Lincicome on Broncos' draft . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Javalon
    Come on, JR, all you're doing is focusing on the negative. You know there is always a critic but look at the overall reviews:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sport...ory?id=2854030

Code:
    CBSSportsline.com's	***	B
    Pete Prisco	***

FoxSports.com's	***	D
    John Czarnecki	***

ESPN.com's	***	B-
    Mel Kiper Jr.	***

NBCSports.com's	***	B-
    Tom Curran	***

SI.com's   	***	D-
    Paul Zimmerman	***

ESPN.com's	***	B
    SportsNation	***

SportingNews.com's	***	A-
    War Room Scouts	***

USAToday.com's	***	C
    Tom Weir  	***

Yahoo.com's	***	B-
    Charles Robinson	***

The Broncos' draft is one of the more debatable ones simply because of the "character issues" people keep blabbing about. People aren't really questioning the talent as much as they are the risk factor. Zimmerman thinks we took too big a risk on character but never even mentioned the guys' talent, which is generally not in question.

Take away the "character issues" and people would almost universally be acclaiming our draft. As it is, we know there's an element of risk to a couple of our picks. The negative people will be negative about the possibilities, and vice versa for the positive ones. But overall the "analysts" give us pretty good marks despite the risks.

And in the end, none of the opinions matter. All that matters is what happens over the next few years on the field.
    PWNED!!
    sigpic

Comment

is that guy one of your local writers? it sounds like jake plummers brother wrote that, damn.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey
        is that guy one of your local writers? it sounds like jake plummers brother wrote that, damn.

Yes he's writer for the Rocky Mountain News.
        John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
          Come on, JR, all you're doing is focusing on the negative. You know there is always a critic but look at the overall reviews:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sport...ory?id=2854030

Code:
          CBSSportsline.com's	***	B
          Pete Prisco	***

FoxSports.com's	***	D
          John Czarnecki	***

ESPN.com's	***	B-
          Mel Kiper Jr.	***

NBCSports.com's	***	B-
          Tom Curran	***

SI.com's   	***	D-
          Paul Zimmerman	***

ESPN.com's	***	B
          SportsNation	***

SportingNews.com's	***	A-
          War Room Scouts	***

USAToday.com's	***	C
          Tom Weir  	***

Yahoo.com's	***	B-
          Charles Robinson	***

The Broncos' draft is one of the more debatable ones simply because of the "character issues" people keep blabbing about. People aren't really questioning the talent as much as they are the risk factor. Zimmerman thinks we took too big a risk on character but never even mentioned the guys' talent, which is generally not in question.

Take away the "character issues" and people would almost universally be acclaiming our draft. As it is, we know there's an element of risk to a couple of our picks. The negative people will be negative about the possibilities, and vice versa for the positive ones. But overall the "analysts" give us pretty good marks despite the risks.

And in the end, none of the opinions matter. All that matters is what happens over the next few years on the field.

Thanks for the other grades I had not had a chance to see them while not all on the moon. Your correct, I have been trying to do is bring some balance to the zealots that can never see the potential DOWNSIDE to Mikey's drafting.

Mainly because there is hype again in the players that just were drafted or traded for. They do not notice that in 2 or 3 years that the picks disappear from the team and from the league into vapor trails.

Time will tell how they turn out I for one hope this draft class and last years will indeed be Mikey's turning the corner of some HUGE poor history in the past drafts.

I hope that this year quality is indeed the factor to make these guys work. In years past it has been quantity.

There is a need for improvement hopefully Bates and the newbies will make that happen. Since 2003 this team while ranked in defensive stats have sucked when it counted. In the playoffs!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
            Yes he's writer for the Rocky Mountain News.
            Probably not on Mikey's "A" invitation list.

But then he just might be correct.

Mikey is a gambler and sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.

I'm not in DEN and do not see his columns much so do not know how close he is to the facts or if he is just a hate monger.

I merely put out what I have tripped across, by NO MEANS did I go looking for it. I have way to much other things to do.

