Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*RUMOR* NFL Sirius Radio - Briggs to Denver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cugel
    replied
    Originally posted by DenBronx
    like i said before, teams are the most desperate come draft day. the packers knew they should get a lot for javon walker. imo walker was worth a 1st or early 2nd. however if a player is threatening to hold out then teams are willing to dump the guy to at least get something in return for him. we STOLE walker for a 3rd!
    LOL! Actually, the Broncos traded the #5 pick of the second round -- #37 overall (practically a 1st round pick) to Green Bay for the rights to Javon Walker, not a 3rd round pick.

Far from being a steal, the Broncos gave up a high 2nd round pick to get Walker. Of course, he returned to pro-bowl form but he might not have, in which case the Broncos would have been big losers in the deal. It was definitely a risk, which was why Walker wasn't worth a #1 pick.

Leave a comment:

• Pruke
    replied
    I don't see this trade happening. I just don't too many reasons not too - Briggs wants a ton of money, many say he is a system LB - benefiting from the D they ran out in Chicago which I don't think Bates is asking people to adopt here (could be wrong on that) and while LB would be nice to have, we really could use help on a line that has underperformed for the past 10+ years. Dre Bly and Champ Bailey cannot carry a pass D from 21 to 5 without having some pressure applied once every 3 downs up front.

Sorry Chicago - you'll have to hold on to Briggs.

Leave a comment:

• Pruke
    replied
    Originally posted by 85BearFan
    Sup Bronco fans? Its been a while...and from over here, still recovering from that terrible SB loss thanks to the most schizophrenic QB in league history

Whether this comes into fruition or not, I'd like to hear your thoughts about this kind of trade, that would most likely send the Broncos #21 pick (if not more) to the Bears for Lance Briggs. Keep in mind, the Bears turned down the 'Skins offer of #6 overall for Briggs + #31, a purported value of 1000 in draft points. Though, this kind of deal for the Bears would allow them to keep their #31, so there would not be as much urgency to trade down.

Bear fans reaction
    We don't have to trade places in the 1st round but kindly include your 3rd round pick please.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoSexyDaddy
    replied
    The Bears also turned down the Skins #6 overall. The issue is money with the Bears, and don't want to give it to an unproven player. We have upcoming FAs to pay, that apparently are more of a priority (Briggs did reject Chicago's 6 yr 33 mil offer early last season). The Bears have to extend Tommie Harris, he's about to break bank. Peanut Tillman, Nathan Vasher, Bernard Berrian and (God help us all) Rex Grossman all need new deals. Simply put, the Bears won't pay an LB more money than Brian Urlacher, impossible.
    Maybe we can give Briggs that 600,000 that we are getting from Lelie to add to that signing bonus if we pick him up.

Leave a comment:

• jlhawkins9
    replied
    no thanks, he wants a tom of money and DJ is ready to be the man

Leave a comment:

• BroncoSexyDaddy
    replied
    Sup Bronco fans? Its been a while...and from over here, still recovering from that terrible SB loss thanks to the most schizophrenic QB in league history

Whether this comes into fruition or not, I'd like to hear your thoughts about this kind of trade, that would most likely send the Broncos #21 pick (if not more) to the Bears for Lance Briggs. Keep in mind, the Bears turned down the 'Skins offer of #6 overall for Briggs + #31, a purported value of 1000 in draft points. Though, this kind of deal for the Bears would allow them to keep their #31, so there would not be as much urgency to trade down.

Bear fans reaction
    I would make this trade in a hurt beat .An impact player that could start now and improve our defense would be great.Briggs wanted to be a leader of a defense and Al Wilson is gone,so it makes since to me about the rumer.

Leave a comment:

• lex
    replied
    Originally posted by Broncos86
    i honestly doubt it will be a terrible draft...but how could picking him up in the first and picking up another possible impact player in the second be bad....keep in mind im not for or against briggs im just sayin
    By getting Briggs and giving up the 21, its like theyre throwing up their hands...like they dont feel confident about picking at 21...and with that in mind, Im not feeling too confident about the rest of the draft either. Plus, like I said, LB isnt even a top 4 need.

Leave a comment:

• Broncos86
    replied
    Originally posted by lex
    Why? We have greater needs at S, DT, DE, and OT. This makes no sense which means its probably true. Im having a bad feeling about this draft. It will be 2003 all over again.

i honestly doubt it will be a terrible draft...but how could picking him up in the first and picking up another possible impact player in the second be bad....keep in mind im not for or against briggs im just sayin

Leave a comment:

• lex
    replied
    Why? We have greater needs at S, DT, DE, and OT. This makes no sense which means its probably true. Im having a bad feeling about this draft. It will be 2003 all over again.

Leave a comment:

• jletourneau
    replied
    Rumor or not...

the Briggs deal to me seems like one of Shanahan's most likely moves IMO.

First, Briggs is easily worth a 1st round pick, compared to who else the Broncos would be looking at with 21.

