• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • D3N7ER 8r0I\I<05
    Banned User
    • Apr 2007

The Draft According to SM19

Looks plausible throughout, and solid Denver pick. Nice work.
  • slick7
    Zero Gravity
    • Jun 2003

Nice mock SM19. I like Moss, I'd be surprised if we took him. I liked your explanation of Shanahan doing the unexpected.

Comment

• topscribe
      RIP BFC, D-Will, Damien
      • Apr 2005

Nice mock, I think, SM19.

However, if we are reduced to Moss, I would like to see Staley in the fold.

For what it's worth. *shrugs*

-----

Comment

• topscribe
        RIP BFC, D-Will, Damien
        • Apr 2005

Chris Henry . . .

Originally posted by SM19
        For the sake of completeness, my seven-round Denver mock, cross-posted from Perry's competition thread.

Round 1 (#21) - Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida
        Round 2 (#56) - Eric Weddle, S, Utah
        Round 3 (#70) - Marcus Thomas, DT, Florida
        Round 3 (#86) - Paul Soliai, DT, Utah
        Round 6 (#176) - Steve Breaston, WR, Michigan
        Round 6 (#198) - Leonard Peters, S, Hawaii
        Round 7 (#233) - Andrew Carnahan, OT, Arizona State
        Because of his impressive workouts, I don't now believe Henry will fall to the 6th
        round, but if he does, I would love to see the Broncos forget about WR and take him.
        Henry is a potential superstar, after a couple years development, IMO.

NOTE: And yes, Dream, I believe Henry has a greater upside than Lynch ever thought
        of having.

-----

Comment

• Dream
          Banned User
          • Jan 2005

I think this is a *good* mock if you feel the Broncos are going to actually address the defensive line three times on the first day, but it's a poor mock in reality. No, I cannot read the future, but the odds of spending three first-day picks on the line are slim to none. I think it's a solid mock though, but I'm disappointed without addressing the offensive line earlier though, but overall it's good.

Comment

• Dream
            Banned User
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by topscribe
            NOTE: And yes, Dream, I believe Henry has a greater upside than Lynch ever thought of having.

-----
            Upside isn't figured out just by workout numbers though, so when it comes to the play aspect of Henry at Arizona, in my opinion - sort of cancels out the whole upside thing. There has to be proof that a player has his best years of football ahead of him, and I don't think anywhere in his time at Arizona, he showed that or actually took advantage of the opportunity he had there.

People will make excuses, note the people he was running behind, (Mike Bell) but his struggles at the University/Program are well documented, and he's a classic "Looks like Tarzan, but plays like Jane" player.

He has the physical tools to succeed in the NFL, but the NFL is more than just that. If he couldn't put those physical tools to work at college, I, along with a lot of other people question his ability to do it in the NFL.

Maybe he's the next Willie Parker though, but I don't see it.

Comment

• topscribe
              RIP BFC, D-Will, Damien
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Dream
              Upside isn't figured out just by workout numbers though, so when it comes to the play aspect of Henry at Arizona, in my opinion - sort of cancels out the whole upside thing. There has to be proof that a player has his best years of football ahead of him, and I don't think anywhere in his time at Arizona, he showed that or actually took advantage of the opportunity he had there.

People will make excuses, note the people he was running behind, (Mike Bell) but his struggles at the University/Program are well documented, and he's a classic "Looks like Tarzan, but plays like Jane" player.

He has the physical tools to succeed in the NFL, but the NFL is more than just that. If he couldn't put those physical tools to work at college, I, along with a lot of other people question his ability to do it in the NFL.

Maybe he's the next Willie Parker though, but I don't see it.
              You forgot one form of documentation: me. And, so far, in all our discussions about
              Henry, you have been wrong, and I have been right. You see, as I have conveyed to
              you, several times, in fact, I KNOW what Henry's problems were. As I repeatedly
              mentioned, he was running behind Bell for one reason: he put the ball on the
              ground too many times. However, never did he lack the physical tools in college,
              as he demonstrated this last year, when the line managed to open a crease for
              him, anyway.

But you just cannot seem to comprehend that I was there. I saw. I followed him
              and all of UA football closely.

