (OG)

                        (6b) 198. Gabe Hall (OT) Adam Koets (OT)

                        (7) 233. Nate Ilaoa (RB) Ken Darby (RB)

                        What about these options?
                        I would love to get Jamaal Anderson in the first round. I doubt it happens though

                        1st - Jamaal Anderson Reggie Nelson

                        2nd - Brandon Meriweather Tank Tyler Tim Crowder

                        3rd - Dan Bazuin Charles Johnson

                        3rd - Marcus Thomas LaMarr Woodley Paul Soliai

                        6th - Madison Miller Anthony Waters

                        6th - Justin Warren

                        7th - Walter Thomas Ken Darby

                        The way I have the draft going:
                        1st - Reggie Nelson/Michael Griffin (whichever Shanny likes better)
                        2nd - Tank Tyler
                        3rd - Dan Bazuin/Charles Johnson (whichever Shanny likes better)
                        3rd - Marcus Thomas
                        6th - Madison Miller
                        6th - Justin Warren
                        7th - Walter Thomas

                        Helps out our D-Line with 2 huge DTs and 2 DEs in Bazuin/Johnson and Miller. Get a ballhawking S in Nelson. Thomas is a big OT that would fit well in Denver

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by hardcorebronco
                          Most posters on this thread seem to think O-line is ok with 2nd day picks... maybe so. But those second day picks likely wont be able to contribute immediately, and we may have an immediate need at OT (Lepsis injury, Pears is rather untested. meadows is old).
                          Denver is a team that was bad at the LOS on both sides of the ball last year, especially after Leps went down. That said, I DO think Pears and Meadows did yeoman's work when they were filling in. With Leps coming back (I think he will), Pears and Meadows slugging it out in training camp, and it will be nearly impossible to get worse with our guard play (and I think we improved by letting Carlisle go, and let's make Ham earn his keep), we'll be better on the Oline. Our system prevents (nearly so) rookies from being able to step in right away. Any Olinemen will be project picks anyways.

                          Multiple day one Dline picks would not break my heart at all...

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X