Speaking of which I'll be out of town again for a few days as my daughter qualified in 5 events for the state track meet in Waco this weekend. Hopefully she will be well enough to compete she came down with a massive cold on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by JRWIZ
              Mikey is a gambler and sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.
              Isnt that what the draft really is?

"Shrugs"

Edit- Good luck to your daughter and may she be blessed with 100% health
              Last edited by GuitarJ; 05-02-2007, 12:16 PM.
              sigpic

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_1804775

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarJ
                Isnt that what the draft really is?

"Shrugs"

Edit- Good luck to your daughter and may she be blessed with 100% health

Many folks look at the draft as a crap shoot. If your scouts are worth a ding dong and if you chose to listen to a great GM (which we do not have) most first day choice should be keepers if not starters with in a year.

If you can't not pick one of the top 3 or 4 players at the position you are looking at on day one. Most of the time everyone has these players rated pretty much the same from the talking heads to the fans.

At worst case the first day picks are all the top 100 players in the pool. Yes I know that their are duds and some are injury cases taht never fulfill their potential Courtney Brown comes to mind. But even chronic injury folks should be weeded out by the scouts.
                If a professional scout can't get it correct tis time for the head cheese to can their butts.

Now I beleive that the scouts are getting it correct since every trade we have made and most UDFA that come tot the team seem to do well. It just looks to alot of folks that Mikey really reaches for talent in the past.

Maybe this year with Bates putting the pressure on after all in teh past it was patterson and coyer doing the talking and the prior to Hemeidinger coming to town it was Kubiack Did Mikey really listen to them? or decide on his own?

Prior to 2006 his record stunk at but was mediocre.

Maybe getting professionals in here that he believed had more to bring to the table other than being yes men, maybe that made teh difference.

The time will tell on these to draft classes.

I really hope I ma wrong about them but I play the odds and that means many will not be here in two years.

Cutler he will be around for at least 4 years, even IF he is not all that Mikey thought him to be. The rest could be TC fodder this year or next.

Again I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

That's easily the dumbest thing Lincione has written yet!

I've criticized Shanahan's drafting before, but certainly NOT this year, because it was stone brilliant! The Broncos exceeded all reasonable expectations.

Will it pan out? Who knows?

But one thing is certain, Lincione is hopelessly off target with his criticisms.

We should have drafted Brady Quinn the year after using a #1 pick on Cutler? What on earth for? That's the stupidest thing I've seen any sportswriter say in years! If some idiot on these boards said such a thing he'd be ripped to shreds with good reason! Even the total NOOBs know better than that!

Can you imagine the laughter and head scratching from Mel Kiper on down, wondering if Shanahan was channeling his inner Rasta?

Then there's lauding the Patriots for getting a 1 year rental on Randy Moss, while dissing the Broncos for their "character concerns."

This sort of hypocrisy passes for standard reporting in the press so I shouldn't be surprised. But for the Pats to pay Moss over $10 million guaranteed $ this year and lose him to FA next year doesn't make a lot of sense to me -- unless the Pats are gambling Moss will put them over the top and get them another SB this year. That might happen, but there's no guarantee. And meanwhile they lose a 4th round pick and $10 million. Oh, well, perhaps it'll work out.

But, you can't rip the Broncos in one breath and then praise the Pats for taking on Randy the meter-maid crusher.

Then to say that none of the draft picks would help the team is even dumber if that's possible!

No rookie is expected to come in immediately and be a star, but these picks helped Denver's team for at least the next 4 years. Now DL will be a strength instead of a weakness.

And that's all you can ask. As for having only 4 picks instead of 7, that was deliberate, which Lincone should have known if he pays attention to Ted Sundquist (which is his job by the way). Sundquist said on this site they only had space for 4 picks on the 53 man roster and didn't expect the player they targeted in the 6th or 7th round to make the team!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                    That's easily the dumbest thing Lincione has written yet!
                    You sure about that?

I have seen some duuuuuuumb things from that guy.

-----

Comment

Working...
                    X