I firmly believe that if the Broncos acquired Henry they would be acquiring a
              potential star. He definitely would be a project for a couple years or so, but that is
              no problem with Travis Henry now there. The difference is, I believe Chris could
              eventually accomplish even more than what Travis can. Chris is more powerful
              than Lynch and faster and more durable than Peterson.

No one is guaranteed, coming into the NFL from college. Anyone could bust. And
              Chris Henry could be another bust . . . who knows? But he could also be a star.
              And I am not talking about another Willie Parker. I am talking about someone with
              what I believe is a greater upside than Parker's.

If Henry were available from the third round on down, I would go for him. Yes indeedy.

-----

Comment

• Dream
                Banned User
                • Jan 2005

No one is guaranteed, coming into the NFL from college. Anyone could bust. And Chris Henry could be another bust . . . who knows? But he could also be a star. And I am not talking about another Willie Parker. I am talking about someone with what I believe is a greater upside than Parker's.

If Henry were available from the third round on down, I would go for him. Yes indeedy.

-----
                You could say that for every prospect coming into the NFL Draft that has good measurables or had any sort of success in college. You missed the Willie Parker comparison big time. If you don't know what I meant, then I guess I really have no need to explain. Since I'm certain your knowledge of the draft is less than mine, I'm really not surprised. Go figure.

I haven't been wrong about Henry either. I expected him to work out good, and in all fairness, he didn't run 4.3. He was officially clocked in at a 4.4; which is still exceptional. The reality is, I don't really give much thought into posts or people who have to pick and choose about one player. My draft spectrum is much broader than that, and I simply don't have the time to argue with people who think they're right about everything, especially one player in particular.

Every year, players who work out well get taken higher than they should, and more often than not - they are out of the NFL within a few years. I don't expect Chris Henry to be an exception to this rule.

Until Chris Henry plays a down in the NFL, he cannot prove anyone right or anyone wrong. Of course it's possible he can be good, but that's just stating the obvious. It's like saying if you eat food, you're going to poop it out. So much for bold moves, heh. I mean, what are you trying to attempt with that claim? Anything? Stating the obvious?

Hey, here's a new one from me. Sidney Rice could be a great player in the NFL.

See, I can do it too, everyone can do it!

You talking about Chris Henry would be like me talking about Craig Dahl, and where I'm impressed by Dahl, I feel no need to speak up about him. I'll let his play on the field, and what he's done in college do that. Sadly enough, there's not one soul out there who can "pimp" what Henry did in college, because in short - he didn't do jack.

It'll be interesting to see where Tarjane goes in the draft though. I can only hope it's not Denver. Far too many needs to waste a first day selection on a back who can best be described as a project.

Maybe you can get back to me on this in oh, maybe three years - if I'm still alive. Until then, this book is cloooooooooosed.

Comment

• Charlie Brown
                  King of the Echo People
                  • Oct 2004

Originally posted by SM19
                  3 Cleveland Browns: Joe Thomas - If nothing else, I'll make Charlie Brown happy here.
                  Good selection and yest it does - at least a little bit.
                  The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

• Cugel
                    Rantosaurus Rex!
                    • Mar 2004

"You must spread contributor points around before giving to SM19 again." Buggerin' hell!

Well, this mock DESERVES a contributor point. Not because of the Broncos pick which seems too logical for Shanahan to actually do it (plus the reports out are that he doesn't think much of Moss), but because of the other picks.

On the whole I can disagree with some points, but well done! My commentary on these picks:

1. Oakland - Jamarcus Russell. Well, if he can do for the raiders what Vince Young did for the Titans, look out! I hope not though. Here's to Randy Moss running over another meter-maid! :wave:

2. Tampa Bay - Calvin Johnson. They insist they aren't trading up but down. Yup! And the Sun's gonna rise in the west tomorrow too!

3. Browns - OT Joe Thomas. I say the pick should be Brady Quinn. The Browns don't agree. Joe Thomas it is.

4. Lions - Gaines Adams? Joe Thomas? No way they can go wrong with either pick and one of them has to fall. Isn't that the genius move of the draft? Putting the "intelligence challenged" Matt Millen in a position where he CAN'T screw up, no matter which choice he makes?

