The End of the CJ Rumors.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The End of the CJ Rumors.....

Mike Shanahan admitted his first wish for the NFL draft was Calvin Johnson.

And for nearly 24 hours in early March, the Broncos coach thought his wish had come true.

It was roughly a week after the NFL combine, which coincided with the start of free agency and the trading period. Shanahan said he had a deal in place for the No. 2 overall draft pick held by the Detroit Lions.

Shanahan didn't divulge his proposal, but an NFL source confirmed the Broncos were willing to surrender their No. 21 overall pick, plus a second and third-round selection from this year's draft, and their first-round pick in 2008.

"We actually had the deal done and the next day they decided they didn't want to do it," Shanahan said today during his predraft news conference at the team's Dove Valley headquarters. "We haven't talked to them since then because we decided we wanted to go in a different direction."

The deal would have been contingent on Oakland boss Al Davis not using his No. 1 overall selection to spite Shanahan by taking Johnson. After the deal fell through, Shanahan said he spent his money elsewhere.

The $43 million in combined guaranteed money the Broncos gave tight end Daniel Graham, running back Travis Henry and cornerback Drè Bly this offseason means the Broncos no longer have the wherewithal to pursue Johnson on Saturday morning when the draft begins.

What, then, will the Broncos do with their draft picks Saturday? Shanahan indicated the team has focused on a couple players and would try to move up from their No. 21 pick if necessary.

Two teams the Broncos could discuss trading with during the draft are the Houston Texans, who have the No. 10 pick and the San Francisco 49ers, who have No. 11. Based on the NFL draft-value chart, to move that high, the Broncos likely would have to give up their No. 21 overall pick plus a second round and third round selection, based on the NFL draft value chart.

Among the players projected to go around the No. 10 pick are 19-year-old defensive tackle Amobi Okoye from Louisville, Mississippi linebacker Patrick Willis, LSU safety LaRon Landry, Penn State offensive tackle Levi Brown, defensive end Jamaal Anderson of Arkansas, Nebraska's Adam Carriker, and Michigan defensive tackle Alan Branch.

If players targeted by the Broncos aren't available, they may move down from No. 21 in hopes of picking up an additional draft choice.

The Broncos enter the draft with picks in the first round, second round and two in the third round, but none in the fourth and fifth rounds.

Given Shanahan's nature for action, the Broncos' most unexpected move Saturday would be to stand pat with their No. 21 pick.

"I'm a risk-taker, there's no question about it," Shanahan said. "I love to gamble. But to me you have to be educated. You can't just be, 'I want to gamble.' You have to really research him and find out what makes him tick."

The Broncos also are likely to offer one of their third-round picks in an attempt to acquire Carolina defensive tackle Kris Jenkins.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5766871

so long CJ now lets get some D, which is what we need in the first place

Comment

awww dang

Well atleast i hope we can get amobi okoye.
      the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

im telling you....its carriker or bust.

jenkins or rogers is a possibility with one of our 3rds. i think it was rumored that the rams gave up their 2nd for jenkins but dont know if this actually happened.

kgb is another possibility. teams are going to be dangling players they want to get rid of tomorrow.
        sigpic

Comment

I thought Kris Jenkins went to St. Louis? Or was that just rumor?

Comment

Finally these rumors have ended.

Now we can start concentrating on how to get Peterson. =P

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Smoke screen.

They'll trade the entire team except for Cutler, Bailey and Walker to get CJ. He'll catch touchdowns, block and rush the passer. It'll be amazing. JC to CJ

<sad>This actually makes me kind of sad.</sad>

Comment

Holy crap! You have an amazing sig!

How did you manage to photoshop that Bailey signature in there? Very impressive...

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie
                  Holy crap! You have an amazing sig!

How did you manage to photoshop that Bailey signature in there? Very impressive...
                  Thanks man. It's not hard I guess...

I do graphic design and web development sooo, yeah...

Comment

Originally posted by // / yardo
                    Thanks man. It's not hard I guess...

I do graphic design and web development sooo, yeah...

Can you help me with one????
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X