Calvin Johnson rumor (merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calvin Johnson rumor (merged)

I finally decided that the same ol' mock drafts are getting boring and since everyone thinks Denver will be moving up or down, I have them moving up and down...many times...

* It all starts with Denver trading all of their original picks to Detroit for their 1st. If you're counting, that's a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th & 7th for the second pick in the draft. Denver may sweeten the pot with another pick next year even.

* Then Denver swaps places with Tampa Bay, with Tampa Bay convinced that Calvin Johnson will be off the board to Denver. Tampa gladly gives up their 2nd rounder to ensure Johnson ends up with them. Now Denver has the fourth pick in the draft, a 2nd, 3rd & 6th.

* Next, Arizona agrees to send Denver their 3rd rounder to swap places because they want Joe Thomas badly and they just know that Denver is going to take him. Another easy deal for the opposing team to make and another easy deal for Denver to take. Now Denver has the fifth pick in the draft, a 2nd, two 3rd's & a 6th. But they're not done yet...

* Thinking they're done and ready to grab Gaines Adams at #5, Atlanta (armed with a few extra picks) comes in and convinces Denver to swap positions with them so they can snare Adams. They throw in their first 2nd (obtained from Houston) and two 4th's (one originally belonging to Denver and a supplemental pick). Atlanta feels good about their DL and even though the price was high they still have a pick in every round. Denver really would have taken Adams and Atlanta knew it. Denver is now sitting with the eighth pick in the draft, two 2nd's, two 3rd's, two 4th's & a 6th. Denver is definitely done now, but I'm not...

* Buffalo desperately wants Patrick Willis and Denver has let it be known that Willis will be replacing the departed Al Wilson at the eighth pick. Another one of Shanahan's smoke screens, but it works. Although Denver likes Willis, they really want either Jamaal Anderson, Amobi Okoye, Alan Branch or Adam Carriker first. Buffalo wants Willis badly enough to swap places with Denver and give them a 3rd rounder that they obtained from Baltimore. Again, everyone is happy and Denver now has the twelfth pick in the first round, two 2nd's, three 3rd's, two 4th's & a 6th. Denver is unwilling to bite anymore, knowing that the football gods are wanting Denver in the Super Bowl next year, and are ready to draft. Here's how it unfolds:

1st-Jamaal Anderson, DE He turns out to be everything they could have hoped for and more, turning in a 15-sack rookie season playing next to Gerard Warren, who has a bounce-back season himself. He is named NFL defensive rookie of the year. Denver's defensive line is AWESOME!
    2nd-Joe Staley, OT He slipped a little bit and Denver is glad he did. He backs up Lepsis this year because Erik Pears has a great season at right tackle, but he gives Denver many options for next year and beyond. Great insurance for Lepsis.
    2nd-Alan Branch, DT Nobody thought he would slip this far, but now nobody wants to touch him either. The way the football gods are smiling on Denver this day, they jump on him gladly. He turns out to be completely healthy and pushes Warren all year for the starting job, causing Warren's bounce-back year.
    2nd-Dwayne Jarrett, WR His 4.6-4.7 40 times have scared teams off and he gets tagged as the next Mike Williams. Baltimore, who is short on picks in the draft, gets a call from Denver concerning their 61st pick in the draft. Looking to add more picks, they take Denvers offer of the 69th pick (from Arizona) and the 121st (Denver's original 4th). Jarrett comes in and somehow runs a 4.5 and ends up being the third WR--even beating out Brandon Marshall--behind Javon Walker and Rod Smith, who comes back with an 80-catch season.
    3rd-Brandon Siler, LB Although Denver doesn't know how the LB position is going to shake out yet, they had Siler rated very high and he actually comes in and starts at MLB from day 1 and gives Denver youth, speed and playmaking ability. He turns out to be another QB for the defense with his leadership and character.
    3rd-Kris Jenkins, DL (trade from Carolina) Denver actually wasn't going to do this deal because they wanted to use the pick from Buffalo for another DE, but New Orleans was looking to trade up in the 3rd round and offered Denver two late round 4th's (123 & 125) to swap positions in the 3rd round. New Orleans had extra picks and Denver then shipped the 81st pick in the draft along with a conditional pick next year (they have two 4th's and maybe three 4th's depending upon Plummer) to Carolina for Jenkins. Jenkins solidifies the entire defense in the middle, is completely healthy and is named to the Pro Bowl team again.
    4th-Michael Bush, RB Injury concerns cause him to slide all the way to this pick (originally KC's). He comes in healthy, but his late start leaves him third string behind Henry & Bell. He proves to be a good short yardage threat and also a weapon out of the backfield. Denver thinks he'll take over Bell's back-up spot before long and is calling him one of the steals of the draft.
    4th-Aaron Rouse, S Although Denver wanted one earlier, they felt good enough about the current players to take a developmental prospect for the next year or two. What a prospect they get, as concerns about his coverage ability cause his stock to fall. Rouse is big, strong, fast and actaully pushes for playing time this year, turning out to be a special teams demon. Denver feels really good about this position looking to next year and, although they will address it further, thinks they got a player.
    4th-Quentin Moses, DE There have been concerns that he just won't get it done at the NFL level and he's not big & strong enough, so Denver takes a falling star. Turns out most people were right about him, at least right now. He turns out to be a pass rush threat only, playing about 10 snaps a game on a good day, but he also gets serious about being an NFL player. He hits the weights hard, learns how to play the run and really toughens up. Denver thinks he'll be a player too in a couple of years.
    6th-Ryan Harris, OT Another player that's considered overrated at this level, but Denver can wait for him to develop. They convert him to guard and stash him on the practice squad for a year. He is a lot like Chris Kuper and Denver has high hopes for him next year and beyond.

