Our D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our D

One of the primary reasons I've seen people complaining about the possible trade for Calvin Johnson is that we're basically giving up our entire draft this year for a WR, when we have a number of needs on Defense.

It's a valid arguement, if you truly believe that our defense is very weak and would stop us from challenging for a SB.

However, I don't.

Our defensive line isn't fantastic, there can be no arguement about that. But it's not as atrociuos as some people on here seem to think. Lang and Ekuban are solid if unspectacular at DE, and can only expect to get better with Jim Bates, who is renowned for getting great production from his pass rushers, running our D now. Add in Dumerville as a situational guy and I believe we're OK.

DT is a bigger worry. Warren is the only player at tackle that I'm comfortable with really, but if we were to get the deal with the Lions through we'll still have some late round picks to pick up a big, fat space eater to play alongside him.

At LB we've lost Al Wilson, but I don't believe this will hurt us too much. DJ Williams is likely to see his prduction increase with a move to MIKE, while Webster should be passable at SLB replacing Williams.

In the backfield we should have Ferguson and Brandon back, and it can't be argued that losing them last year really hurt us. We'll need new safeties soon, certainly when Lynch retires. But, IF Ferguson and Brandon are back, I think we're fine at safety for another year. Meanwhile our CB's are as good as any in the league.

People forget how good our D was at the start of last year, and to all intents and purposes we'll be going into this season with the same guys. Our downfall last year was that, along with injuries, teams figured out our system and took it apart in the latter stages of the season. With a new DC who I expect to be much more aggressive and varied in his playcalling, I believe we can get back to being a solid D with much the same guys we have now, provided we pick up a DT late in the draft.

We won't be a defense to rival the Bears or Ravens, but with Cutler armed with weapons like Henry, Graham, Scheffler, Walker, CJ and Marshall we really won't have to be.

The idea will be to score a lot of points, and if we do that then our defense will just have to be good, not great.

And I believe it can be.

So I'm all for the Calvin Johnson plan.
    Last edited by Schism; 04-24-2007, 11:42 AM.

Originally posted by Schism
    One of the primary reasons I've seen people complaining about the possible trade for Calvin Johnson is that we're basically giving up our entire draft this year for a WR, when we have a number of needs on Defense.

It's a valid arguement, if you truly believe that our defense is very weak and would stop us from challenging for a SB.

However, I don't.

Our defensive line isn't fantastic, there can be no arguement about that. But it's not as atrociuos as some people on here seem to think. Lang and Ekuban are solid if unspectacular at DE, and can only expect to get better with Jim Bates, who is renowned for getting great production from his pass rushers, running our D now. Add in Dumerville as a situational guy and I believe we're OK.

DT is a bigger worry. Warren is the only player at tackle that I'm comfortable with really, but if we were to get the deal with the Lions through we'll still have some late round picks to pick up a big, fat space eater to play alongside him.

At LB we've lost Al Wilson, but I don't believe this will hurt us too much. DJ Williams is likely to see his prduction increase with a move to MIKE, while Webster should be passable at SLB replacing Gold.

In the backfield we should have Ferguson and Brandon back, and it can't be argued that losing them last year really hurt us. We'll need new safeties soon, certainly when Lynch retires. But, IF Ferguson and Brandon are back, I think we're fine at safety for another year. Meanwhile our CB's are as good as any in the league.

People forget how good our D was at the start of last year, and to all intents and purposes we'll be going into this season with the same guys. Our downfall last year was that, along with injuries, teams figured out our system and took it apart in the latter stages of the season. With a new DC who I expect to be much more aggressive and varied in his playcalling, I believe we can get back to being a solid D with much the same guys we have now, provided we pick up a DT late in the draft.

We won't be a defense to rival the Bears or Ravens, but with Cutler armed with weapons like Henry, Graham, Scheffler, Walker, CJ and Marshall we really won't have to be.

The idea will be to score a lot of points, and if we do that then our defense will just have to be good, not great.

And I believe it can be.

Lions have stated that they are only willing to talk with teams in the top 10 of the first round...which rules us out - Deal for CJ is dead

Comment

Originally posted by DTownNative
      Lions have stated that they are only willing to talk with teams in the top 10 of the first round...which rules us out - Deal for CJ is dead
      And it hasn't occured to you that they might be bluffing, or trying to stir up more interest intheir pick?

It's unlikely that we'll get Johnson, yes.

But if they don't get a better offer then I'm sure they'll at least think about revisiting the deal.

It's not really the point of the thread, though.

Comment

Webster to replace Gold? Where the hell is Gold going?!?!?
        Originally posted by Soldier96B
        i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

Originally posted by SeeingRed
          Webster to replace Gold? Where the hell is Gold going?!?!?
          Edited: I meant Williams, obviously, seeing as Gold doesn't play SLB.

Comment

Originally posted by Schism

However, I don't.

At LB we've lost Al Wilson, but I don't believe this will hurt us too much. DJ Williams is likely to see his prduction increase with a move to MIKE, while Webster should be passable at SLB replacing Gold.

And I believe it can be.

1st off, relax the whole CJ thing is just a smokescreen to screw with greasy al. Shanny loves making AL squirm and i'm sure before sat. Gruden will get in on the fun. By starting rumors like the one with Det. it also allows the Broncos some leeway at getting the player they want to fall. If Al takes CJ the whole draft goes in a different direction, maybe a direction that Shanny wants!
            2nd i agree with you that DT/DE is our most pressing need. Hopefully a jenkins or Rodgers trade is in the works. I can totally see the Broncos trading a 3rd for either player on draft day.
            3rd the Broncos DO have a need for a safety! Why? because next years class of safeties is not as good as this years or last years. Safety is very DEEp this year. It would be wise to take one in the 3rd round at the very least. Fergie has maybe 2 more years in the tank and Lynch , well.....i dont want to speculate. Brandon is the most underappreciated overrachiever on the Broncos. He gets little to no respect for the great coverage ability he brings to the secondary. Very few give him credit on this site. One of the biggest reasons our D struggled last year was Brandon being MIA. I know he had the knee injury, but from what ive heard he is recovering just fine and will be ready. Still, the Broncos could use 1 of the talented safeties to bulk up at the position. Not a 1st rounder though IMHO.

Comment

Working...
            X