5. Cardinals - OT Levi Brown I have to say that this is too high for Brown, who doesn't appear to be an elite LT prospect. Maybe I'm wrong. If I'm the Cardinals I'd rather trade back out of this spot. Let someone take S LaRon Landry if you don't want him. There are only about 7 elite prospects in this draft, which makes it tough on teams 8-10, because they will have to overpay for one. This creates incentive to move up to get a guy who at least will be worth his Donald Trump-like salary. If the Cards take Brown here someone ought to say "you're fired!"

6. Redskins. Every single mock I've seen has this pick. I don't know how they can be so sure, but count on Snyder to take Levi Brown or something.

7. Vikings. QB Brady Quinn Problem there is that the Vikings have to be convinced "they was a iDiot" to trade up last year and get Tavaris Jackson. That might not be easy. You're probably wrong here. But, I could be wrong. If Landry is here that might be the pick.

The bigger question is whether GM Brad Childress will become the new Matt Millen? "I thought I saw a Wabbit! I thought I saw a Wabbit! Which way did he go? Which way did he go?" Buggs: "That-a-way!"

8. Falcons. S LaRon Landry You sure make it easy on the Falcons don't you? Sure, if he's here! But the harder question is what if he's not? Jamaal Anderson? Willis? Levi Brown? Adam Carriker?

9. Dolphins. CB Leon Hall. Here's where Levi Brown should probably go. If he's not here, then DL Okoye, Carriker, Anderson? Leon Hall would make about as much sense as anything though.

10. Houston. RB Adrian Peterson With Peterson's injury, this makes a lot more sense than it did a week ago to project him to the Browns.

11. S.F. DE Adam Carriker. The entire world knows this pick. They might as well announce it now. Now he'll dissapear into the 3-4 and never be heard from again. Oh, well.

12. Buffalo. LB Patrick Willis. Another of the worst secrets in the universe. How do these teams do it? That Bush's next speech will mention "9-11" is less predictable than the Bills taking Willis at this point.

13. Rams. Jamaal Anderson. I'd bet they're as happy as a clam in butter if he fell to them. They're probably right.

14. Panthers. TE Greg Olson. I've certainly seen enough mocks to say this. Whether that's anything more than herd instinct remains to be seen. A LB? Timmons? Jon Beason? Maybe everybody has seen more Florida games than other schools, but how could that hurt his chances?

15. Steelers. CB Darrelle Revis. This used to be another obvious pick -- DE Moss. If Carriker or Anderson fell, they could be the picks too. We soon see whether Pittsburgh would pass on Moss.

16. Packers RB Marshawn Lynch Hey! Way to buck the consensus here! (kidding) Apparently another blabber-mouthed team that makes sure that everybody gets a press-release about who they are going to pick!

17. Jacksonville. S Reggie Nelson. Another case where ABSOLUTELY EVERYBODY has Nelson here. I think Ted Ginn makes more sense, but what do I know? Well, I know that Reggie Williams and Matt Jones sure aren't doing the job so far! As Abraham Lincoln said: "Keep switching mules in mid-stream until you find one who won't founder." Who am I to dis Abraham Lincoln?

18. Bengals. DT Alan Branch. Well, you're bound to be right about Branch sometime. He can't fall forever! If the Jagwads don't take Ginn, I'd say he could wind up here. Their WRs aren't exactly elite.

19. Titans. Ted Ginn. Nelson, Branch, Ginn. Those players stack up about right here. One of the three is likely, depending on who's available.

20. Giants. CB Chris Houston. They better stop Eli Manning from getting beat up or it's going to be a really short ride! That would mean Joe Staley. You could be right though, since they need a CB as well. But, they need a LB too and Paul Posluszny will be available here.

21. Broncos. DE Jarvis Moss. I hope Moss is on the board here so we can see if Shanahan is just DETERMINED To avoid taking a DL in the first round or not. I wouldn't hate Joe Staley with this pick, but a LB? NO! However, Anderson and Adams, Carriker and Okoye will be gone. Alan Branch might not inspire Shanny, even before his injury. That doesn't leave much DL talent. Spencer or Moss? Or is either a reach here?

Only 2 more days and we'll know the answers!
                    Last edited by Cugel; 04-26-2007, 04:15 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• GridironChamp
                      Pioli's right hand man
                      • Apr 2005

You forgot one form of documentation: me. And, so far, in all our discussions about
                      Henry, you have been wrong, and I have been right. You see, as I have conveyed to
                      ground too many times. However, never did he lack the physical tools in college,
                      him, anyway.

potential star. He definitely would be a project for a couple years or so, but that is
                      no problem with Travis Henry now there. The difference is, I believe Chris could

And I am not talking about another Willie Parker. I am talking about someone with

-----
                      Chris Henry = Straight up BEAST.
                      Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

• Broncosinindy
                        Thunder God
                        • Mar 2004

him, anyway.