Now that the football gods have made up their mind that Denver is going to get in the Super Bowl, they are doing everything to ensure it happens. Denver's new line-up looks like this:

WR-Walker, Stokely, Marshall, Hixon
    OT-Lepsis, Staley, Rogers
    OG-Hamilton, Myers, Rookie
    OC-Nalen, Eslinger, Hunt
    OG-Holland, Kuper, McAlmont
    OT-Pears, Meadows, Nienhuis
    TE-Graham, Scheffler, Alexander, Mustard
    WR-Smith, Jarrett, Kircus, Morgan
    QB-Cutler, Ramsey, Parsons
    RB-Henry, Bell, Bush
    FB-Sapp, Johnson, Smith

DE-Anderson, Lang, Peterson
    DT-Warren, Branch, Veal
    DT-Jenkins, McKinley, Burton
    DE-Ekuban, Dumervil, Moses
    LB-Williams, Vaughn, Hollowell
    LB-Siler, Webster, Rookie
    LB-Gold, Green, Moore
    CB-Bly, Foxworth, Hill
    CB-Bailey, Paymah, Shoate
    S-Lynch, Abdullah, Cargile
    S-Ferguson, Brandon, Rouse

P-Sauerbrun
    K-Elam

SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!! SUPER BOWL BOUND!!!!!!!!!!! DREAMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

* It all starts with Denver trading all of their original picks to Detroit for their 1st. If you're counting, that's a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th & 7th for the second pick in the draft. Denver may sweeten the pot with another pick next year even.
      It all stops with this too!

That doesn't remotely work. Denver's entire draft is about 1200 points short of the 2nd pick in the draft (2600 points). Denver's top pick is only worth 800 and their 2nd is worth 340. You didn't specify which 3rd round pick but both of them still don't come remotely close to making up the difference 240 and 190 points respectively). The second day picks are worth such a pittance they aren't worth bother about. Throwing in 5th and 6th rounders sounds great -- until you learn that a mid 5th and 6th round equals about 50 points COMBINED!

Denver would have to throw in next year's #1 pick and probably some others next year as well.

That's almost certainly why Shanahan rejected the trade and it's currently not dead in the water. You don't pull a Minnesota Vikings fiasco and give up multiple 1st round picks for one player. It's too risky.

The last team that did that was the Giants who gave up the Moon and Stars for Eli Manning. One of the picks they gave up was the #12 pick the next year. The Chargers happily took Phillip Rivers and got Shawne Merriman the next year. That was such a stupid trade for the Giants they serve as an object lesson NOT to do something like that!

And they only had to move from #4 to #1 from 1800 to 2600 = 800 points)! Denver would have to move from #21 to #2, a MUCH bigger (from 800 to 2600) jump (and would have to give up many more picks to do it)!

Horrible idea!
      Last edited by Cugel; 04-22-2007, 05:50 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

cp wen i get more thatd be so amazing if it happened but it wont sadly that is porb most entertaining mock ive read so far

RIP Darrent It's been one year, Gone but never Forgotten.

I Adopted JayCutler4MVP!!! and DJ Williams

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIEADAMSFAN
          cp wen i get more thatd be so amazing if it happened but it wont sadly that is porb most entertaining mock ive read so far
          If by "entertaining" you mean something so stupid it could only happen on Madden and is utterly impossible in the real world, then yes!
          sigpic

Comment

I don't know what is worse...That you think Detroit would allow Denver to move up and make all the same moves that they could....Or that you have Brandon Marshall behind Brandon Stokley in your depth chart!
            Last edited by stnzed; 04-22-2007, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
              If by "entertaining" you mean something so stupid it could only happen on Madden and is utterly impossible in the real world, then yes!
              I dont even know if something like that could happen even in madden.
              "Chillez was right Brock is best champ in the UFC, I Jump on Mir bandwagon and he got crushed."

Chillez won the sig bet. Congrats. Up next for brock? Fedor... stay tuned.

Comment

LMAO It'll be fun to see how many people respond to this.

Comment

One slice of pumpkin pie please.....with whip cream!
                  sigpic

Comment

Man that made for a great read.

Too, bad that won't happen. Because, Mikey wouldn't be stupid enough to pass on Calvin Johnson we could use a player like CJ on our team. If we did pass him up, we defineitly wouldn't pass on Gaines Adams. Sure Anderson good, but Adams is better and is not dropping in stock. Dropping out of the top 3, then top5, then top 10 is just idoitic and no one does that. Unless you origanally held the #2 overall pick and despreatly needed extra talent.

If Mel Kiper is even remotely correct about the draft, then Jamall Anderson at 21 is pretty realistic. There would be no point in moving up that high, to just drop out of it. Moving to the 12th or 15th is more ideal for me. Also, Denver would have a butt load of picks more than you mention. Since Atlanta had to move from the 8th pick to the 5th, that should guarntee Denver a second, two thirds and future third. Buffalo moving from 12th to 8th guarntees us at least their 1st rounder next year and their 2nd and 3rd.

Comment

I thought Atlanta wanted Laron Landry much more than that wanted Adams?

Comment

Originally posted by str8jacket
                        I thought Atlanta wanted Laron Landry much more than that wanted Adams?
                        I would like a cheeseburger..........
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIEADAMSFAN
                          That was the idea. Might as well be out of the box. All these "normal" draft are making me crazy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chidoze
                            I would like a cheeseburger..........
                            YOU CANT HAVE ONE!

What is this? America?

Comment

Originally posted by str8jacket
                              YOU CANT HAVE ONE!

What is this? America?
                              North America to be precise......

Why cant I have one......I shore is hungry
                              sigpic