Clear All

• Best Fish in Draft Pond is a Badger

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5723518

Best fish in draft pond is a Badger
    By Woody Paige
    Denver Post Staff Columnist
    Article Launched: 04/22/2007 01:00:00 AM MDT

Go fish.

The Broncos caught a big 1 in last year's draft and should try to land another 1 Saturday.

Some 1 who would have Jay Cutler's back.

I mock mock drafts. They're just bogus blogger-fodder.

Only a frail, elderly man knows whom the Oakland Raiders will take with the first pick in the draft, and Al Davis (who was not born July 4, 1829, despite what Wikipedia claims) certainly is not talking.

He apparently will choose between quarterback JaMarcus Russell and wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

Johnson is considered (by people who spend all their waking hours thinking about such things) to be the best player in the 2007 draft. He would give the Raiders their third heralded receiver, although the other two want out, and Johnson probably won't be thrilled to be there (where, Gertrude Stein said, there is no there there), either. The last time Davis got a genuine offensive threat in the first round was Tim Brown in 1988.

If the Raiders end up with Johnson, who will throw to him?

Which brings us to Russell. It cannot be forgotten that Davis has selected only three quarterbacks in the first round - Eldridge ****ey (1968), Marc Wilson (1980) and Todd Marinovich (1991). Ugh. Davis prefers retreads and, at his age (177?), can't plan too far ahead. "Just win immediately, baby!" Davis passed on Jay Cutler and Matt Leinart last year and went for safety Michael Huff.

Maybe Davis will draft a punter. Whatever, the Raiders will put the Detroit Lions in a quandary. General manager Matt "Edsel" Millen is as silly as Davis. Johnson would be Millen's fourth first-round wide receiver pick. How's that working out? The Lions aren't hot on Russell.

Then, there's Cleveland, which has the itch to ride with quarterback Brady Quinn, who doesn't scratch the top-10 list.

Then, the Tampa Bay Bucs, fourth, want Johnson, unless they can't get him, and the Arizona Cardinals want offensive tackle Joe Thomas, unless they don't want him.

And we haven't mentioned defensive end Gaines Adams.

So, how are we supposed to guess whom taciturn Mike Shanahan will decide on with the 21st pick, much less the 56th, 70th, 86th, 176th, 198th and the 233rd?

The Broncos need a defensive lineman, a linebacker, a defensive back, a wide receiver and an offensive lineman.

Which means they'll probably draft a running back in the first round.

Go figure.

Go fish.

One good trade deserves another. The Broncos exchanged Tatum Bell, George Foster and a fifth-round pick for Detroit's Dré Bly and a sixth-round pick. They actually talked at the time about the Broncos acquiring the Lions' first-round choice. The Broncos should revisit that possibility.

Why not a Lawrence Welk kind of deal? A one and a two and a three and let Detroit have its sixth-round pick back.

Multiple draft choices are precious, the mock-drafters assert, but a left tackle, a wide receiver or a defensive end who will be an all-pro for the next 10 to 12 years would be more prized. Consider what the Broncos did in 2006. They traded a No. 2 to Green Bay for Javon Walker, who became their No. 1 wide receiver. They also dealt a No. 1 and a No. 3 to St. Louis for the 11th overall pick, which they used for Cutler, who became their No. 1 quarterback.

They managed to pick up two solid players - Brandon Marshall and Elvis Dumervil - in the fourth round. Under my proposed trade, the Broncos would own picks in the third, sixth and seventh rounds - unless they had to Splenda the trade with the other sixth.

If they could pull off the trade, the Broncos, with the No. 2 pick overall, would get Johnson, Adams or Thomas. Johnson would provide a second-class wide receiver threat with Walker, and Adams would give the defense a superb pass rusher.

But the Bucs crave Johnson. How about if the Broncos make another deal (remember the Jake Plummer trade) with Tampa Bay, giving the Bucs the No. 2 pick for the No. 4 pick and the Bucs' third-round choice.

Then the Broncos could snatch my favorite player in the draft - Thomas, the extraordinary tackle from Wisconsin who could step in on the left side with the Broncos and send Matt Lepsis, recovering from an ACL, back to the right side. Thomas protects Cutler's back side and backside.

The 6-foot-6 1/2, 318-pound scholar was invited to the NFL draft in New York with all the early first-rounders. But Thomas declined, not because he is an enfant terrible.

