Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*RUMOR* NFL Sirius Radio - Briggs to Denver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 85BearFan
    Most Bear fans think of Briggs as the devil, basically. Personally, I'd like to keep him for another SB run, since its highly unlikely we'll be able to replace an All-Pro OLB right away... Though, we did make it to the big one without 2 of our defensive pro bowlers (DT Tommie Harris, S Mike Brown) and they're expected to be back. I wouldn't be upset with this deal at all, because mainly, we'd be able to use our #31 on OL (Blalock, Grubbs, Staley hopefully) comfortably, and with the #21, grab the best available receiver either Bowe or Meachem. Then with #37 we can go BPA, or maybe a TE, or LB. This would give us tons of flexibility in the draft.
    Dude your dreamin!
    1st off, Shanny has the upper hand in that Chicago is "stuck" with a guy who wont play no matter what. Shanny knows this.
    2nd, if you think that dealing with Shnieder was a pain, then you dont know anything about the history of the Shneider/Shanny trades. Trust me, no way in hell will Shanny give up a 1st for a player that will eventually cause sooo much static that the Bears will just be happy to eventually get rid of him, and not get the upper hand in the trade.
    Shneider is Shanny's "lap dog", Shanny owns Shneider.
    At the least the Broncos would get the bears 2nd or 3rd in a deal. it would be fiarly even considering the mega money that Briggs wants and everyone and their mother knows this.

Comment

Originally posted by ballen
      If he's worth a first round pick. Why don't they pay him. You're not dealing with the Redskins.
      The Bears also turned down the Skins #6 overall. The issue is money with the Bears, and don't want to give it to an unproven player. We have upcoming FAs to pay, that apparently are more of a priority (Briggs did reject Chicago's 6 yr 33 mil offer early last season). The Bears have to extend Tommie Harris, he's about to break bank. Peanut Tillman, Nathan Vasher, Bernard Berrian and (God help us all) Rex Grossman all need new deals. Simply put, the Bears won't pay an LB more money than Brian Urlacher, impossible.
      Last edited by 85BearFan; 04-23-2007, 12:37 PM.

Comment

The Bears also turned down the Skins #6 overall. The issue is money with the Bears, and don't want to give it to an unproven player. We have upcoming FAs to pay, that apparently are more of a priority (Briggs did reject Chicago's 6 yr 33 mil offer early last season). The Bears have to extend Tommie Harris, he's about to break bank. Peanut Tillman, Nathan Vasher, Bernard Berrian and (God help us all) Rex Grossman all need new deals. Simply put, the Bears won't pay an LB more money than Brian Urlacher, impossible.
        Then why on earth did they turn down the #6 pick of the draft? They could have traded him to the Redskins, then traded down with the #6 pick to a team that wanted to draft someone like S LaRon Landry or DT Okoye or Brady Quinn or possibly even OT Joe Thomas (outside chance). Then they trade down to around #10 or #12, pick up an extra 2nd round pick, and still could get the top LB in the draft in Patrick Willis.

I have NO idea why they would turn down a #6 overall pick for Briggs, when they won't get that much for him later. Bad decision unless there's something they're not telling about the situation.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
          Then why on earth did they turn down the #6 pick of the draft? They could have traded him to the Redskins, then traded down with the #6 pick to a team that wanted to draft someone like S LaRon Landry or DT Okoye or Brady Quinn or possibly even OT Joe Thomas (outside chance). Then they trade down to around #10 or #12, pick up an extra 2nd round pick, and still could get the top LB in the draft in Patrick Willis.

I have NO idea why they would turn down a #6 overall pick for Briggs, when they won't get that much for him later. Bad decision unless there's something they're not telling about the situation.
          I think even though it appears that the deadskins were willing to give up the #6 pick, Schneider was the one who secretly backed out regardless of the bears saying yes or no. I think that deal fell apart on both sides.

Comment

how about we trade 21 plus gold and get briggs and pick 37?

briggs could take over golds spot and dj could move to the middle. then pick up a free agent like arrington to play the weakside. de could be addressed at pick 37.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
              No, and here's why:

1)Where's he going to play? Certainly not on the strongside. That would mean Gold would get cut, which wouldn't really be a huge problem with Briggs coming in, but...

2)MONEY. Briggs wants a mega deal. Is Briggs really worth the cap hit, both his and Gold's?

3)We can draft a younger, high-upside player for less mula.

1, 2, 3...that simple!

Now, if Bates thinks Briggs could man the middle, or be an efficient SAM, then maybe I'd change my opinion...
              I don't understand #1. Of course he would play strong side, DJ would play MLB, and Gold WLB. What's the problem with that.

As far as #2 and #3 I agree.
              Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

You too Cutler.

Comment

I smell 3 team trade again with Denver getting #6 pick. Something like:

Washington gets Briggs, Denvers 2nd

Denver gets #6 pick

Chicago get #21 and Denver 3rd

We shall see

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel

The Bears turned down the Skins #6 for Briggs + our #31 (equivalent to the #16 overall)
                  as I stated earlier in the thread.

The problem is, there is no guarantee of trading down, and there is a possibility of getting stuck. The Bears got stuck with Cedric Benson picking at #4 in the '05 draft, so theres an example of not being able to move down. I would have liked that trade down scenario, and I agree that a team would jump on Landry for example, but I guess the Bears didn't see it that way.

