how stupid are the lions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how stupid are the lions?

adam schefter just reported on Nfl total access that: assuming the raiders take jemarcus russell, the lions say that calvin johnson is their man...another receiver? how dumb can mat millen be?

also, did you guys think brady quinn will go to the raiders? or will he fall to miami?

Originally posted by BroncoManiac99
    adam schefter just reported on Nfl total access that: assuming the raiders take jemarcus russell, the lions say that calvin johnson is their man...another receiver? how dumb can mat millen be?

also, did you guys think brady quinn will go to the raiders? or will he fall to miami?
    I am not saying who goes where since we won't know until the commissioner makes the announcement. As for the Lions being dumb, none of those receivers are half of what Calvin Johnson is. But who knows, could be another smokescreen.

Comment

Are you crazy? That is a great move. CJ is the best player on the BOARD hands down! It would be an excellent move by the Lions.
      sigpic

Comment

i agree, it would be a great pickup but, they need to fill other holes, i just hope that broncos go DE in the first round. If not then patrick willis thats all

Comment

Was it stupid for the Saints to take Reggie Bush when they had McCallister?

Calvin Johnson is by far the most sure and most talented player in the draft and any team that gets him witnesses an instant improvement.

Despite their bad luck with malcontents Rogers and Mike Williams, getting Johnson to pair with Roy Williams (pro-bowl) and Mike Furrey would be amazing.

I doubt they keep Johnson though, should they select him.

They are more likely to trade their pick to Tampa, or, select Johnson and then entertain Johnson himself for offers.

To select and keep him though, would not be a dumb move though.
          sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
          Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

A few weeks back, one of the Lions coaches leaked that the Lions, even though taking so many WR's at #1 shouldn't and perhaps wouldn't let the past dictate who they pick now. PErsonally I don't see how drafting CJ could be a huge mistake. The man seems to have zero downside IMO....
            sigpic
            The only thing that can stop the ninja.
            Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Comment

The Lions could improve their team much more by trading down and filling holes.

I'm hearing the same things about CJ today that I heard about Keyshawn back in 94 (or whatever year it was).

I think he'll be good, but he won't be the best. Definitely not worth taking over a good deal.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Apparently, someone didn't watch Calvin Johnson last year. This guy is just INSANE. He is EASILY TEN TIMES better than any other receiver in this draft(And WAY better than Keyshawn coming out of college). This guy is not only good for great catches, but great moves after the catch and this is an UNDERSTATEMENT. Screw character(Although I hear his is great), this guy is a FANTASTIC football player who PRODUCES on the football field. Passing on him would make the Lions dumb. Hell, I wouldn't even consider trades for him after taking him. I'd just keep him and never look back.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorcust
                  Was it stupid for the Saints to take Reggie Bush when they had McCallister?

Calvin Johnson is by far the most sure and most talented player in the draft and any team that gets him witnesses an instant improvement.

Despite their bad luck with malcontents Rogers and Mike Williams, getting Johnson to pair with Roy Williams (pro-bowl) and Mike Furrey would be amazing.

I doubt they keep Johnson though, should they select him.

They are more likely to trade their pick to Tampa, or, select Johnson and then entertain Johnson himself for offers.

To select and keep him though, would not be a dumb move though.
                  The Lions won't be improved substantially if Calvin Johnson is the second coming of Jerry Rice!

The desparately need an elite LT (Joe Thomas come on down!). They need a ferocious pass-rushing DE (Hey there Gaines Adams -- put down that QB, wipe the barbeque sauce off him and step away from the buffet!).

IN short they need help almost everywhere on that team outside of Jon Kitna (well they could probably use an upgrade there too, but they have to start somewhere)!

They could trade down to around #4 or #5 and pick up a 2nd round pick (high second round too). Then they could address multiple needs.

This is not a team like the Broncos, Colts, Steelers, Patriots, Chargers, Bears, Seahawks, where one or two elite players are all that stands between them and a championship! This is a team mired in the basement for the better part of two decades!

Then need LOTS of good players not one great one! And by trading down they could actually get 1 great player (Joe Thomas or Gaines Adams), PLUS a very good one at the top of the 2nd round. Add their own picks in and if they drafted right they would be well on their way toward mediocrity and about an 8-8 season!

Aw! Who am I kidding?! They've got Matt Millen making the picks! The man couldn't find his way out of a deli without getting meat sauce on his shirt!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                    The Lions won't be improved substantially if Calvin Johnson is the second coming of Jerry Rice!

