Turner (RFA) signs his tender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turner (RFA) signs his tender

turner signed his 2.35 tender today so that's the first step in a possible draft day trade.

he's either going to be moved on draft day or be a charger for the 07 season then make a nice fat contract somewhere else in 08 (barring injury in 07)
    sigpic

Originally posted by jcdavey
    turner signed his 2.35 tender today so that's the first step in a possible draft day trade.

he's either going to be moved on draft day or be a charger for the 07 season then make a nice fat contract somewhere else in 08 (barring injury in 07)
    We got Henry, so I'm ok with that. But you guys have a great backfield.

Comment

Im surprised no one targed Turner this season... Some RB hopefull team just made
      a big mistake.
      Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

i can't wait to see where he starts in 08, the guy is exciting to watch, his broken tackles led the nfl last year i think, and he only had 80 carries , it was pretty insane.

he's a beast and he's going to make some team very happy if he's dealt on draft day i believe, hope it's not an afc team that's all i can say, but i'll be wasting a 1st round fantasy pick on him, i think he's the next big thing.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GridironChamp
          Im surprised no one targed Turner this season... Some RB hopefull team just made
          a big mistake.
          Well Buffalo and Tennessee did both target him, but the Bolts are apparently asking quite a bit for him. Teams arent quite sold on giving up a 1st or 2nd round pick for a player that has never carried a full workload (see Lamont Jordan).

My 2007 Adopt a Broncos are Brandon Marshall and Erica Weston

Comment

i can't wait to see where he starts in 08, the guy is exciting to watch, his broken tackles led the nfl last year i think, and he only had 80 carries , it was pretty insane.

he's a beast and he's going to make some team very happy if he's dealt on draft day i believe, hope it's not an afc team that's all i can say, but i'll be wasting a 1st round fantasy pick on him, i think he's the next big thing.
            I would think runners like LJ, Jackson, Gore, ect... probably had more broken tackles...

But broken tackles per carry he might have the most.
            Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Reinfeldt said the team is still interested in acquiring Chargers running back Michael Turner in a trade.

Reinfeldt said conversations with Turner’s agent, Bus Cook, are at a point where a contract agreement could be reached pretty quickly as long as the Titans and Chargers are able to agree on compensation.

But the Chargers are believed to still be asking for a first-round pick for Turner, and the Titans won’t give up that much.

“If the question is from a timely standpoint, 'Could something be done (with the contract),' ’’ Reinfeldt said. “I think something could be done if it all fell into place.’’
              sigpic

Comment

http://www.fflivewire.com/Article.as...262007ywq487wr

Restricted free agent Michael Turner has signed his one-year tender with the San Diego Chargers.

Tendered at a first- and third-round level, guaranteeing his salary at $2.35 million for 2007, Michael Turner has signed the deal.

He is no longer allowed to negotiate with other teams, but the Chargers could still swing a trade that ships him out of town - now that he is signed. If they are unable to trade him, Turner will remain in San Diego this year and become an unrestricted free agent in 2008.

"Before a player can be traded he actually needs to be signed," Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt said during a press conference today."You cannot trade a player who's not signed."

Turner visited Tennessee and Buffalo earlier this month, but a deal hinges upon either team surrendering a first round pick in this or next year's NFL Draft.

Turner, the backup to LaDainian Tomlinson, ran for 502 yards on 80 carries last season for a healthy 6.3 average. He had seven runs of over 20 yards and is seen as a sure-fired starter by many teams, the Chargers included.

Whether he is still with the team to play out his one-year deal will depend on the next two days.
                http://www.fflivewire.com/Article.as...62007olg6320lg

Could Michael Turner be on the move?

Turner took what could be a necessary first step toward facilitating any potential trade by signing his one-year, $2.35 million tender offer on Thursday.

By NFL rules, only players who are officially under contract can be traded.

Turner's agent Bus Cook confirmed to The City Paper that Turner had signed the tender, but declined to say if that meant Turner would be moved in a deal revolving around this weekend's draft.

The Tennessee Titans are one of the teams interesting in acquiring the running back, and could even be the frontrunner, though the Buffalo Bills are still believed to be in the running for Turner as well.
                Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt was asked about making a trade for Turner during Thursday's meeting with the local media to discuss the draft.

"Before a player can be traded he actually needs to be signed," Reinfeldt said. "With Turner he will need to sign a contract as a restricted free agent (with San Diego). � But you cannot trade a player who's not signed."

Asked as to whether he would have to have a long-term deal with Turner in place to pull the trigger on any deal, Reinfeldt said, "In theory as long as the player has signed a contract with the existing team and you have an understanding with the agent on what the deal is going to be then teams go ahead and make the trade."