Thomas would rather continue the annual tradition of salmon fishing with his father on Lake Michigan the last weekend in April. And the Broncos should go fish, too.

Enjoy

I think thats a great Idea, with the fourth pick we could actually land the top D lineman or the top o-lineman in the draft.-Both of whom are rated as the top prospects on o and d.(on some teams boards). And who knows how much that second pick is worth to the Bucs, maybe a 2nd and a future third, maybe a future first and a couple of thirds who knows. But I wouldnt mind trading away our draft picks initially because I think we could really add more value with some of Tampas picks(this year or next).

Comment

If Shanahan made the trade with Detroit and took Adams or Johnson, that would certainly get him the impact player he's looking for. If he traded down with the Bucs after getting the #2 from Detroit and took Thomas, he could still end up with a very good player near the top of the 2nd round. I don't see it this scenario happening though. It's just as much of a pipe dream as any of the mock drafts.
      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
      You Mad Bro?
      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Yeah, that was funny. And the article was pretty lighthearted. Thanks for the share, mxbronco13.

Comment

That would make my year if the Broncos did that, although I am pretty sure it wont happen, bu tin case it does, does anybody know the picks we could get from tampa by trading the #2 overall for the #4. Could we get a 2nd or a 3rd or both?
          "If you are going through hell...keep going." Winston Churchill

"If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you'll be fired with enthusiasm." Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Nas
            Oh man that is funny
            I thought that was classic too.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WhatWould#7Do
              That would make my year if the Broncos did that, although I am pretty sure it wont happen, bu tin case it does, does anybody know the picks we could get from tampa by trading the #2 overall for the #4. Could we get a 2nd or a 3rd or both?

TO answer your question it would be both.

Acording to the draft value chart, 2600 (second pick)- 1800(4th pick)=800

The 4th pick in the second round is 540 and the 4th pick in the third round is 250. So it would be trading our 2600 points for there 2590 points.

Now if they really wanted CJ we could probabally get a late round as well
              Thanks Broncos for bringing back our roided up punter .

Comment

Woody Paige is a MORON! It Won't Work!

Woody Paige is even stupider than our President, even dumber than Dan Qualye who couldn't spell "Potato."

Doubt my word? Take a even a cursory look at the draft point values that NFL GMs use to determine whether a trade is even remotely in the ball-park: LINK

Denver has #21, #56, and #70 as it's first 3 picks.

Detroit's #2 overall pick is worth: 2600 points.

Denver's 1st three picks are worth: 800, 340 and 240 respectively.

That's a total value of 1380 points, barely even 1/2 what Detroit's pick is worth!

2600 minus 1380 equals 1220 points! That's equal to the 12th pick in the draft. So, Detroit is giving up the equivalent of a high first round pick in this scenario!

That's inconceivably stupid! Now, Detroit GM Matt Millen is not the smartest guy in the world (see this Bang! cartoon about him: LINK ), but not even a "super-concentrated blast of retardization from the retardo-ray cannon" would cause him to make that trade!

In short Woody Paige is just talking out of his butt, which is usual for him.
                sigpic

Comment

I actually thought about this when writing my previouis post. When combining both trades It would be like moving from 21 to 4 in the first, 56 to 36 in the second, and 70 to 68 in the third round for the price of NOTHING

No trade off means great trade (In Madden)

No trade off means trade won't happen (in real life)
                  Thanks Broncos for bringing back our roided up punter .

Comment

Haha that Wikipedia thing is funny, but it got changed back. I don't know how to edit that top part (only the parts below it). I wanted it to make it say "date of birth past recorded history.

But I have two words in response to this article.

Courtney Brown.

Gaines Adams may turn out to be a bust. Moreso since he is hyped up a lot.

Comment

It all comes down to me like this how many players does shanny think were away from being super(bowl)

if its just a couple spend all the picks and get us up high

or do we need more depth

i feel for the most part we have the depth we just need the ringers. so if i was shanny i wouod sell my soul to the Football gods and get us a ringer
                      The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                      While he sits by his hearth at home.
                      Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                      That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by NickTranOwnz
                        Haha that Wikipedia thing is funny, but it got changed back. I don't know how to edit that top part (only the parts below it). I wanted it to make it say "date of birth past recorded history.

But I have two words in response to this article.

Courtney Brown.

