No announcement yet.

Lincicome on Broncos' draft . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i don't know this linicome but i'm surprised people pay him to write articles for them, he's an idiot.
    Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

Comment

What got me is when Lincicome made the comment that the Broncos had to "get well."

I never knew they were sick.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
        Piss and vinegar.

Yep, I smell ego.

I could not have said that any better.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Emancipator
          He wasted his time writing this article.

I would say he really doesn't understand football.

The part about getting Quinn is laughable .

Denver did an awesome job getting younger, faster, and better on defense with the two bookends and that sink stopper they got in the 4th round. These were excellent picks. I even like our OL we picked up. He needs to work on his skills and he'll do fine for us.

I disagreed up and down the article with this guy. He needs to cover pop warner teams.
          Something else people forget is that Pears will be starting on the right--this 3rd round o-line talent should be better than the undrafted Pears, right?

Linicome is a fool. They're all fools around here lately. Oh Shannahan is so stupid blah blah blah. Regardless of the potential problems of our new d-linemen, they are already better than the Cleveland bunch so great job.

Comment

I just came across this article myself and almost posted it here. Good thing I searched for it first.

Anyway, Linicome is one that wants controversy and negativity to write about. He thrives on it. He's not a fan, so the expectation for him not to be a realist or 'negative' as some call it is unrealistic in of itself. I don't care for his opinions but I almost always read what he says, because he's entertaining.

As far as his Quinn comments...I didn't take them seriously, as I know if the Broncos did draft Quinn, Linicome would have been the first one to comment how the Broncos didn't know what they were doing and Shanahan doesn't think Cutler is the real deal and there were so many other areas of need besides quarterback and blah blah blah, yada yada yada. He has a cynical outlook on life, and his writing should be taken more for entertainment than his actually trying to establish an educated opinion. No one in their right mind would say Denver should have taken Quinn - NO ONE.
            sigpic

Comment

here is SI take on our draft

BRONCOS -- D-
              They traded up and even gave away a No. 3 next year to get DT Marcus Thomas, and this is a guy who ... let's see, I've used "has character issues" already. How about, "carries heavy baggage?" Kicked off his Florida team not once, but twice -- a problem child to be sure. Mike Shanahan says that he has checked him out thoroughly and he feels that in the right environment he'll be just fine. Seems that I heard exactly the same thing when he drafted Maurice Clarett in the third round. Yeah, Thomas can play all right, and so can speed rusher Jarvis Moss, the No. 1 draft. He was only suspended once. Hardly even worth mentioning.

Perhaps lincome maybe on to something.

Comment

Originally posted by JRWIZ
                BRONCOS -- D-
                They traded up and even gave away a No. 3 next year to get DT Marcus Thomas, and this is a guy who ... let's see, I've used "has character issues" already. How about, "carries heavy baggage?" Kicked off his Florida team not once, but twice -- a problem child to be sure. Mike Shanahan says that he has checked him out thoroughly and he feels that in the right environment he'll be just fine. Seems that I heard exactly the same thing when he drafted Maurice Clarett in the third round. Yeah, Thomas can play all right, and so can speed rusher Jarvis Moss, the No. 1 draft. He was only suspended once. Hardly even worth mentioning.

I have found a lot of reasons to agree with you, JR. I agree with you here, too.

Lincicome is definitely on something.

Oh wait . . .

-----

Comment

My gosh. It doesnt take a genious to see that we NEEDED d-line help, more so than any other position by far. All we heard about was that the broncos needed a pass rush and critisizm that we still had the "Browncos." We finally address it and what happens? Analysts are like, " Oh my gosh, slight character issues because of smoking marijuana ONCE! They fail, even if it was there biggest need!"

In fact, going to my first point, it takes a retard to think we didnt help ourselves with this draft.
                  Last edited by Broncosfreak_56; 05-01-2007, 04:13 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Its simple. We needed a top DT....not any DT.....one with a high grade.

None were available when we picked. He was still there the second day. So;

1. Take him, a potential W. Sapp type w/ possible baggage...... or;

2. Some other DT that might have a chance of being another D. Veal/M. Myers

The first choice is no more risk than the second with far more chance of great reward.