Reinfeldt said he has had some conversations with Cook and that from a timing standpoint it was not out of the realm of possibility.

"From a timing standpoint, I think something can be done if it all fell into place," Reinfeldt said.
                Cook, who was in New York with top prospect Calvin Johnson, when asked Thursday about Turner's status said, "I'm not sure what's going on."
                that agent of his is going to be alot richer soon, he's also CJ's agent, that's gotta be nice!
                sigpic

Comment

I think it would be hard to evaluate Turner as a potential starter. Did he look great last year? Yes, in the carries he had. But part of it is the system -- just like the Broncos, the Chargers have a system that makes their RB's succeed. Pull him out of that system, put him behind a shoddy line, does he still excel, or does he look mediocre like some of Denver's backs in other systems?

Add on the fact that the Bolts want a first (and early reports from a month or so back were a second as well), its questionable. Especially with talks of LJ being out there as well. Makes me realise how crazy the offseason RB shuffle has been, though. I'm glad the Broncs were able to pick up ours early on in the dance.

We'll see. In the end, I know the Broncos won't be getting him one way or the other. If the Chargers could pull a coup and get a high first round value for him, it would be scary for our division.
                  Always a Broncos fan.

Comment

just saw this posted at my board -
                    John Clayton just said on ESPN that the Chargers have an offer on the table for a 2008 1st round pick. He doesn't know the team, but they have an offer that they are contemplating right now. He didn't mention about a pick in addition to that 1st.
                    sigpic

Comment

just saw this posted at my board -
                      Someone offered a 2008 1st round pick...my guess is, there is another pick coming in this draft, most likely a 3rd round...

That would give San Diego, 5 first day picks for the 2007 draft and (2) 1st round picks in 2008.

Wow...

Comment

Originally posted by target.practice
                        Someone offered a 2008 1st round pick...my guess is, there is another pick coming in this draft, most likely a 3rd round...

That would give San Diego, 5 first day picks for the 2007 draft and (2) 1st round picks in 2008.

Wow...
                        if we get a 3rd in 07 and a 1st in 08 for a guy we drafted in the 5th round in 04 , who i legitimately believe is worth a 1st round pick, i'll be extremely happy, but also sad to see him leave.

i don't care if he even went to a rival , i'm going to cheer for this guy to do well, he's just got so much potential it's scary.
                        sigpic

Comment

if we get a 3rd in 07 and a 1st in 08 for a guy we drafted in the 5th round in 04 , who i legitimately believe is worth a 1st round pick, i'll be extremely happy, but also sad to see him leave.

i don't care if he even went to a rival , i'm going to cheer for this guy to do well, he's just got so much potential it's scary.
                          I agree. I see Turner as a legitimate #1 RB who will make waves with his capabilities. Speedy, powerful, and excellent blocker. His only drawback is he has been behind an excellent OL, has played change of pace guy to one of the best RB's in the league right now, if not THE best, and he hasn't carried a full load, but comparing him to Jordan is a mistake IMO, they are two competely different players.

I really hope no one bites though . I would rather see the Chargers pay him a hefty sum to carry only a few balls all season long, and watch him do the FA walk for nothing, but given his potential I won't be holding my breath. PErsonally I would love to see Turner in DEnver, but that won't happen, especailly with Denver's FA surge this year.

Whoever gets Turner IMO will be getting a good to great RB... the only question is, what type of OL will he be playign behid? I always believe an RB is only as good as his OL allows him to be.....
                          sigpic
                          The only thing that can stop the ninja.
                          Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Comment

Originally posted by BigBroncLove
                            I agree. I see Turner as a legitimate #1 RB who will make waves with his capabilities. Speedy, powerful, and excellent blocker. His only drawback is he has been behind an excellent OL, has played change of pace guy to one of the best RB's in the league right now, if not THE best, and he hasn't carried a full load, but comparing him to Jordan is a mistake IMO, they are two competely different players.

I really hope no one bites though . I would rather see the Chargers pay him a hefty sum to carry only a few balls all season long, and watch him do the FA walk for nothing, but given his potential I won't be holding my breath. PErsonally I would love to see Turner in DEnver, but that won't happen, especailly with Denver's FA surge this year.

Whoever gets Turner IMO will be getting a good to great RB... the only question is, what type of OL will he be playign behid? I always believe an RB is only as good as his OL allows him to be.....
                            even if the trade partner yanks the 08 1st rounder off the table and all we get for turner is a 3rd round comp in 09, i'm good with that for the piece of mind he brings as a backup who i feel could start on many nfl teams.
                            sigpic

Comment

If the trade rumor is true...

Who would you (JC) want to see Turner start for?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X