Gaines Adams may turn out to be a bust. Moreso since he is hyped up a lot.
                        i dont know. about the hype on gaines. it seems to me that mario williams last year got more hype
                        The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                        While he sits by his hearth at home.
                        Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                        That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                          Woody Paige is even stupider than our President, even dumber than Dan Qualye who couldn't spell "Potato."

Doubt my word? Take a even a cursory look at the draft point values that NFL GMs use to determine whether a trade is even remotely in the ball-park: LINK

Denver has #21, #56, and #70 as it's first 3 picks.

Detroit's #2 overall pick is worth: 2600 points.

Denver's 1st three picks are worth: 800, 340 and 240 respectively.

That's a total value of 1380 points, barely even 1/2 what Detroit's pick is worth!

2600 minus 1380 equals 1220 points! That's equal to the 12th pick in the draft. So, Detroit is giving up the equivalent of a high first round pick in this scenario!

That's inconceivably stupid! Now, Detroit GM Matt Millen is not the smartest guy in the world (see this Bang! cartoon about him: LINK ), but not even a "super-concentrated blast of retardization from the retardo-ray cannon" would cause him to make that trade!

In short Woody Paige is just talking out of his butt, which is usual for him.
                          Its a good point, but teams in the top 5 rarely use that chart because it almost makes traqding the pick away near impossible. Detroit may have financial concerns with a top 5 pick also.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                          J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                          R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007
                            Its a good point, but teams in the top 5 rarely use that chart because it almost makes traqding the pick away near impossible. Detroit may have financial concerns with a top 5 pick also.
                            Well, we now know exactly what the Broncos offered the Lions and who they were targeting:

Yet to date, the only known draft play by the Broncos' three-headed think tank of Mike Shanahan, Ted Sundquist and Jim Goodman has been to seek receiver Calvin Johnson through the No. 2 draft pick held by the Detroit Lions. And not just once did the Broncos go after Johnson, but twice.

The first time, the Broncos proposed adding middle linebacker Al Wilson and their No. 21 overall pick as an extension to finalize a deal that sent Tatum Bell and George Foster to the Lions in exchange for Dré Bly. The second time, the Broncos offered picks in the first, second and third rounds, plus their first-round pick in 2008, for the Lions' No. 2 selection, a trade contingent on the Oakland Raiders not taking Johnson with their No. 1 choice.
                            LINK

The Broncos offered first, second, and third round picks in 2007, plus the Broncos 1st round pick in 2008 to move up from #21 to #2 in 2007 and get Johnson.

The Lions rejected it. That gives you an idea of the point value system in play. The Lions did the calculation and concluded that 2 #1's a #2, and a #3 pick was just not enough to make them do the deal!

They were right too.

But you have a point about the value system at the top of the draft inhibiting trades. Last year, not one team in the top 10 traded their pick. This year no trades have been announced so far.

But, teams that trade that chance to get a top player, especially a QB feel they have to get the sun and moon in exchange or they're getting robbed.

That's just the way it is. A couple of years ago the Chargers traded down from #1 to #4 in exchange for 2 #1's and a #2 pick. They got Phillip Rivers and Shawne Merriman in exchange for Eli Manning.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                              Well, we now know exactly what the Broncos offered the Lions and who they were targeting:

LINK

The Broncos offered first, second, and third round picks in 2007, plus the Broncos 1st round pick in 2008 to move up from #21 to #2 in 2007 and get Johnson.

The Lions rejected it. That gives you an idea of the point value system in play. The Lions did the calculation and concluded that 2 #1's a #2, and a #3 pick was just not enough to make them do the deal!

They were right too.

But you have a point about the value system at the top of the draft inhibiting trades. Last year, not one team in the top 10 traded their pick. This year no trades have been announced so far.

But, teams that trade that chance to get a top player, especially a QB feel they have to get the sun and moon in exchange or they're getting robbed.

That's just the way it is. A couple of years ago the Chargers traded down from #1 to #4 in exchange for 2 #1's and a #2 pick. They got Phillip Rivers and Shawne Merriman in exchange for Eli Manning.
                              I agree Detroit shouldn't deal until they know if CJ lands #2. However, the offer point wise was fair. It was about 1900 pts which on the chart is slightly above #4 pick. If CJ is gone, then #2-6 holds equal value IMO and I doubt they will be able to move the 2nd pick and get much value.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                              J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                              R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Working...
                              X