No announcement yet.

ESPN's Mel Kiper draft grades.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks TU_HurricaneDB for all the effort in posting these; much, much appreciated.

Comment

San Diego gets a C ... has AJ Smith finally had a bad draft?

I do agree with the other comments, Kiper's comments often do not match the grades he gives.

Comment

Originally posted by TU_HurricaneDB
        Oakland Raiders: GRADE C+
        JaMarcus Russell was a no-brainer because he has the chance to be a franchise quarterback. The Raiders have been trying for years to draft a tight end, and they took Zach Miller in the second round. Defensive end Quentin Moses had a first-round grade entering 2006, but he had an average senior season. Personally, I would have taken Moses' teammate Charles Johnson, but Moses does have talent. Left tackle Mario Henderson has tremendous physical ability but needs to put it all together on the field. I really like the picks of Johnnie Lee Higgins and running back Michael Bush. Higgins has very good hands as a wide receiver and also will help out in the return game. As for Bush, if he's healthy, the Raiders got a first-round pick in the fourth round. Jay Richardson was an average defensive end at Ohio State; safety Eric Frampton was a solid fifth-round pick out of Washington State; and Orenthal O'Neal is a good lead blocker for a fullback.

Philadelphia Eagles: GRADE: C-
        First, they made a trade with the Cowboys, who used the pick on defensive end Anthony Spencer. Then, the Eagles used the 36th overall pick (their first pick in the draft) on Houston QB Kevin Kolb when QBs Drew Stanton, John Beck and Trent Edwards were all still on the board. I thought Kolb was a reach because he reminds me of Kyle Boller. Defensive end Victor Abiamiri was a good pick in the second round, and linebacker Stewart Bradley was a decent choice in the third round. Running back Tony Hunt was a good third-round pick; C.J. Gaddis, I thought, would have been a priority free agent instead of a fifth-rounder; Brent Celek is an average tight end prospect; and cornerback Rashad Barksdale will battle for roster spot.

Pittsburgh Steelers: GRADE: B
        For the 3-4 defense, Lawrence Timmons was a good pick in the first round and using their second-round choice on LaMarr Woodley will give the Steelers some versatility in that Woodley could play as a defensive end in four-man fronts. I'm not sure how effective he can be as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, but Woodley is a true playmaker on the field. Tight end Matt Spaeth is an excellent blocker and will complement Heath Miller and Jerame Tuman. I liked the fourth-round pick on Daniel Sepulveda, a left-footed punter with a big leg; defensive tackle Ryan McBean has a ton of talent but has to get more consistent; William Gay has a chance to be a good cornerback who can help in nickel or dime packages; and Dallas Baker was a good seventh-round pick because he has good height (6-3) and very long arms.

St. Louis Rams: GRADE: C+
        A very good player and a solid first-round pick, Adam Carriker will be used more as a defensive tackle by the Rams. I really like the pick of Brian Leonard in the second round because he gives St. Louis options on offense. He can spell Steven Jackson at running back, play fullback when necessary, and also be used as a move tight end or H-back. Former wide receiver Jonathan Wade is still raw as a cornerback but was a decent third-round pick; center Dustin Fry is an overachiever; and Cliff Ryan should be able to contribute along the defensive line.

San Diego Chargers: GRADE: C
        Wide receiver Craig Davis was a slight reach in the first round, but he does fill a major need. The Chargers also gave up a lot to get safety Eric Weddle in the second round; however, like Davis, Weddle fills a major need and was one of smarter and more versatile players in the draft. Anthony Waters is coming off a torn ACL, so if he can play like he did in 2005, he would be a good value pick. Tight end Scott Chandler is a good pass catcher but a marginal blocker, and WR Legedu Naanee has long-range potential.

San Francisco 49ers: GRADE: B+
        After the 49ers took a tackling machine in linebacker Patrick Willis with the 11th pick, I liked seeing them move back into the first round (trading for New England's second first-round pick) and get Joe Staley, one of the best offensive tackles in the draft. QB Alex Smith needs someone who's going to protect his blind side, and Staley could do that for years to come. Jason Hill has a lot of speed and was a decent third-round pick. Defensive end Ray McDonald fits Mike Nolan's 3-4 defense; Jay Moore is an intense, hardworking outside linebacker; Dashon Goldson is more of a backup cornerback; Joe Cohen is a backup defensive tackle; cornerback Tarell Brown is a nice cornerback if he stays focused; and running back Thomas Clayton will be a very good backup to Frank Gore.

