X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shannahan=riverboat gambler

Good Read about draft strategy......

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY
    Here's a look at how clandestine things get before the NFL draft: Last year, Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan made a stealthy move, trading up to obtain the 11th pick from St. Louis to select Jay Cutler, his strong-armed vision of a young John Elway. But Shanahan never talked to Cutler or worked him out.
    It's a lesson learned from selecting linebacker John Mobley, whom he knew then-Dallas Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson coveted in 1996.

"I just believe, especially in a position like we were, you start to talk to people, people anticipate you trading up and then you lose that position," Shanahan says of the Cutler trade. "When we got John Mobley, Jimmy Johnson really wanted him. The reason he didn't move up was because he knew we never talked to Mobley as a coaching staff.

"It's like playing poker. You don't want to give your hand away."

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock knew when Cutler would come off the board. He just never expected Shanahan jumping up for him.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: NFL | St. Louis | Denver Broncos | Dallas Cowboys | DRAFT | Mike Shanahan | Cutler | John Mobley | Tom Heckert
    "I picked Cutler to go in the 11th slot," Mayock says. "I was surprised when it was Denver that traded up. Afterward, I cross-checked with some contacts across the league, and they all said, 'We didn't know Shanahan had any interest.' I give Mike Shanahan a lot of credit for that one."

Philadelphia Eagles general manager Tom Heckert says pre-draft gamesmanship includes scheduling decoy player visits. Teams are allowed to invite 30 college players to their complex for follow-up interviews after meeting at the scouting combine and pro day workouts. Some are positional bluffs to throw teams off.

Former Cowboys personnel guru and NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt calls April "national liar's month" in the NFL.

"Everybody's allowed to bring in 30 guys; you can work them out and talk to them," Heckert says. "We ask ourselves, 'If we bring this guy in, should we probably bring in another guy that we're not interested in?' With the Internet, everybody knows who's visited you around the league. So you have to have some smoke screens."

"If I'm asked who the best five receivers are, I'll talk about five guys and maybe the fifth is the guy we're interested in."

Cardinals general manager Rod Graves says internal mock drafts are an important exercise to prepare for draft-day situations and assess other team's needs.

Says Mayock: "Part of manipulating the draft is understanding the other 31 teams and what they consider value. What you consider value as a 3-4 team is opposite what a 4-3 team does.

"But if a 3-4 nose tackle suddenly slides a little, you have to be aware what other teams might want him so you can trade down. That's why the best drafting teams are most cognizant of the entire league. They trust the value of their board."

Posted 1h 11m ago
    Updated 22m ago E-mail | Save | Print |
    To report corrections and clarifications, contact Reader Editor Brent Jones

Conversation guidelines: USA TODAY welcomes your thoughts, stories and information related to this article. Please stay on topic

Great read, CP to you.

I am glad Shanny held his hand and we got Mobley all those years ago. Mobley was a great LB. Hopefully, I can say the same about Jay Cutler in 10 years.

Comment

Agreed - thanks for sharing.

Using similar logic, what players would fall into this 'we've never said a word about...' category?

Levi Brown?
      Laron Landry?
      Gaines Adams?
      Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

Comment

I would be ecstatic if we were able to grab Landry. He seems like a career player and we wouldn't have to trade as much away opposed to trying to land the 2nd pick.

Comment

And note: Oakland is playing the game. They've discussed basic contract terms with Brady Quinn, JaMarcus Russell, and Calvin Johnson. It's safe for them to tip which players they're looking at, but they haven't tipped which POSITION they're going for.

I'm at the point where I don't really care to prognosticate. Right now, the draft is just fun to watch.
          "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

"All models are wrong, but some are useful."

Comment

Originally posted by SM19
            If it's someone we've never said a word about, it's undoubtedly Landry. Getting high enough to take him will be a problem, though.

Landry would require AT LEAST a top ten pick (probably closer to top seven or eight.) ESPN's Mock (going on right now) has Landry going eighth to the Falcons; if they don't move up to take CJ, that's where Denver would need to be, and it would take a lot of extra picks to make it happen.

My guess: Denver will NOT move up past #10. Just too pricey for the value you can get in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
            "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

"All models are wrong, but some are useful."

Comment

I've long since given up on trying to predict Shanahan. That is why I never believe any draft rumors about Denver. Too much misinformation out there...which I am sure is intentionally leaked to mask his plans.

I will just sit back and enjoy the ride.
              Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruke
                Agreed - thanks for sharing.

Using similar logic, what players would fall into this 'we've never said a word about...' category?

Levi Brown?
                Laron Landry?
                Gaines Adams?
                Shannahan didn't say a word to Cutler, Scheffler, or Dumerville, until he told them, they were going to Denver...

So my guess is whomever he wants this year, he hasn't talked to yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jbozer
                  I would be ecstatic if we were able to grab Landry. He seems like a career player and we wouldn't have to trade as much away opposed to trying to land the 2nd pick.
                  The other day I found myself thinking who Shanny was targeting in this years draft.I knew it had to be some not mentioned at all by the Broncos Orginization and someone playing a posistion that we haven't really talked about. That made me think safety. John Lynch is getting old and will be out in a couple more years if not this one. On the other side of the feild we keep replacing with differnt names like Nick Ferguson. Don't get me wrong Nick is "OK" but drafting Landry would boost that side of the field. I think that Shanny believes we have a good enough d-line and he will try to trade up and grab Landry. I really hoipe I am right It will take alot to get there but I think Shanny can and hopefully will get it done
                  Twitter: @FFB_Hitman88

Comment

Originally posted by CSU_stat
                    And note: Oakland is playing the game. They've discussed basic contract terms with Brady Quinn, JaMarcus Russell, and Calvin Johnson. It's safe for them to tip which players they're looking at, but they haven't tipped which POSITION they're going for.

I'm at the point where I don't really care to prognosticate. Right now, the draft is just fun to watch.
                    Al Davis is trying to maximize his trading potential for teams desparate to get Calvin Johnson. Problem is that everybody knows he's either going to take Johnson himself or else take Jamarcus Russell. So, if he takes Russell, the Lions pick is the one to move up and get. If not, then stay put.

If the Raiders wanted to move down significantly beyond #5 and take a 2nd round QB or something, then they should have done so already. Trading that #1 overall pick is hard to do because it costs so much in draft points to move up there.

The last team that tried it, the Giants got badly burned by moving up for Eli Manning. Moving up to #1 for a WR, no matter how talented makes little sense.
                    sigpic

Comment

What about Joe Staley, we haven't talked that much oficially about OT
                      "If you are going through hell...keep going." Winston Churchill

"If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you'll be fired with enthusiasm." Vince Lombardi

Comment

We also have not talked to..

Mason Crosby... hahaha. That's it.

If everyone else wants to get draft happy.

Welcome Mason Crosby to the team boys!(and girls)
                        sigpic

Comment

Last year no one expected so many corners and safeties to go so early. But lots where chosen early. Everyone new Huff was going early, but Donte Whitner, Tye Hill, Antonio Cromarte and Jason Allen all going before 20? No one predicted that. So hopefully the corners of this draft will be picked higher then expected and let some of what we need fall down far enough so we can get them.

Comment

Originally posted by WhatWould#7Do
                            What about Joe Staley, we haven't talked that much oficially about OT
                            Hard to tell with him. He would be a great pick up for us if we stayed at 21. We dont usually take oline that eary, and last time we did look what happened(Foster). Are oline was not up to par in broncos standards last year though. Tune in saturday to find out what happens, same bat time, same bat channel

Comment

Working...
                            X