Second, Shanny has a strong history of trades.

Third, Shanny has a strong history of grabbing disgruntled players

Fourth, Briggs brings A LOT of versatility, and defensive attitude from the Bears to a defense that just released its defensive leader and needs a boost.

Plus, the acquisition of Briggs allows Denver to hold onto its other day 1 picks to address other glaring needs.

We've heard lots of trade talk, #2 with Detroit, #10 with Houston, etc, but I believe this talk of Briggs to be the most likely and beneficial course of action.

Leave a comment:

• Scheffler88
    replied
    Bears GM denies trade talks about Briggs

NFL.com wire reports

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (April 24, 2007) -- Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo denied the team has been involved in trade talks regarding disgruntled linebacker Lance Briggs.

"I've not heard anything official from anybody," Angelo said at a news conference to discuss this weekend's NFL draft.

Several reports claimed a handful of teams besides the Washington Redskins have talked to the Bears about trading for Briggs, who is guaranteed $7.2 million by the Bears this season as their franchise player.

Briggs is not taking part in the team's voluntary conditioning program at Halas Hall.

"To me, Lance's situation is that he's a part of our ball club and I assume Lance Briggs, No. 55, will be out there the first game," coach Lovie Smith added. "Once he has to be here, he'll be a part of it. That's how I'm looking at Lance Briggs."

Briggs wants to be traded or receive a long-term contract. The Redskins last month offered the Bears their sixth pick overall in the draft for Briggs and the Bears' 31st overall pick. The deal reportedly fell through when the Bears also wanted another player.

Although Angelo said he hasn't heard from the Redskins or another team in recent weeks, he said such talk usually heats up in the days preceding the draft.

"Could it happen? It could happen," Angelo said. "But I can't sit here and put a percentage on it one way or another. I'm not in control of that."

The Bears cannot initiate trade talk for Briggs because he is a franchise player.

Angelo said even though Briggs has threatened to hold out unless traded, his status doesn't necessarily impact the team's draft day decisions.

"We're looking at him as he's going to be on our football team," Angelo said. "We do have players that are capable of playing the position so we're OK that way too."

Leave a comment:

• Hardbodyaz
    replied
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10146725

(April 16, 2007) -- Finally, the NFL draft is within days and all the evaluations are just about done. Most teams are locking up their draft boards, and the only thing that can change a grade will be a late rumor about an off-the-field problem or a medical issue.

The only thing that can change a team strategy is a potential draft-day trade. For weeks, teams have "inquired" about moving up or down in the draft with other franchises. Detroit should have options to move down in the draft if the Raiders don't select Calvin Johnson.

Tampa Bay (and possibly Atlanta) could be on the move up to Detroit's spot. Both teams have the extra Day 1 picks to pull off a trade. Washington has the No. 6 overall pick, however, as of now, that's its only Day 1 pick--- it needs to add at least one more.

Few people feel Brady Quinn will slide in this draft like Matt Leinart did last year, and if the Browns don't intend to take him, a team like Miami could consider a move up to get him.

Then, of course, there are still a few veteran players who could be moved via trade early on April 28. Chargers running back Michael Turner could change Tennessee's or Buffalo's draft plans. Talks involving Lance Briggs might heat up in the next few days, and a team like Denver could conclude that paying Briggs and giving away their first-round spot is better business than taking a rookie linebacker. Trent Green has more control of his destiny than most would assume. He should be a Dolphin by the night of April 28. Keep in mind, the Chiefs don't have a fourth-round pick, and it will make sense to the Chiefs to move him.

Randy Moss, Kris Jenkins and a few surprises are all possible draft-day trades that will make it an exciting weekend for the football fans

Leave a comment:

• Hardbodyaz
    replied
    BRIGGS IS COMMING!!!!!!!! GET READY!!!!!
    The rumors are heating up.... more to come in the next day!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10146725
    21. Denver: Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida State -- There are a few rumors around that Denver will trade this pick to get Lance Briggs. There's no doubt Briggs is a better player than Timmons at this point in his career, and Mike Shanahan needs the strongest defense possible while Jay Cutler learns on the job. If Denver stays, it could come down to Timmons or Jon Beason. Two weeks ago, it looked like DE Jarvis Moss would wind up here, but his latest workout didn't help him.

Leave a comment:

• underrated29
    replied
    but with javons deal we got a steal, our 2nd for him, we came out on top.

briggs for our 1st, i guess its even, i dont personally think he is worth a 1st but thats just my opinion. but if we nabbed him for a 2nd. never look back!!, of course that will never happen.

but i am with you, that he will be traded on draft day.

Leave a comment:

• Hardbodyaz
    replied
    A buddy of mine in Chicago called this morning again. Apparently the "Rumor" is becomming much more than a "Rumor". He is going to try and email me some sites reporting more about the "Rumor". Javon paved the way and I am sure they will be doing the same for Briggs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X