Thats how I see it anyway.
                    sigpic

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_1804775

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                      I have found a lot of reasons to agree with you, JR. I agree with you here, too.

Lincicome is definitely on something.

Oh wait . . .

-----
                      You must spread some Contributor Status around before giving it to topscribe again.
                      sigpic

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_1804775

Comment

Originally posted by JRWIZ
                        BRONCOS -- D-

Come on, JR, all you're doing is focusing on the negative. You know there is always a critic but look at the overall reviews:

We scoured the Net for grades across many top NFL sites. Which teams excelled?

Code:
                        CBSSportsline.com's	***	B
                        Pete Prisco	***

FoxSports.com's	***	D
                        John Czarnecki	***

ESPN.com's	***	B-
                        Mel Kiper Jr.	***

NBCSports.com's	***	B-
                        Tom Curran	***

SI.com's   	***	D-
                        Paul Zimmerman	***

ESPN.com's	***	B
                        SportsNation	***

SportingNews.com's	***	A-
                        War Room Scouts	***

USAToday.com's	***	C
                        Tom Weir  	***

Yahoo.com's	***	B-
                        Charles Robinson	***

The Broncos' draft is one of the more debatable ones simply because of the "character issues" people keep blabbing about. People aren't really questioning the talent as much as they are the risk factor. Zimmerman thinks we took too big a risk on character but never even mentioned the guys' talent, which is generally not in question.

Take away the "character issues" and people would almost universally be acclaiming our draft. As it is, we know there's an element of risk to a couple of our picks. The negative people will be negative about the possibilities, and vice versa for the positive ones. But overall the "analysts" give us pretty good marks despite the risks.

And in the end, none of the opinions matter. All that matters is what happens over the next few years on the field.
                        "You can't take the sky from me..."
                        ------
                        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

[QUOTE=topscribe].

(I made a quick check. If this has been posted elsewhere, please let me know.)

Lincicome: Broncos' draft won't fix their many woes

April 29, 2007
                          Irrelevance could well be the eventual result of the Broncos taking their slurp at the weekend's talent trough, adding what they need while changing nothing.

The Broncos were not going to get well at the draft, certainly not by adding question marks on the defensive line, taking on the University of Florida's misbehavers rather than assuming failures from Cleveland.

My re-inspection of the roster reveals that defensive tackle Gerard Warren is indeed still a Bronco, something that will be taken on faith until he plays better, and adding Gators Jarvis Moss and Marcus Thomas and Texas' Tim Crowder only crowds the general patchiness of an unreliable defensive line.

Considering that the Broncos needed to trade up four spots and give away two picks for the uncertainty of Moss and had a whole night to sleep on the risk that is Thomas, before dismissing three draft choices to get him, it must be assumed that some thought has been given to the venture.

Essentially, then, the Broncos gave away five choices for two maybes, one of whom, Thomas, had more red flags than a May Day parade.

Still, by the time the Broncos had picked, there had been four other defensive linemen chosen, while the same number went before Crowder and another 13 before Thomas.

What this means is, the Broncos were scraping all sides of the barrel, but mostly the middle and the bottom.

In the meantime, the saga of Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn played out like some sort of shotgun wedding where the groom kept shifting his feet, waiting for a bride who was late.

Given the chance at Quinn, the Broncos passed, along with 21 others, because Jay Cutler is the quarterback of the future. Still, wouldn't it have been interesting to watch Cutler squirm as Jake Plummer did when the Broncos tossed the pebble in the pond that became a lost season by picking a QB?

And, considering that all those defensive linemen were still to be summoned later, wouldn't it have been worth creating the kind of quarterback competition that Mike Shanahan so loudly endorsed last year?

Or, to suggest another road not taken, there was another Moss to be had, Randy Moss, available for pocket change, who is now a Patriot instead of a Raider. This is not necessarily good for the Broncos in any case, because Moss was a sulking liability each time I saw the Broncos play the Raiders.

It was left then for other teams to make noise, such as could be had in a draft where the overwhelming Heisman Trophy winner, Troy Smith of Ohio State, was the 174th player taken and the nearly anonymous JaMarcus Russell (a Heisman nobody)was deemed the prize of prizes.

