Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deal with Lions dead

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5735840

Broncos fans should stop dreaming about wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

An NFL source says the Detroit Lions will trade their No. 2 overall draft pick, but will entertain offers only from teams with picks 3 through 10. That means the Broncos, with their No. 21 pick, likely are too far away to move up and get Johnson, the Georgia Tech star who is widely regarded as the draft's most cherished prize.

"Try to find a negative on him," said Jeffrey Foster, president of the NFL scouting service. "It's hard to do."

The Broncos made two trade proposals last month for the Lions' No. 2 pick, but were rebuffed. The chances of revisiting a deal for Johnson on draft day this weekend diminished with the Lions' decision to stay within the top 10 picks.

The Broncos could move up to the No. 10 pick by trading their first-round pick, second- round pick and one of their two third-round picks to the Houston Texans. But at that point, the Broncos likely wouldn't have enough left to deal with Detroit.

The only way the Broncos likely could get Johnson is if teams picking No. 3 through 10 don't make a serious bid for the Lions' No. 2 choice. That appears unlikely. There have been numerous reports that Tampa Bay, which has the No. 4 pick, will make a serious play for Johnson.

Originally posted by SuperD77
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5735840

Broncos fans should stop dreaming about wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

An NFL source says the Detroit Lions will trade their No. 2 overall draft pick, but will entertain offers only from teams with picks 3 through 10. That means the Broncos, with their No. 21 pick, likely are too far away to move up and get Johnson, the Georgia Tech star who is widely regarded as the draft's most cherished prize.

"Try to find a negative on him," said Jeffrey Foster, president of the NFL scouting service. "It's hard to do."

The Broncos made two trade proposals last month for the Lions' No. 2 pick, but were rebuffed. The chances of revisiting a deal for Johnson on draft day this weekend diminished with the Lions' decision to stay within the top 10 picks.

The Broncos could move up to the No. 10 pick by trading their first-round pick, second- round pick and one of their two third-round picks to the Houston Texans. But at that point, the Broncos likely wouldn't have enough left to deal with Detroit.

The only way the Broncos likely could get Johnson is if teams picking No. 3 through 10 don't make a serious bid for the Lions' No. 2 choice. That appears unlikely. There have been numerous reports that Tampa Bay, which has the No. 4 pick, will make a serious play for Johnson.
    Oh well, moving on......:paper:
    sigpic

Comment

Something tells me it was dead yesterday, and the day before and the day before and...........
      A Wise Man Once Told Me Dont Argue With Fools Cuz People From a Distance Cant Tell Who is Who

Comment

Originally posted by MilitantDBFan
        Something tells me it was dead yesterday, and the day before and the day before and...........

wow just yesterday you were saying how it was possible to get him and how bad you wanted him....so please tell me wut ur talking about
        "If you fumble the ball, I will break off my foot in your John Brown hind parts; and then you will run a mile."My Adopted bronc is Duke Ihenacho

Comment

I hope it is dead. I hope it was never really on the radar of the FO, and was pure unfounded rumor. We have far more pressing needs than WR

Comment

I hope they can trade up but Im quite happy the deal is dead. History says completely mortgaging the future for one player doesn't seem to work. See trades for Hershel Walker and Ricky Williams. The Broncos need depth. The Pats have proven a good draft giving your team depth is the way to go.

Comment

I most certainly hope it's dead. With Javon, Marshall, Rod, and Stokely I don't think we need any other recievers on our team.
              Originally posted by Soldier96B
              i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

You guys are in a prime position to take Meachem/Ginn/Bowe, and though Johnson would be awesome to have, I think one of those 3 WRs along with a DE, either Spencer/Crowder/Abiamiri in the 2nd is a good way to go as well.

Comment

i agree with above we dont need calvin johnson!! yeah it would be cool to have him but really...no we do not need him!! we should trade up and try and get carriker though because thats what we really need! for real we wont get either of these 2 guys but there is still some names available by 21 that will make major contributions to denver if we pick right! get a DE in the first round!!!!
                  GO ANGELS!!!!!!! signed torii hunter!!!

[

denver will go 7-9 this year and 12-4 next year and a 14-2 the following year and superbowl appearance by 2010

Comment

Originally posted by 85BearFan
                    You guys are in a prime position to take Meachem/Ginn/Bowe, and though Johnson would be awesome to have, I think one of those 3 WRs along with a DE, either Spencer/Crowder/Abiamiri in the 2nd is a good way to go as well.

Totally agree. I particularly like Meachem. I don't understand why people on here aren't talking about him much. WR is still a need, and Meachem is a better prospect than Chad Jackson was last year (who everybody wanted).

Comment

Originally posted by 85BearFan
                      One thing about picking late in the first, a team must have several options.

Comment

Not that I am saying I hope it isn't dead cuz we would be getting fleeced in this deal unless CJ proves to be a HOF'er and second coming of Jerry Rice... but just cuz they say it is dead doesn't mean it is, just like we may not even be offering what they say we are... I aint sayin they are wrong for sure... but its easy to look like the deal is dead only to actually happen draft day..

I dunno I think this is going to be one interestin draft.. hope it turns out like last years!
                        Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                        Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                        Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Originally posted by JoRo
                          Not that I am saying I hope it isn't dead cuz we would be getting fleeced in this deal unless CJ proves to be a HOF'er and second coming of Jerry Rice... but just cuz they say it is dead doesn't mean it is, just like we may not even be offering what they say we are... I aint sayin they are wrong for sure... but its easy to look like the deal is dead only to actually happen draft day..

I dunno I think this is going to be one interestin draft.. hope it turns out like last years!
                          The deal might be dead but Shanny is working it. He works the draft better than anyone. IMO

I dont think we will be picking at 21. IDK if we move up or down.

Comment

Originally posted by bleedbluorange
                            The deal might be dead but Shanny is working it. He works the draft better than anyone. IMO

I dont think we will be picking at 21. IDK if we move up or down.

From the sounds of it, Denver won't get #2. The Lions want to move down, but not THAT down (just out of Calvin Johnson, so Matt Millen doesn't have to decided between drafting ANOTHER 1st round WR, and passing on what could be an elite, HoF-caliber receiver...and losing either way.) If rumors are true (and they always are, right?), Tampa Bay wouldn't have to give up TOO much for the move to #2.

And a lot of this trade speculation goes in the toilet if Oakland takes CJ at #1. Which *almost* makes it worth it!

With the CJ talk dead(ish), I'd put a couple hard-earned dollars on Denver moving down...although this will be a draft-day deal. A player will drop, a team will want said player, but needs to jump a couple other teams to ensure getting that player.

It's been said before, but I'll say it again: this draft should be FUN!
                            "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

"All models are wrong, but some are useful."

Comment

Bummma....

Comment

Working...
                              X