Denver Broncos Day One Selections for 2007 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SS #38
    This is who I think we need to get if they are still available in the upcoming draft.

Round 1 (21st overall): Adam Carriker; DE for Nebraska (Build: 6'6, 295 lbs.)
    Round 2 (56th overall): Brian Leonard; FB/RB for Rutgers (Build: 6'2, 235 lbs.)
    Round 3 (70th overall): Sabby Piscitelli; SS for Oregon St. (Build: 6'3, 225 lbs.)
    Round 3 (86th overall): Tim Shaw; OLB for Penn St. (Build: 6'2, 235 lbs.)

Each of these players have unique traits that seperate them from everyone else. Each can definitely be a starter their rookie year and all of them should add much needed depth to their respected positions. I would like to point out that Piscitelli is absolutely outstanding in coverage, but lacks the ability to be a solid tackler. I believe a little mentoring from John Lynch and some extra time in the weight room should fix that. As for the rest of them they also have small imperfections that can be coached and could become strengths. If you hadn't noticed I didn't list a DT in our my Day 1 selections, this is because their are some quite large, quality tackles that will be available in the later rounds such as Louis Leonard out of Fresno State. He stands at 6'5 and weighs a solid 322 lbs., which means he meets the criteria for our defensive scheme and will add some much needed bulk in the middle. These are the rookies I think we need, what do you guys think?
    I would love to get Carriker in the first. I don't believe that it is likely to happen but I would be cheering for it to happen. Picking a FB in the second seems to me to be a wasted pick. We have 3 FB with starting experience signed and with our double tight end sets they are often all sitting on the bench. Sorry I just can't get excited about Sabby. He is a fantastic physical specimen but try as I might I just don't see an NFL safety. I am not familiar enough about Shaw to comment. With Warren as our only real defensive tackle on the entire team, I would hope that the position would recieve some help on the first day. After all we will have to start two of them.

As I said I would love Carriker but I'm hoping that Shanahan takes a different route.

Comment

By the end of the first day, I guarentee either Jamaal Anderson or Patrick Willis is a Bronco.

Too soon, D-Will, too soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkana7
        By the end of the first day, I guarentee either Jamaal Anderson or Patrick Willis is a Bronco.
        When..... I mean if your wrong what will i get? Cuz im about 98% sure you will be.
        Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Ss #38

We are going to have one of the best recieving corps next year and you want to waste a pick on Ted Ginn Jr.? Are you kidding me? We will still have Walker, Stokley, Kircus, and Marshall when Smith retires so we really don't need anyone else. Plus we still haven't seen Hixon show off his skills yet so as I said before, WE DON'T NEED ANY WR's!!!
          Please tell me you're joking! Do you really think Brandon Stockley, 85 total yards last year Brandon Marshall, if I remember correctly DROPED a key pass against the 49ers that cost us the playoffs, Rod Smith, who turns 37 next month and Domenik Hikon, there’s a reason he hasn't played a single minute will give us one of the best receiving corps in the league? As for John Lynch, turning 36 the season is a liability against the deep ball. Don't get me wrong I love Lynch he's a fan favorite and a big time hitter but against fast receivers he just can't keep up.
          Last edited by GeorgeJr7; 04-22-2007, 05:38 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Inkana7
            I think you're on to something here.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeJr7
              Please tell me you're joking! Do you really think Brandon Stockley, 85 total yards last year Brandon Marshall, if I remember correctly DROPED a key pass against the 49ers that cost us the playoffs, Rod Smith, who turns 37 next month and Domenik Hikon, there’s a reason he hasn't played a single minute will give us one of the best receiving corps in the league? As for John Lynch, turning 36 the season is a liability against the deep ball. Don't get me wrong I love Lynch he's a fan favorite and a big time hitter but against fast receivers he just can't keep up.
              First of all Stokley was injured and had a 1000 yard season not too long ago. Brandon Marshall is coming into his second year and yeah he made some mistakes last year, but that's what the offseason is for and he looked stellar for a rookie. What's the problem with being over 30 in the NFL? Smith is a reliable reciever and almost never drops it, he'll probaly be gone after this season but so what he can make an impact his last year as a Bronco. Hixon was injured all season thats why and we'll see if he is up for the #5 WR spot. I would rather have it go like this though: Walker, Stokley, Smith, Kircus, and then Marshall. I also noticed you didn't say anything about Walker or Kircus, I'm guessing because you think they are good too and will produce next year. As for Lynch yeah he has slowed down over the years and struggles against the deep ball when he is back there "alone", but thats why we have CB's so they can cover the fast guys and Piscatelli can help with that too. He is great over the middle and can make any WR drop the ball. They will most likely keep him with covering the TE's and FB's anyway, but if he can keep up with a reciever going deep it's no problem it's just when he's matched up against really fast ones.
              Rest in peace Darrent Williams and Damien Nash. I will never let your memories die. You will never be forgotten.

