Karma thread-Official Oline bandwagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karma thread-Official Oline bandwagon

My dream of getting a couple top notch Olineman is quickly disolving with us getting serious about moving up. So, I decided to make a karma thread to hopefully influence the football fates.

I like many of you would love to get a pass rush. I really wouldn't mind getting CJ (he just special), but I think the best possible move for us this year is to go Oline. We have in place just about all the pieces for an Offense that can play together for the next 4-6 years. Guys with talent that play together that long become a well oiled machine.

Players aquired in the past two year on Offense.

QB - Cutler
    RB - Henry & M Bell
    TE - Scheffler
    TE - Graham
    WR - Walker
    WR - Marshall
    OG - Kuper
    RT - Pears

Compared to two years ago

QB - Plummer ... upgraded
    RB - MA & T Bell ... upgraded
    TE - Putzier .... think its upgraded
    TE - Carswell ... upgraded
    WR - Rod ... upgraded based on age
    WR - Lelie .... Looks like an upgrade
    OG - Cooper .... upgraded was outplayed by Kuper last year
    RT - Foster .... can not be worse

This changeover has been nothing short of miraculous. While retooling the O we went to an AFCC game and barely missed the playoffs. Of course I wanted to get into the playoffs, but the experience JC, Schef, Marshall, Kuper, Pears, & Bell got last year was huge.

The only thing that is missing is a replacement for Lepsis and Hamilton's spot at Guard. Here is where drafting Staley and Blalock would be perfect. Both could rotate in over the year without the pressure of having to just take over. Even if Lepsis stays another year, he can move back to the right side with Pears continuing to learn as the top backup for both sides. It would create a possible probowl leftside. Can you imagine going into next years draft completely focused on D.

Bates just got here. Give him a year to sift through the guys we already have, he just may turn up a diamond in the rough. After a year, I think he will have a much, much better idea of the players we need and of who we don't.

This draft is set up perfectly for us to grab some genuine talent for our Oline. If our entire 1st day ended with us getting Staley, Blalock and Soliai or Jenkins (we do need a DT) I would be thrilled.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
    J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
    R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Originally posted by SM19
    I'm with you on Staley. Left tackle is a first-round peak position, and we were lucky enough to get one of the best as an undrafted free agent. We won't be that lucky again. I'd pass on Staley if it meant trading up for Anderson (or Okoye, dare to dream), but he'd be a great pick for us.

Blalock I'm not so excited about. Guard is a luxury position to spend a first or high second on, and we can't afford that luxury. We're good at finding the ones that fit our system but not most teams' and it often doesn't matter what round you take them in anyway. (See the chart here for confirmation of this.)
    When was the last time we had great guard play? Last great Denver G imo was Dan Neil (before all the injuries) he was taken in the third round. There is a higher premium on Guards now then there was back then. Look at the contracts that above average Guards are getting now.

I understand that many teams use scrubs for Guards, which is why guys like Ross Verba always ends up starting for a different team each year. I would like to get better than an average guy.

Comment

Tidbit on Blalock

1. Justin Blalock - Texas

A lot ''experts'' don't have him as the top guard in this draft, and personally I think they are retarded. I like Ben Grubbs as much as the next guy, as you will see below, but Blalock is a dominate... I repeat DOMINATE player. He wowed scouts at the combine bench pressing 225 40 consecutive times, which was more than any other player this year. I have had the privilege of watching the vast majority of this young super hulks games, and that weight room strength unquestionably translates into football strength. The four year stater for the horns plays with a mean streak like very few linemen do, and finishes his blocks. Blalock lead the way for the dominate Texas run game as he constantly jolted defenders, getting great push and racked up plenty of pancakes. He truly engulfs defenders. This consensus first team All-American last year (in addition to his other accolades: first team Freshman All-American 2003, first team All-Big 12 2004-2006) has great size, 6'3'' 320, combined with impressive speed, 5.1. The knock on Blalock is that he lacks ideal lateral quickness to play tackle, which is why I have him in my guard rankings. He played the final 6 games of last year at guard after starting the rest of his career at right tackle. I do think he could play right tackle, but I know he can play guard and make multiple pro-bowls. He needs to refine his technique a little bit, as does virtually every prospect, but Coach Mack Brown raves about this kid. He's legit, the size and strength to physically over match defenders at the line and the surprising speed and athleticism to get to the next level and protect his QB versus speed rushers. In case you couldn't tell I really like him. Blalock is an elite talent in this draft, but his position is one that very rarely gets picked high. Still Blalock is one of the few guard talents who warrants a first round pick, yet it looks like he will slide into the mid second round where he will provide one of the best values in this draft.