The desparately need an elite LT (Joe Thomas come on down!). They need a ferocious pass-rushing DE (Hey there Gaines Adams -- put down that QB, wipe the barbeque sauce off him and step away from the buffet!).

IN short they need help almost everywhere on that team outside of Jon Kitna (well they could probably use an upgrade there too, but they have to start somewhere)!

They could trade down to around #4 or #5 and pick up a 2nd round pick (high second round too). Then they could address multiple needs.

This is not a team like the Broncos, Colts, Steelers, Patriots, Chargers, Bears, Seahawks, where one or two elite players are all that stands between them and a championship! This is a team mired in the basement for the better part of two decades!

Then need LOTS of good players not one great one! And by trading down they could actually get 1 great player (Joe Thomas or Gaines Adams), PLUS a very good one at the top of the 2nd round. Add their own picks in and if they drafted right they would be well on their way toward mediocrity and about an 8-8 season!

Aw! Who am I kidding! They've got Matt Millen making the picks! The man couldn't find his way out of a deli without getting meat sauce on his shirt! :coffee:
                    They don't have a dire need at LT.

Jeff Backus is more than confident.

While Foster obviously isn't amazing, he's an improvement at RT and added some strong guard play this offseason in Edwin Mulitado.

I never said it was the best decision for them, but I couldn't say "you idiots" if they drafted one of the surest talents in the draft, and the best overall player in this draft.

Sure they have other needs, and if they could trade back, they'll only do it if they get an offer worth having.

This includes keeping them in range to get one of the two players you mentioned (Thomas and Adams) while adding a potential high second rounder.

They could burn two second rounders on:

1. QB John Beck (BYU), A signal caller that Mike Martz really fancies.
                    or
                    2. QB Trent Edwards (Stanford)

2. ILB David Harris (Michigan), a defensive leader to anchor the linebacker corp

or

3. Tony Ugoh (Arkansas), if they still want an upgrade at OT and aren't confident in Foster, Ugoh could be a good developmental project while Foster plays out his contract possibly.

or

4. Justin Blalock (Texas) / Ben Grubbs (Auburn): Two decent guards with different strengths, both of which could aid the Lions interior O-line for Tatum Bell/T.J. Duckett and Kevin Jones when he recovers

The only disagreement with them getting CJ is that they have two decent starters in Roy Williams and Mike Furrey.

Mike Martz can really revolutionize that offense with 3 good WR and a competant ground game to take pressure off of Jon Kitna as he develops a young signal-caller.

I understand your point, and while I agree that it isn't their best decision, they were obviously willing to add more WRs as they tried to attain FA Kevin Curtis (now an Eagle), but its not a decision I could crucify them for.

In the crapshoot that the draft is, the more certain a prospect is, in my mind, the more prone I am to take him.
                    sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                    Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

I dunno. CJ reminds me of a much faster, and bigger Marvin Harrison. He can make all the plays, plays extremely smart, and is extremely humble. Imagine Marvin but 30-40 pounds bigger, quite a bit taller, and faster. Or just a better TO without the attitude. Any team could use this guy except for Arizona, Cincinnatti, and Indianapolis.

Comment

I'm looking for the Lions to make a Manning/Rivers type deal if they take Johnson.

If they can't make a deal, they just say that "the deal fell through, and we get stuck with the best player in the draft".

The Lions have the bull by the junk in this draft....Even Millen can't screw the pooch this time!

Comment

I saw the funniest thing today. My friend owns a Brady Quinn ND jersey. The dark blue one. On the font above the number he put on a wide piece of white tape (not the see through kind) and wrote with thick sharpie in big bold letters, LIONS.

Thought that was funny.

Comment

they are saying this so the Bucs will trade them picks and then they can get Adams at 4 and gain a couple picks later on. They should take CJ if they dont trade out anyways he is a freak.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117
                              I dunno. CJ reminds me of a much faster, and bigger Marvin Harrison. He can make all the plays, plays extremely smart, and is extremely humble. Imagine Marvin but 30-40 pounds bigger, quite a bit taller, and faster. Or just a better TO without the attitude. Any team could use this guy except for Arizona, Cincinnatti, and Indianapolis.

Except that Johnson doesn't find the nearest patch of grass to hit once he makes a catch.....I get torched everytime I say this but, Marvin Harrison is a *****!

Imagine a 6-5/239lb Marvin Harrison without the vaginosis!

Comment

Working...
                              X