Of course, there are always a few conspiracy theorists out there and some have suggested that the Skins and Briggs/Bears created this media scene to get the league's attention on what they're selling.

Comment

Sup Bronco fans? Its been a while...and from over here, still recovering from that terrible SB loss thanks to the most schizophrenic QB in league history

Whether this comes into fruition or not, I'd like to hear your thoughts about this kind of trade, that would most likely send the Broncos #21 pick (if not more) to the Bears for Lance Briggs. Keep in mind, the Bears turned down the 'Skins offer of #6 overall for Briggs + #31, a purported value of 1000 in draft points. Though, this kind of deal for the Bears would allow them to keep their #31, so there would not be as much urgency to trade down.

Bear fans reaction
                    My stepson has schizophrenia. That first-hand experience, plus my forty-some credit
                    hours of postgraduate psychology, provides me of a certain degree of knowledge
                    regarding that neurological condition. Therefore, I deem it safe to say that your
                    quarterback does not have schizophrenia.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007

Denver gets #6 pick

We shall see
                      See! Now were getting somewhere! (not really) but this is a viable scenario with all the teams getting what they want to some extent.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007

Denver gets #6 pick

We shall see
                        Chicago and Denver would love that. For Washington though ehhh... well Snyder might give in to that I guess lol.

I also think that Briggs for your #21 and a swap of 3rd round picks (70-94) would seal it. The Bears are reported to be really interested in OLBs Quincy Black and Justin Durant....they probably won't last until the end of the 3rd so the swap Im guessing would make or break a deal like this. A very good way of the Bears getting more and Denver still has a 3rd rounder. This would net the Bears 916 draft points, or about the 18th overall. Not as good as the Skins (1000 pt/ 16th overall) offer "value" wise but IMO better because we get to keep our 1st (31) and improve our position in the 3rd. Denver in turn would get to draft a DE in the 2nd at great value since a few highly touted prospects are slipping a bit, and that hopefully solidifies your D.
                        Last edited by 85BearFan; 04-23-2007, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Chicago and Denver would love that. For Washington though ehhh... well Snyder might give in to that I guess lol.

I also think that Briggs for your #21 and a swap of 3rd round picks (70-94) would seal it. The Bears are reported to be really interested in OLBs Quincy Black and Justin Durant....they probably won't last until the end of the 3rd so the swap Im guessing would make or break a deal like this. A very good way of the Bears getting more and Denver still has a 3rd rounder. This would net the Bears 916 draft points, or about the 18th overall. Not as good as the Skins (1000 pt/ 16th overall) offer "value" wise but IMO better because we keep our 1st and improve our position in the 3rd. Denver in turn would get to draft a DE in the 2nd at great value since a few highly touted prospects are slipping a bit, and that hopefully solidifies your D.
                          Hey I don't see why not...the past few years Washington's given in to plenty of Denver's trades that make little sense for them in the long term. If Chicago and Denver love it...why not?
                          Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Its interesting in the sense that Shanny is prone to doing the unexpected (see the crop of "we're going to trade this year and all almost all of next year's picks for Detroit's #2" rumors) . . .but I just don't see it happening.

I don't think that anyone is doubting that Lance is a good player, but he's also being a bit of a pain, and has made it clear he wants a mega deal. I've been a bit surprised how we've been able to tighten the belt a bit to make up cap room this off season, but I doubt we could sign Briggs (or else why, oh why didn't we squeeze more for Kerney -- a player who would have filled more of a gap for our team, and kept him away from Seattle).

At this point, I really hope that Denver stays away from all these catastrophic "big exciting deal" all-or-nothing trades that are rumored. Trading your entire first day-- or two years worth of your first day for any one guy (whether its Briggs or a high pick this year) is something that a team that is desperate does. It hardly ever works. While we may not love the teams, the Pats and the Colts have shown that teams with success year after year don't do that kind of thing. I have to believe that Shanny will stay on the light side, and draft some exciting young talent on draft day to keep our D fresh, and our cap manageable over the next few years. We'll still get great new talent on our team, and we'll upgrade more positions and have greater depth than any one individual could give us.
                            Always a Broncos fan.

Comment

I also think that Briggs for your #21 and a swap of 3rd round picks (70-94) would seal it. The Bears are reported to be really interested in OLBs Quincy Black and Justin Durant....they probably won't last until the end of the 3rd so the swap Im guessing would make or break a deal like this. A very good way of the Bears getting more and Denver still has a 3rd rounder. This would net the Bears 916 draft points, or about the 18th overall. Not as good as the Skins (1000 pt/ 16th overall) offer "value" wise but IMO better because we get to keep our 1st (31) and improve our position in the 3rd. Denver in turn would get to draft a DE in the 2nd at great value since a few highly touted prospects are slipping a bit, and that hopefully solidifies your D.
                              I am just going on Briggs being worth a 1st and a third.

Redskins get a 1st, 2nd, and third round value for #6 pick, looking at the point system we would have to throw in a 2008 2nd rounder also. That would be 1650 pts roughly for #6 worth 1600.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                              J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                              R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

You mean a DE in the 1st? right? The Broncos would no longer have a 2nd.
                                The deadskins dont have any 3rd 4th 0r 5th rounders this year, so getting a extra pic in the 2nd can only help them.

Comment

Working...
                                X