-----
                        maybe you should tell him that even the great terrell davis was 2nd on the depth chart and not a great college back but hit the nfl running. man after watching davis. sounds like henery has all the intangables. give up a pick for hiim i say
                        The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                        While he sits by his hearth at home.
                        Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                        That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

• Broncosinindy
                          Thunder God
                          • Mar 2004

[QUOTE=Dream My draft spectrum is much broader than that, and I simply don't have the time to argue with people who think they're right about everything, especially one player in particular.

\.[/QUOTE]oh i am sorry dream were you saying something ... oh wait look at your avatar
                          The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                          While he sits by his hearth at home.
                          Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                          That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

• topscribe
                            RIP BFC, D-Will, Damien
                            • Apr 2005

You could say that for every prospect coming into the NFL Draft that has good measurables or had any sort of success in college. You missed the Willie Parker comparison big time. If you don't know what I meant, then I guess I really have no need to explain. Since I'm certain your knowledge of the draft is less than mine, I'm really not surprised. Go figure.

I haven't been wrong about Henry either. I expected him to work out good, and in all fairness, he didn't run 4.3. He was officially clocked in at a 4.4; which is still exceptional. The reality is, I don't really give much thought into posts or people who have to pick and choose about one player. My draft spectrum is much broader than that, and I simply don't have the time to argue with people who think they're right about everything, especially one player in particular.

Every year, players who work out well get taken higher than they should, and more often than not - they are out of the NFL within a few years. I don't expect Chris Henry to be an exception to this rule.

Until Chris Henry plays a down in the NFL, he cannot prove anyone right or anyone wrong. Of course it's possible he can be good, but that's just stating the obvious. It's like saying if you eat food, you're going to poop it out. So much for bold moves, heh. I mean, what are you trying to attempt with that claim? Anything? Stating the obvious?

Hey, here's a new one from me. Sidney Rice could be a great player in the NFL.

See, I can do it too, everyone can do it!

You talking about Chris Henry would be like me talking about Craig Dahl, and where I'm impressed by Dahl, I feel no need to speak up about him. I'll let his play on the field, and what he's done in college do that. Sadly enough, there's not one soul out there who can "pimp" what Henry did in college, because in short - he didn't do jack.

It'll be interesting to see where Tarjane goes in the draft though. I can only hope it's not Denver. Far too many needs to waste a first day selection on a back who can best be described as a project.

Maybe you can get back to me on this in oh, maybe three years - if I'm still alive. Until then, this book is cloooooooooosed.
                            You don't feel like talking about Dahl. I feel like talking about Henry. So what? Your
                            arrogance just underwhelms me here. So I don't know as much about the draft
                            as you. So what? I know one hell of a lot more about Henry than you. And this all
                            started with my pointing out that a player named Chris Henry MIGHT be a find in
                            the NFL. And you did NOT make it known that you expected Henry to have good
                            workouts. You even doubted that he could run less than 4.5. Remember? So his
                            official time was 4.4, and just before that it was all over the news that he had run
                            a 4.37.

I don't know whether you or I will be alive in three years, but you weren't alive
                            when I was rooting for the Green Bay Packers, when Jerry Kramer and Forrest
                            Gregg threw the block for Bart Starr in his sneak for the winning touchdown in
                            their NFL championship game against the Dallas Cowboys.

I hope the book is closed in your case. You claim Henry "didn't do jack" in college.
                            I claim you don't know jack about Henry. So if I happen to like him, allow me to like
                            him . . . on second thought, you cannot disallow it. I was only throwing out a little
                            light jab at you. I didn't think you would come back with all your arrogance. Sorry
                            I did that. I won't make the mistake of trying to use any sense of humor with you
                            again.

-----

Comment

• dare2bme
                              Back to Natalie...
                              • Apr 2006

Since I'm certain your knowledge of the draft is less than mine, I'm really not surprised. Go figure.

Pot, meet Kettle. I'm sure you'll get along great!

Comment

Working...
                              X