Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calvin Johnson not going to happen...

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5735840

Broncos fans should stop dreaming about wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

An NFL source says the Detroit Lions will trade their No. 2 overall draft pick, but will entertain offers only from teams with picks 3 through 10. That means the Broncos, with their No. 21 pick, likely are too far away to move up and get Johnson, the Georgia Tech star who is widely regarded as the draft's most cherished prize.

"Try to find a negative on him," said Jeffrey Foster, president of the NFL scouting service. "It's hard to do."

The Broncos made two trade proposals last month for the Lions' No. 2 pick, but were rebuffed. The chances of revisiting a deal for Johnson on draft day this weekend diminished with the Lions' decision

to stay within the top 10 picks.
    The Broncos could move up to the No. 10 pick by trading their first-round pick, second- round pick and one of their two third-round picks to the Houston Texans. But at that point, the Broncos likely wouldn't have enough left to deal with Detroit.

The only way the Broncos likely could get Johnson is if teams picking No. 3 through 10 don't make a serious bid for the Lions' No. 2 choice. That appears unlikely. There have been numerous reports that Tampa Bay, which has the No. 4 pick, will make a serious play for Johnson.

Best news I heard all day! Now those dreamers can look at realistic expectations
    We need nasty

Comment

I agree. This is good news.

Before this I was hoping for Trent Green to get traded to the Dolphins and Culpepper would be sent to the Raiders, allowing the Raiders to select CJ number 1.

At least it looks probable that we can manuever to snatch an impact player for the Dline without giving up the 'farm'.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 24CHAMP24

An NFL source says the Detroit Lions will trade their No. 2 overall draft pick, but will entertain offers only from teams with picks 3 through 10. That means the Broncos, with their No. 21 pick, likely are too far away to move up and get Johnson, the Georgia Tech star who is widely regarded as the draft's most cherished prize.

"Try to find a negative on him," said Jeffrey Foster, president of the NFL scouting service. "It's hard to do."

The Broncos made two trade proposals last month for the Lions' No. 2 pick, but were rebuffed. The chances of revisiting a deal for Johnson on draft day this weekend diminished with the Lions' decision

The Broncos could move up to the No. 10 pick by trading their first-round pick, second- round pick and one of their two third-round picks to the Houston Texans. But at that point, the Broncos likely wouldn't have enough left to deal with Detroit.

The only way the Broncos likely could get Johnson is if teams picking No. 3 through 10 don't make a serious bid for the Lions' No. 2 choice. That appears unlikely. There have been numerous reports that Tampa Bay, which has the No. 4 pick, will make a serious play for Johnson.
        Here is a negative on him: He won't ever wear Orange and Blue it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by atl-bronco

Before this I was hoping for Trent Green to get traded to the Dolphins and Culpepper would be sent to the Raiders, allowing the Raiders to select CJ number 1.

At least it looks probable that we can manuever to snatch an impact player for the Dline without giving up the 'farm'.
          I also agree!

Comment

Picking that early in the draft kills the salary cap. Otherwise, I would have loved the possibility.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by 24CHAMP24

if Calvi Johnson drops to ¤21 i think we should get him, otherwise, I think we should forget about it

Comment

Has everyone gone mad!

Calvin Johnson is a very good player, probably the best in the draft, but he is not worth all those picks we were gonna give up man, what are we the Redskins of something? Shanahan is on a power trip i think, he is really making me look at him
                differently now man, we have always pride our selves through the draft and a little bit of free agency.
                I think that we should stay where we are and stop lookin for these instant miricles.

GO BRONCOS!

Comment

i heard calvins stock is falling...we could get him wth our early 3rd.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by atl-bronco

I agree. With the CJ pick we will be bypassing our real need DE/DT!

----------------------------------------------
                    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

Ahhh!!! I hate this speculation stuff. Gets you all excited and hyped up on the possibilities...

<yardo="sad">Only to be let down.</yardo>

Comment

There's still hope:
                        SEATTLE--The Seattle Seahawks first pick in the 2007 draft doesn’t come until the second round, so the chances of landing a blue chip prospect are fairly slim. However, noting the unpredictable nature of the draft, the ‘Hawks are still holding out hope that a franchise player, such as Georgia Tech wideout Calvin Johnson, will drop to them at the 55th pick.

“Everybody here really has their fingers crossed that something good will happen for us,” said GM Tim Ruskell. “The way I see it, if Oakland goes with Russell and the Lions go with Joe Thomas and the Browns go with Brady Quinn and the Bucs trade down for some value picks and Arizona drafts someone else and the Redskins do something stupid, we feel like we have a chance at this guy. Long shot? Yes. That’s why we’re taking a pragmatic approach to it. If he falls to us, great. If not, we just won’t select anybody in that spot.”

Ruskell has already spoken to Johnson’s agent, Bus Cook, about possible parameters for a contract and signing bonus.

“We’ve had some preliminary talks with Bus and Calvin,” Ruskell said. “Looks like they’re going to want first round money even if they fall to the second round. Hey, I don’t blame him. The kid’s a blue chipper and he wants to be paid accordingly. We can just give him a nice signing bonus and a back loaded deal so if he’s a bust we can cut him after the first couple years. Of course, he’s not going to be a bust. It’s simply not possible. I read it on the internet.”

Unfortunately for the Seahawks and their fans, it looks like one of the teams with a Top 5 pick will scoop up Johnson before he has a chance to fall. Some are even predicting the Raiders will select him with the first pick, though it appears more likely he will go second, third, or fourth. Whoever gets him, scouts say, will have a franchise player on their hands.

“He’s the best prospect in the draft by far,” said one scout, after watching Johnson perform at the combine. “If he slips to the second round, I’ll…actually, forget it. There’s no way he’s slipping to the second round. The Seahawks need to trade up if they want a shot at him. I suggest sending a sixth round pick to the Raiders for their number one. Just remind them Tom Brady was picked in the sixth round. They’ll think they’re getting the steal of the century.”

The Seahawks aren’t putting much stock into rumors that Tampa Bay, Cleveland, and Detroit are eyeing Johnson, since teams at the top of the draft often send out misinformation to conceal their true intentions.

“Never, ever put stock into what teams say before the draft,” Ruskell said. “Most of it is just misinformation. Look at me. I’ve been telling everybody that Calvin Johnson is 5’6 and 185 pounds and that he’s actually a punter from Montana State. Is it true? Maybe. Maybe not. See, this is called a ‘smoke screen.’ Now people aren’t going to know what to make of this guy.”

Since leaving school, Johnson has done everything in his power to prove he is worthy of being the top pick. Even if he goes second or third, the classy, humble receiver has promised to sign with whichever team picks him.

“I’ll happily sign with whatever team drafts me,” said Johnson. “It’s a privilege to be playing in the NFL at all, especially when you go in the top three or four picks, because you get all that signing bonus money which guarantees that even if you’re a bust you’ve still had a wildly successful career by an normal person’s standards. Not that I’m going to be a bust. It’s just that I’ve heard some whispers about my work ethic, and I’d rather be safe than sorry.”
                        sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

We already have Brandon Marshall we dont need him

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by muse
                            There's still hope:
                            The Seahawks might be the dumbest team in the league.

Sig by Sky.:salute:

All you nooby dooby doos need to stop making stupid threads.:coffee:

Comment

Working...
                            X