Lincicome on Broncos' draft . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincicome on Broncos' draft . . .

(I made a quick check. If this has been posted elsewhere, please let me know.)

Lincicome: Broncos' draft won't fix their many woes

April 29, 2007
    Irrelevance could well be the eventual result of the Broncos taking their slurp at the weekend's talent trough, adding what they need while changing nothing.

The Broncos were not going to get well at the draft, certainly not by adding question marks on the defensive line, taking on the University of Florida's misbehavers rather than assuming failures from Cleveland.

My re-inspection of the roster reveals that defensive tackle Gerard Warren is indeed still a Bronco, something that will be taken on faith until he plays better, and adding Gators Jarvis Moss and Marcus Thomas and Texas' Tim Crowder only crowds the general patchiness of an unreliable defensive line.

Considering that the Broncos needed to trade up four spots and give away two picks for the uncertainty of Moss and had a whole night to sleep on the risk that is Thomas, before dismissing three draft choices to get him, it must be assumed that some thought has been given to the venture.

Essentially, then, the Broncos gave away five choices for two maybes, one of whom, Thomas, had more red flags than a May Day parade.

Still, by the time the Broncos had picked, there had been four other defensive linemen chosen, while the same number went before Crowder and another 13 before Thomas.

What this means is, the Broncos were scraping all sides of the barrel, but mostly the middle and the bottom.

In the meantime, the saga of Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn played out like some sort of shotgun wedding where the groom kept shifting his feet, waiting for a bride who was late.

Given the chance at Quinn, the Broncos passed, along with 21 others, because Jay Cutler is the quarterback of the future. Still, wouldn't it have been interesting to watch Cutler squirm as Jake Plummer did when the Broncos tossed the pebble in the pond that became a lost season by picking a QB?

And, considering that all those defensive linemen were still to be summoned later, wouldn't it have been worth creating the kind of quarterback competition that Mike Shanahan so loudly endorsed last year?

Or, to suggest another road not taken, there was another Moss to be had, Randy Moss, available for pocket change, who is now a Patriot instead of a Raider. This is not necessarily good for the Broncos in any case, because Moss was a sulking liability each time I saw the Broncos play the Raiders.

It was left then for other teams to make noise, such as could be had in a draft where the overwhelming Heisman Trophy winner, Troy Smith of Ohio State, was the 174th player taken and the nearly anonymous JaMarcus Russell (a Heisman nobody)was deemed the prize of prizes.

The Broncos are in such flux that nothing out of this draft encourages enthusiasm. This is mostly tuck pointing and reroofing, and not with first-rate supplies.

Jarvis Moss is, to echo the positives, a speedy pass rusher, if a bit skinny and a bit raw. He did not start until last season in college, so it is a stretch to assume he will start his first season as a pro. Crowder is similarly a bit light but did start 47 straight games for Texas, a worthy line on his résumé.

As for Thomas, possibly the most talented and certainly the largest of them all, well, for all the chatter about character and personal conduct, he could have been on the NFL poster of commissioner Roger Goodell pointing his finger, saying, "We do not want you."

Thomas and Moss both had disciplinary issues in Gainesville, confessed as pot and hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Shanahan sees what he wants to see in the record of Thomas, considering he was kicked off his college team not a legal matter, rather imagining the 300-pound Thomas getting a legal push in the middle of the line.

After all of this, the Broncos are still in the hands of a semirookie quarterback, the usual apprenticeship being more than the five games that Cutler played (two of which he won). Unless Cutler is something between John Elway and Dan Marino, the learning curve has no place to rest.

Figure in the new running back, the juggled linebacking, the thin receiving, the aging safeties, the uncertain offensive line, but mostly the inevitable shakiness of Cutler, and the Broncos could have had the first 10 picks in the draft without fixing everything that is wrong.

Until Cutler is better seasoned, the defense is of a consistent competence and the Broncos fall into a more painless schedule, good intentions will have to do.

I'm glad Shanny doesn't think like Lincicome. That would make Shanny an idiot.

-----

Darn in Linicome, you are right. Why couldn't we see that the Broncos needed Quinn to create controversy instead of relying on a semi-rookie QB?

Shanny must feel sooooooo dumb for not thinking of that. Heck, I bet Quinn would have solved our pass rush problems too.

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun
      Darn in Linicome, you are right. Why couldn't we see that the Broncos needed Quinn to create controversy instead of relying on a semi-rookie QB?

Shanny must feel sooooooo dumb for not thinking of that. Heck, I bet Quinn would have solved our pass rush problems too.

lol, I love that picture of Mike Shanahan in your sig man.

lol, and it says draft day magic.

He should be saying " now watch me magically turn 8 picks into 4........

lol, still a good draft though.

Comment

He wasted his time writing this article.

I would say he really doesn't understand football.

The part about getting Quinn is laughable .

Denver did an awesome job getting younger, faster, and better on defense with the two bookends and that sink stopper they got in the 4th round. These were excellent picks. I even like our OL we picked up. He needs to work on his skills and he'll do fine for us.