John Lynch is one of the best safeties in the NFL so don't even say he needs to be replaced. He hasn't been to eight Pro Bowls cause he isn't very good. So for those of you who doubt him, stay out of CO...

SUPPORT THE TROOPS. They are risking their lives to protect our way of life and the freedoms we take for granted.

Comment

First of all Stokley was injured and had a 1000 yard season not too long ago. Brandon Marshall is coming into his second year and yeah he made some mistakes last year, but that's what the offseason is for and he looked stellar for a rookie. What's the problem with being over 30 in the NFL? Smith is a reliable reciever and almost never drops it, he'll probaly be gone after this season but so what he can make an impact his last year as a Bronco. Hixon was injured all season thats why and we'll see if he is up for the #5 WR spot. I would rather have it go like this though: Walker, Stokley, Smith, Kircus, and then Marshall. I also noticed you didn't say anything about Walker or Kircus, I'm guessing because you think they are good too and will produce next year. As for Lynch yeah he has slowed down over the years and struggles against the deep ball when he is back there "alone", but thats why we have CB's so they can cover the fast guys and Piscatelli can help with that too. He is great over the middle and can make any WR drop the ball. They will most likely keep him with covering the TE's and FB's anyway, but if he can keep up with a reciever going deep it's no problem it's just when he's matched up against really fast ones.
                There is no need to mention Javon Walker or David Kircus. Walker is and will be a beast next year and Kircus was starting to look like a go to guy near the end of the season. I'll definitely agree Sabby Piscitelli's 4.44 speed would be a good fit to possibly replace Lynch after he retires or to start for Sam Brandon next year. I think one of the biggest question marks is will the Broncos go to the 3-4 defense next year? If they do then Kenard Lang (LE) 6 sacks last year, Elvis Dumervil (RE) 8.5 sacks last season and moving Ebenezer Ekuban to (DT) 7 sacks last year is a good three down lineman. If they don’t want to move Ekuban then the Broncos need a DT not a DE in the draft.

Comment

This is who I think we need to get if they are still available in the upcoming draft.

Round 1 (21st overall): Adam Carriker; DE for Nebraska (Build: 6'6, 295 lbs.)
                  Round 2 (56th overall): Brian Leonard; FB/RB for Rutgers (Build: 6'2, 235 lbs.)
                  Round 3 (70th overall): Sabby Piscitelli; SS for Oregon St. (Build: 6'3, 225 lbs.)
                  Round 3 (86th overall): Tim Shaw; OLB for Penn St. (Build: 6'2, 235 lbs.)

Each of these players have unique traits that seperate them from everyone else. Each can definitely be a starter their rookie year and all of them should add much needed depth to their respected positions. I would like to point out that Piscitelli is absolutely outstanding in coverage, but lacks the ability to be a solid tackler. I believe a little mentoring from John Lynch and some extra time in the weight room should fix that. As for the rest of them they also have small imperfections that can be coached and could become strengths. If you hadn't noticed I didn't list a DT in our my Day 1 selections, this is because their are some quite large, quality tackles that will be available in the later rounds such as Louis Leonard out of Fresno State. He stands at 6'5 and weighs a solid 322 lbs., which means he meets the criteria for our defensive scheme and will add some much needed bulk in the middle. These are the rookies I think we need, what do you guys think?

Not crazy about the Leonard pick, and I don't think Shaw is necessary either. But Carriker is a slam-dunk and Piscitelli is good too. Overall, I would give that draft a "C"

In place of Leonard, I would roll the dice on Marcus Thomas, and instead of Shaw I would go with either an OT like Doug Free or a WR like David Clowney.

Comment

Working...
                  X