Best Available or Need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Available or Need?

Well you all know Shanny, so I was wondering what you all thought? With all the rumors going around that we might get the Texans pick or Carolinas pick or either just staying with our own, #21, what will Shanny do? Go with the best available player or a NEED this year?

Always draft need.

Period.

Logjamming some positions while ignoring others just to get the BAF makes no logical sense at all.

No coach or team does this, but they should.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
    You should check these guys out

Comment

need, because lynch is gonna be there at 21 I have a feeling and he'll be the bpa and that would be retarded to draft him

Comment

Make the BPA fit your need. IF you need a S get to a spot where the best S is. No reason this can not be done.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
        J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
        R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Mike Shanahan is best known for taking the best player on the board, then his second pick is need.

My philosophy would be to select the best player at the most needed position first, then.........
          Emancipate your mind!
          The People's Poster

Comment

Drafting for need doesn't make sense unless the best player you have rated is also one at a need position.

Let's say Team A needs a defensive back. They're at pick #21. The highest defensive back they have left is graded as a late-second rounder. Do you take that guy, or do you go for another player who is ranked with a first-round grade who can contribute to your team.

BPA all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream
              Drafting for need doesn't make sense unless the best player you have rated is also one at a need position.

Let's say Team A needs a defensive back. They're at pick #21. The highest defensive back they have left is graded as a late-second rounder. Do you take that guy, or do you go for another player who is ranked with a first-round grade who can contribute to your team.

BPA all the way.
              I agree. While it is nice to fill a team need, sometimes that leads a team to SEVERELY over-reach for a player. Sometimes you have to take BPA, or at least one that comes as close to filling a need as possible. Add to that the contracts that these players get nowadays before they have proven it on a professional field and you are going to want to get the most bang for your buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream

BPA all the way.
                thank you...this is a no brainer...

for a team like the broncos....a team with many needs it is silly to go into the draft thinking "Defensive end, defensive end we have to get a DE in the 1st round."

that's silly...

my look on it is you take the best player available out of a variety of positions..

for me our positions i could see us taking in rd 1... DE, DT, OT, S, and possibly even wide receiver or runningback...

my strategy is to take the best available player out of those positions.....just take whoever falls into our lap, don't think we HAVE TO DRAFT DEFENSIVE END

what we do need out of our 1st and 2nd round picks this year... is an impact, we want them both to step in and start/make a big impact for our team

Made by Snk16

Comment

shanny's pickin the best player available

did anybody predict we were taking Cutler before the draft????

RIP Darrent It's been one year, Gone but never Forgotten.

I Adopted JayCutler4MVP!!! and DJ Williams

Comment

See "Texans Guide for Drafting" about drafting based purely on need.....
                    Let's draft her....

Comment

it's my non-professional opinion that Shanahan is looking to lock up #10, retain a 3rd rounder for a DE and hoping Lynch and Brandon hold up the secondary this year. My gut tells me he's got a man crush on Willis.
                      Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

Comment

So would we go for best player available if our pick came up and it was a QB, a CB, a center???? Houston fails because they have yet to address their biggest need, O line. They never got a single snap out of Tony Boselli. How different a player would Carr have been if he'd had a decent line? Just ask Steve Young the difference between his Tampa vs SF experience. Houston is trying for big name players to sell tickets because they have no tradition yet. If they don't concentrate on Oline then they are still in a "just trying to sell jerseys" mode.
                        Denver has some serious chemistry going because of continuity, and they need a few extreme quality additions to be a much better team, especially dline. We need SOLID and immediate contribution from our pass rush this year, or we are in for more 9-7 type seasons. We are a team that should put in-game need above more competition at training camp. I don't want to have the top-5 WR's in the league just to have a loaded roster at one spot and ignore weaknesses again.
                        Last edited by gobroncsnv; 04-25-2007, 06:31 PM.

Comment

i think you draft the best player available. obviously, need is important too. i think the way you address need is by moving around in the draft to put yourself in the best possible position to get a player that is valuable at that pick and addresses a need. if this can't be achieved, i think you still pick the best player available. basically, do not reach TOO far for a player based on need.
                          Pro McD

Comment

Working...
                          X