The Broncos are in such flux that nothing out of this draft encourages enthusiasm. This is mostly tuck pointing and reroofing, and not with first-rate supplies.

Jarvis Moss is, to echo the positives, a speedy pass rusher, if a bit skinny and a bit raw. He did not start until last season in college, so it is a stretch to assume he will start his first season as a pro. Crowder is similarly a bit light but did start 47 straight games for Texas, a worthy line on his résumé.

As for Thomas, possibly the most talented and certainly the largest of them all, well, for all the chatter about character and personal conduct, he could have been on the NFL poster of commissioner Roger Goodell pointing his finger, saying, "We do not want you."

Thomas and Moss both had disciplinary issues in Gainesville, confessed as pot and hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Shanahan sees what he wants to see in the record of Thomas, considering he was kicked off his college team not a legal matter, rather imagining the 300-pound Thomas getting a legal push in the middle of the line.

After all of this, the Broncos are still in the hands of a semirookie quarterback, the usual apprenticeship being more than the five games that Cutler played (two of which he won). Unless Cutler is something between John Elway and Dan Marino, the learning curve has no place to rest.

Figure in the new running back, the juggled linebacking, the thin receiving, the aging safeties, the uncertain offensive line, but mostly the inevitable shakiness of Cutler, and the Broncos could have had the first 10 picks in the draft without fixing everything that is wrong.

Until Cutler is better seasoned, the defense is of a consistent competence and the Broncos fall into a more painless schedule, good intentions will have to do.

You must be afflicted with the same brain disease that Dan (BIG BUCKS / NO CLUE) Snyder has. Just add high priced "Talent" - Mix it all together - and BEHOLD a championship team. It takes chemistry and playuers who undertand the team concept - Not just $$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                            Come on, JR, all you're doing is focusing on the negative. You know there is always a critic but look at the overall reviews:

We scoured the Net for grades across many top NFL sites. Which teams excelled?

Code:
                            CBSSportsline.com's	***	B
                            Pete Prisco	***

FoxSports.com's	***	D
                            John Czarnecki	***

ESPN.com's	***	B-
                            Mel Kiper Jr.	***

NBCSports.com's	***	B-
                            Tom Curran	***

SI.com's   	***	D-
                            Paul Zimmerman	***

ESPN.com's	***	B
                            SportsNation	***

SportingNews.com's	***	A-
                            War Room Scouts	***

USAToday.com's	***	C
                            Tom Weir  	***

Yahoo.com's	***	B-
                            Charles Robinson	***

The Broncos' draft is one of the more debatable ones simply because of the "character issues" people keep blabbing about. People aren't really questioning the talent as much as they are the risk factor. Zimmerman thinks we took too big a risk on character but never even mentioned the guys' talent, which is generally not in question.

Take away the "character issues" and people would almost universally be acclaiming our draft. As it is, we know there's an element of risk to a couple of our picks. The negative people will be negative about the possibilities, and vice versa for the positive ones. But overall the "analysts" give us pretty good marks despite the risks.

And in the end, none of the opinions matter. All that matters is what happens over the next few years on the field.
                            Take away the character issues especially with Thomas and I don't think Shanahan would had a chance to draft him.

We had the same thing happen last year as well.
                            John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                              Take away the character issues especially with Thomas and I don't think Shanahan would had a chance to draft him.

We had the same thing happen last year as well.
                              Nope, you're right about that. But that's why it was a calculated risk. I was referring to how the only real critique out there concerning the Broncos' draft is due to character issues, not talent.

If the guys stay clean then we likely killed in this draft. If the problems recur then we blew it. But nobody can see the future and how this will all play out so we get a wide range of draft grades. No big whoop.
                              "You can't take the sky from me..."
                              ------
                              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                                Nope, you're right about that. But that's why it was a calculated risk. I was referring to how the only real critique out there concerning the Broncos' draft is due to character issues, not talent.

If the guys stay clean then we likely killed in this draft. If the problems recur then we blew it. But nobody can see the future and how this will all play out so we get a wide range of draft grades. No big whoop.
                                Exactly, why get upset about what this guy said. You listed in another thread several other pundits that gave us very good grades. If I remember correctly, most of them were B/B- with one A- and one C.
                                John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Working...
                                X