I disagreed up and down the article with this guy. He needs to cover pop warner teams.
        Emancipate your mind!
        The People's Poster

Comment

is he crazy, pick up quinn aswell, what an effing doufus.two first rd picks, one would sit the other would play, that is a waste of picks.

our wr are pretty good, javon,brandon-ok,rod-oldie but goodie-stokley-good possession-then we get hixon,d terrell, kircus. But we run a lot of 2 te so add scheff and graham to that, and it suddenly looks pretty good.

wow, i feel bad for this guy when we win the division, and he says we suck.
          So far:
          FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
          1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Amen. Does this guy actually have a brain? Some of his stuff is so off the wall it makes you want to go and puke. I seriously wonder if the guy can really understands what it takes to make a team click and come together. Nothing will ever be perfect on a team. A good coach tries to put the best unit together that he can. Overall, Mike has done a very good job with this team, and if he were to leave, he would probably have 20 jobs offers the next day. Lincicome will never see that. He ALWAYS has something to b**** about. This guy must be one miserable little fart of a guy.

The biggest need we had going into this draft was for DL help. Did Mike address it? Yes. So what does Lincicome do? His usual, by putting Mike and the Broncos down. In otherwords, it's your damned if you do and your damned if you don't with Mr. Bernie. Nothing is ever good enough!!!!! and nothing ever pleases him.

Comment

Absolutely no cred whatsoever.

Comment

Piss and vinegar.

Seriously, draft Quinn?

Well, THAT'S smart cap management.

*sniffs*

Yep, I smell ego.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                You should check these guys out

Comment

I read this earlier. The guy's an idiot.

Comment

Actually much of his article hit home. This in particular

"After all of this, the Broncos are still in the hands of a semi rookie quarterback, the usual apprenticeship being more than the five games that Cutler played (two of which he won). Unless Cutler is something between John Elway and Dan Marino, the learning curve has no place to rest.

Figure in the new running back, the juggled linebacking, the thin receiving, the aging safeties, the uncertain offensive line, but mostly the inevitable shakiness of Cutler, and the Broncos could have had the first 10 picks in the draft without fixing everything that is wrong.

Until Cutler is better seasoned, the defense is of a consistent competence and the Broncos fall into a more painless schedule, good intentions will have to do."

With the exception of the yellow highlighted area he is probably closer to the truth than most on here wish to hear.

Rookies may have an impact or it just might be a BIG learning curve in 2007. Now 2008 that could be something all together different. But then we will be worried about OAK and the next John Elway.

I'll also guess the Mikey does not return his phone calls either.

Comment

what a ****** bag
                      Pro McD

Comment

Originally posted by JRWIZ

"After all of this, the Broncos are still in the hands of a semi rookie quarterback, the usual apprenticeship being more than the five games that Cutler played (two of which he won). Unless Cutler is something between John Elway and Dan Marino, the learning curve has no place to rest.

Until Cutler is better seasoned, the defense is of a consistent competence and the Broncos fall into a more painless schedule, good intentions will have to do."

With the exception of the yellow highlighted area he is probably closer to the truth than most on here wish to hear.

Rookies may have an impact or it just might be a BIG learning curve in 2007. Now 2008 that could be something all together different. But then we will be worried about OAK and the next John Elway.

The new running back I don't view as a problem. We have had a new RB every year for years, and we still come out on top. This RB in particular Shanny loves.

The LB corps is a slight worry, but as we all know, the LBs are only as good as the DL in front of them. It made sense to grab DL and go with what we have at LB.

The WRs are a bit thin, but we could live with how it is, especially since we have two TEs who are good pass catchers.

The safties age is worrying, but Shanny figures to worry about that when it becomes a problem.

and I don't think the OL is that much of a concern anymore. We drafted Whatshisname from ND, giving us depth at OT (the biggest position of need), we have three guys who will compete for the starting RG spot, and the rest are covered for now.

Comment

i'm not especially happy with this draft (warming up to the results, but imagined better outcomes) and i still think this guy is a moron. who is he and why should we care what he thinks? he could be the president of football knowledge, and i wouldn't care. i'd lobby for an impeachment.

i've scratched my head in confusion after reading things that make 10x more sense than any one sentence in this article.

"Don't let anyone say you can't do anything. Look what Dee achieved in 24 years."
                          We all Miss you D-Will and Damien. RIP Broncos forever. :salute:

Comment

Originally posted by JRWIZ

Every team can break there team down that way. Everybody can improve in more than one area.
                            If I wanted to take the Patriots I could say they have all new WR that haven't developed any chemistry, and aging LB's. An old safety and a new inexperianced one with character issues. A discontented CB who would like a new contract. The Patriots won't give him one but the paid Wes freakin Welker a boat load of money to be the 3rd wide receiver. Every team has issues!

Comment

Bernie Dumbass, Rocky Mountain News Columnist

Comment

Working...
                              X