http://sportsbullies.blogspot.com/

Comment

One on Staley

Joe Staley - Central Michigan

Could be the fastest tackle ever to enter in the draft, 4.8. Staley's physical abilities, and relative newness to the position, give him a ridiculously high ceiling. According to Bill Parcell's "Planet Theory" huge, athletic, dominate tackles (on both sides of the ball) are so rare that they are immensely valuable. Staley isn't all potential though, he plays with a great motor and good technique. Tremdously naturally strong, Staley still can add 15-20 pounds of muscle to his frame in his first year or two in the pros which will ameliorate scouts major consern, size. He will sometimes be beaten by bull rushers (but adding muscle and staying lower will correct the problem.) The 6'6'' 305lb Staley is by no means a small man, but adding the extra size and strength without compromising his greatest assest (speed/lateral quickness) will make Staley a standout for years to come. The left tackle position requires guys who can move well in space while occuping defensive ends and linebackers. Guys like Staley and Thomas who can be left one on one allow for tight ends and backs to take on other responsibilities (routes/blocking other defenders) which hugely helps an offensive. Staley would be perfect for the Denver Broncos who value smaller, mobile linemen. However they seem to have their sights aimed else where. Joe seems to be one of the prospects moving up teams boards the quickest in the days before the draft so pinpointing where he will go is hard. He is definately be the highest selected Central Michigan alumnus since the unfrozen caveman center. Staley will be a great pick for any team in the mid to late first round.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007
          One on Staley

. Staley would be perfect for the Denver Broncos who value smaller, mobile linemen..

I don't know if this is still true. I think with Plummer who ran Bootlegs about everyplay (nothing aginst Plummer it was just his strength) you needed smaller offensive linemen because they would have to do what is called "Stunts" roll to the right or to the left which requires more speed instead of just one on one blocking.

Now with Cutler who is a more pocket passer you want bigger lineman who don't have to roll out as much. I heard that Denver asked the O Lineman to bulk up.

I do like the idea of us getting an Joe Thomas or Levi Brown at LT - could it happen? I just don't know?

----------------------------------------------
          I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

Originally posted by cutlerfan
            I don't know if this is still true. I think with Plummer who ran Bootlegs about everyplay (nothing aginst Plummer it was just his strength) you needed smaller offensive linemen because they would have to do what is called "Stunts" roll to the right or to the left instead of just one on one blocking.

Now with Cutler who is a more pocket passer you want bigger lineman who don't have to roll out as much. I heard that Denver asked the O Lineman to bulk up.

I do like the idea of us getting an Joe Thomas or Levi Brown at LT - could it happen? I just don't know?

on his size this was in the article also:

Tremdously naturally strong, Staley still can add 15-20 pounds of muscle to his frame in his first year or two in the pros which will ameliorate scouts major consern, size.
            I think he could easily go 320-325 on his 6'6" frame.

Comment

I don't know if this is still true. I think with Plummer who ran Bootlegs about everyplay (nothing aginst Plummer it was just his strength) you needed smaller offensive linemen because they would have to do what is called "Stunts" roll to the right or to the left which requires more speed instead of just one on one blocking.

The issue is not that Denver wants "smaller" lineman, just "quicker." Which usually means "smaller."

And since Denver is not giving up the Zone Blocking scheme, that is not likely to change. Zone blocking requires linemen to have good lateral mobility, as the entire line will have to slide as unit, blocking their zone, and create a seam for the RB to run through.

It's not the QB in Denver that has dictated the type of offensive linemen, but the running game.
              "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

"All models are wrong, but some are useful."

Comment

Originally posted by CSU_stat
                The issue is not that Denver wants "smaller" lineman, just "quicker." Which usually means "smaller."

And since Denver is not giving up the Zone Blocking scheme, that is not likely to change. Zone blocking requires linemen to have good lateral mobility, as the entire line will have to slide as unit, blocking their zone, and create a seam for the RB to run through.

It's not the QB in Denver that has dictated the type of offensive linemen, but the running game.

You make a good point about the running game but why did they ask the linemen to bulk up more for this season?

----------------------------------------------
                I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

You make a good point about the running game but why did they ask the linemen to bulk up more for this season?

Red Zone efficiency. I think there's a difference between "bulking up" and going after 330-340 lb. behemoths. Denver has had issues the past couple of seasons moving the pile in goal line situations (see: game 17 vs. San Francisco.) Ideally, the linemen will keep the bulk (hehe, get it...bulk?) of their agility, but have a little more power for 3rd and 1 or goal line situations.
                  "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

"All models are wrong, but some are useful."

Comment

Working...
                  X