Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*RUMOR* NFL Sirius Radio - Briggs to Denver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 85BearFan
    The Bears turned down the Skins #6 for Briggs + our #31 (equivalent to the #16 overall)
    as I stated earlier in the thread.

The problem is, there is no guarantee of trading down, and there is a possibility of getting stuck. The Bears got stuck with Cedric Benson picking at #4 in the '05 draft, so theres an example of not being able to move down. I would have liked that trade down scenario, and I agree that a team would jump on Landry for example, but I guess the Bears didn't see it that way.

Of course, there are always a few conspiracy theorists out there and some have suggested that the Skins and Briggs/Bears created this media scene to get the league's attention on what they're selling.
    That's still a great trade for the Bears! The difference between the #31 pick and the #6 pick is 1000 points, which is equal to the #16 pick of the draft as you stated.

That's GREAT compensation for Briggs! You couldn't possibly hope to do better than that for a LB.

I also think that some team would definitely want LaRon Landry because there are supposedly only 7 guys who deserve top 10 money this year: Russell, Johnson, Quinn, Peterson, Thomas, Adams and Landry.

Outside that you are looking at players who have some flaws. Jamaal Anderson or Okoye or Levi Brown or Patrick Willis or Adam Carriker are perhaps top 15 talent, but not top 10 talent in a normal year.

Everyone of those players has something that scouts are uncertain about and yet if you take one of them at #6 you are paying them #6 money, which is a HUGE salary in guaranteed money! Nothing worse than paying top 10 money to a player who probably isn't worth it, just because you had to take somebody!

So, if there are only 7 players who unreservedly deserve a top 10 rating, the logical place to be is # 6. That way you get assured you're going to have a choice of which top player to get.

The WORST spot to be in this draft might be the Falcons place at #8. If I were them, I might do the same thing the Vikings did a few years ago and not get their pick in on time and end up with the #9 or #10 pick and end up having to pay $millions less in salary to a player who probably won't be worth much if any less than the guy they would have taken at #8 (it might even be the same player).

That's unless Brady Quinn is there at #8 and they decide they want him or can trade to a team that does.

But, if they are choosing from a list like: Carriker, Leon Hall, Patrick Willis, Levi Brown, WR Ted Ginn or Robert Meacham (because they need a WR bad), DT Alan Branch or CB Darnell Revis -- that's not a very attractive option.

They might like Jamaal Anderson, or they might want Levi Brown, but either way it's too high to take either based on the current conventional wisdom.

Trading up 2 places to grab Landry sounds like a much better option. And unless the Vikings (who are supposed to be targeting Landry) take Okoye instead, the Redskins could get him at #8 instead of having to use their #6 pick to reach for him.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado1
      You mean a DE in the 1st? right? The Broncos would no longer have a 2nd.
      The deadskins dont have any 3rd 4th 0r 5th rounders this year, so getting a extra pic in the 2nd can only help them.
      No I meant if the Bears and Broncos deal without the Skins included, my bad for not being clear...I just shared a new thought after that first sentence.

Comment

No I meant if the Bears and Broncos deal without the Skins included, my bad for not being clear...I just shared a new thought after that first sentence.
        Yeah, no worries. I dont think the Broncos should be involved for Briggs unless the deadskins are in the 3 way. the Broncos have traded in 3 ways with them before so i can see schneider more willing for whatever reason to do it again.
        Everyone gets what they want and there isnt really a team that just flat out lost in the deal. At this point, just before the draft, i think that is as good as its going to get.

Comment

If we can get Javon Walker for a second rounder, there is no way we should give up first round value for briggs or Jenkins.

Briggs played behind a great bears d-line, so he could just be a product of their system plus he is an ass, and Jenkins has some question marks regarding his work ethic plus his ability to stay healthy.
          Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

You too Cutler.

Comment

So besides DE, what other positions do the Broncos have in need on draft day? When the Briggs-Skins story broke out, a lot of their fans went nuts basically, saying LB wasn't a need for them.

Comment

Originally posted by rascal
              If we can get Javon Walker for a second rounder, there is no way we should give up first round value for briggs or Jenkins.

Briggs played behind a great bears d-line, so he could just be a product of their system plus he is an ass, and Jenkins has some question marks regarding his work ethic plus his ability to stay healthy.
              Yep! Thats what i was eluding to earlier. Shanny just doesnt do that. Remember Thompson saying that there was NO deal for Javon the whole time right up to the draft!?! The Broncos still got what they wanted for what they offered the whole dang time! No HC is better at trades on draft day or otherwise than Shanny. And i have yet to see him really get burned on 1 so far. Now drafting players, well thats another story........

Comment

So besides DE, what other positions do the Broncos have in need on draft day? When the Briggs-Skins story broke out, a lot of their fans went nuts basically, saying LB wasn't a need for them.
                Safety! Lynch id good but a liability in coverage, and Ferguson is old as well and coming off of knee injury.
                I would like the Broncos to keep their 2nd rounder so they can adress safety, but for the #6 spot an they still keep the 3rd, i ok with it. Wendling should still be there at #86. Hopefully the Broncos can keep the #70 pick if that 3 way happened as insurance for Wendling.

Comment

I think Shanny is past needs and is looking for impact guys. I would not say LB or WR is a big need for us, but the two rumors today involve Briggs and CJ...both impact guys.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                  J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                  R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Why do the Broncos need Lance Briggs?

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007
                      I think Shanny is past needs and is looking for impact guys. I would not say LB or WR is a big need for us, but the two rumors today involve Briggs and CJ...both impact guys.
                      You may be right. I didnt really think about it that way. I am not used to shanny being so agressive. I really would like to draft a Safety prospect in the 2nd or 3rd too! Oh well!

Comment

I like where this could lead to. Jenkins for a third rounder and take Tim Crowder in the second. Makes sense to me.
                        Co-founders of the

sigpic

Comment

Briggs is a weakside LB and Gold is slipping in my books.

Gold + #21 and possibly 3a for Briggs.

This trade actually does a lot. We get a younger and better linebacker (sorry Ian).

Comment

Originally posted by NickTranOwnz

This trade actually does a lot. We get a younger and better linebacker (sorry Ian).

Who do we cut to fit him under the cap after he gets the mega deal he wants to get the trade to go through?

Briggs wants to be paid elite LB money.

Comment

Originally posted by NickTranOwnz
                              Briggs is a weakside LB and Gold is slipping in my books.

Gold + #21 and possibly 3a for Briggs.

WHA?? lol

Comment

great idea and all, Briggs would be a fine addition to the team...but didn't we just cut Al Wilson for cap reasons? Briggs wouldn't help that out any...of course without a first rounder, some money would be free for Briggs from that area. We could also cut stephen alexander for a bit more cap space.

Comment

Working...
                                X