Seattle Seahawks: GRADE: C
        The Seahawks didn't have a pick in the first round, but they were able to get cornerback Josh Wilson in the second round and he could be a factor in Seattle's secondary in 2007 and also help in the return game. Brandon Mebane will be good rotation defensive tackle. The same goes for Baraka Atkins at defensive end. Mansfield Wrotto (4th round) went a little high for a player I think will be a backup; Will Herring will be a backup linebacker and solid performer on special teams; WR Courtney Taylor does not have a lot of speed but is more of a possession receiver and should make the team as a fourth or fifth wide receiver; and wide receiver Jordan Kent, son of Oregon basketball coach Ernie Kent, also has some ability.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: GRADE: C
        The Bucs wanted wide receiver Calvin Johnson, but they weren't willing to give up enough to get the best player in the draft. Gaines Adams is similar to Simeon Rice, but he needs to do a better job against the run. Arron Sears is a versatile guard and was a solid second-round choice. Safety Sabby Piscitelli doesn't play as fast he does in workouts, but in Tampa Bay's defensive structure, there's a chance he could end up starting in 2007. You could argue Quincy Black was the fastest and most athletic linebacker in the draft, but he's not really instinctive. Tanard Jackson is an aggressive cornerback who could move inside to safety; defensive lineman Greg Peterson is a good developmental lineman; linebacker Adam Hayward is a marginal prospect; and offensive tackle Chris Denman is underrated and an overachiever and I like his chances of making the team.

Tennessee Titans: GRADE: C-
        Vince Young needed help at wide receiver, and the Titans had Robert Meachem staring right at them. Michael Griffin is a nice safety, but he was a luxury pick and the Titans couldn't afford to take a safety when they needed help at other positions. The Titans also needed a running back, but Chris Henry wasn't productive in the Pac-10, so I'm not sold on taking him in the second round. Wide receivers Paul Williams, Chris Davis and Joel Filani are good but not great. Tennessee could have done a better job of helping the offense around Young. Griffin is a tough, hard-hitting safety and will be a great special-teams player.

Washington Redskins: GRADE: C-
        Washington had only one pick in the first four rounds and made the most of it, getting LaRon Landry. (You could argue Landry was the best defensive player in the draft). Drafting Landry will allow Sean Taylor to play center field and roam the middle of the field. Landry will be in the box, and that will negate his weakness, which is judging the deep ball. In the fifth round, the Redskins took an average linebacker in Dallas Sartz; linebacker HB Blades was a decent sixth-round pick although a bit undersized; and QB Jordan Palmer never really emerged as a potential starter.
        He was harsh this year...

Comment

Originally posted by Joshecalpoly
          is that a retoracle question or do u really not know
          He doesnt like Kiper. Neither do I, or alot of people here

My 2007 Adopt a Broncos are Brandon Marshall and Erica Weston

Comment

ESPN magazine usually has a 90% success rate when it comes to Off-Season ratings so even though i dont always agree with mel kiper i at least half to respect his opinion because hes not wrong that often
            2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

I thought the Bucs had one of the better drafts, I was so upset when they nabbed piscatelli and Black in a span of like 5 picks because those were the next two guys I had on my board for Denver to pick. When they picked Jackson I thought it was a good value pick but with the earlier selection of Piscatelli it didn't make sense to me, they don't compliment eachother they are very similar but I don't think they are going to move Jackson to safety like most people projectedand he might turn out to be a decent nickel like Sam Brandon is for us. They landed three potetential immediate starters for thier defense with thier first picks

Comment

Kiper is all right. Beats the stuffings out of Prisco and Kiszla.

Nonetheless, I thought some of his grades were inconsistent. For instance, giving
                identical grades to Denver and NE: When you compare the respective selections,
                Denver wins hands down, Moss notwithstanding. Denver not only filled their needs,
                but did it with some of the top athletes on the board. (You think I would not rather
                take Thomas than Moss with my fourth?) NE's sole selection of the first day was a
                safety in question . . . not because he happened to take a little toke, but because he
                did not perform well in his senior year. I would not spend a 1st on a player who did
                not have a good senior year.

There are other examples, too. I'm not picking on NE. That is just the one that stood out.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                  Kiper is all right. Beats the stuffings out of Prisco and Kiszla.

Nonetheless, I thought some of his grades were inconsistent. For instance, giving
                  identical grades to Denver and NE: When you compare the respective selections,
                  Denver wins hands down, Moss notwithstanding. Denver not only filled their needs,
                  but did it with some of the top athletes on the board. (You think I would not rather
                  take Thomas than Moss with my fourth?) NE's sole selection of the first day was a
                  safety in question . . . not because he happened to take a little toke, but because he
                  did not perform well in his senior year. I would not spend a 1st on a player who did
                  not have a good senior year.

There are other examples, too. I'm not picking on NE. That is just the one that stood out.

-----
                  If nothing else this first time I can remember where Kiper has been real positive about our draft picks.
                  John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Working...
                  X