Safety for Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety for Next Year

When I saw Denver move up to 17th pick, I thought it was going to be for Reggie Nelson (FS- Florida) or Michael Griffin (FS- Texas). After the Jarvis Moss pick, I thought we might go FS in round 2. That didn't happen, either. I like that we finally addressed D-line problems, but with our aging Safeties, I see a problem looming on the horizon. It wasn't addressed in this year's draft, so my question is: Whom should we be looking at in next year's draft to take over Lynch's and/or Ferguson's spot(s)?

Nick Ferguson and Lynch do fine together for now until Lynch gets so slow he's useless.
    Originally posted by Soldier96B
    i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

Kenneth Phillips (the dude in my avatar)
      Last edited by D3N7ER 8r0I\I<05; 05-01-2007, 06:55 PM.

Comment

i thought we were trading up for alan branch, as i thought there wasn't as much to the rumors of his freefall as there actually was. i'm sure that we agreed with the jags not to take nelson, as he was probably their target all along... not sure about next year, so sorry i can't answer you question.. if abdullah or cox don't step it up (and even if they do) S is high on the list of needs for next year. i think DT will be also, and there's lots of talent at DT in next years draft. i don't follow college enough to know all the prospects until i research them before the draft, so

"Don't let anyone say you can't do anything. Look what Dee achieved in 24 years."
        We all Miss you D-Will and Damien. RIP Broncos forever. :salute:

Comment

I say we stay within the team with, Hamza Abdulah(sp). He is awesome.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Navin Johnson_
            Kenneth Phillips
            it would be great if we can get him in next years draft. im a big hurricanes fan and this guy has made an impact since the first day he stepped on the field. brings size and speed to safety position and also brings the hitting ability. would love to see him in the orange and blue.

Comment

Originally posted by SeeingRed
              Nick Ferguson and Lynch do fine together for now until Lynch gets so slow he's useless.
              Both are in their 30s. Lynch probably has 1-2 more years left. Need to start thinking of replacement.

On our current roster, I like Sam Brandon as our "big nickel" covering opponents' TEs. Kind of a specialized task; not sure how he'd do as an every-down Safety. Lynch said Hamza Abdullah is a budding star, but I'd like to see it in real life not just in training camp. The rest all seem like converted CBs that really didn't make the most of their opportunities last year when Brandon and Ferguson went down.

Comment

I dont think next year is going to be as strong as this year. Kenny Phillips should be one of the best safeties in the draft though.

Comment

Originally posted by Navin Johnson_
                  Kenneth Phillips (the dude in my avatar)
                  Thanks for the info. Once college ball starts up again, I'll try to catch some Miami games and check him out.

Comment

Im really hopin for Tom Zebakowski(SP) from ND. I hate ND, and all the hype that surrounds them but this guy can play. He didnt do so hot his junior year, but he was a beast his soph. He came up with many big ints, punched out a bunch of fumbles, and even returned punts for touchdowns, and layed some jawdropping hits. If he can play like he did his soph year, he will be awesome, especially with a lil mentorship from lynch.

Comment

Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan
                      I say we stay within the team with, Hamza Abdulah(sp). He is awesome.
                      I thought we had some good production out of him on ST.

I think if Foxxy were just a tad bigger, He'd be perfect for Safety<---See Cinnci game-- the little man played his heart out.

However, John Lynch knows his stuff.... I'm apt to go with his feelings.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JetterIsBetter
                        Im really hopin for Tom Zebakowski(SP) from ND. I hate ND, and all the hype that surrounds them but this guy can play. He didnt do so hot his junior year, but he was a beast his soph. He came up with many big ints, punched out a bunch of fumbles, and even returned punts for touchdowns, and layed some jawdropping hits. If he can play like he did his soph year, he will be awesome, especially with a lil mentorship from lynch.
                        No, you dont. My colleague is a ND alum and he readily admits he bites too easily on the play fake. Another colleague, who is a huge ND and Bears fan says he takes horrible pursuit angles and has said he wouldnt want him on the Bears (that was after his Sophomore year-what you called his good year). They guy has very good straight line speed. I think Ive heard he runs a 10.5 100meters. But he is too all or nothing (and too often nothing).

Comment

This year was supposed to be the year this was addressed. This is probably Lynch's last season, and he'll be retiring after. The Broncos should have gotten a safety this season and left him on the bench and let him soak in so he'll be ready to play for SB XLIII.

Comment

Darien Williams

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...&Q_SEASON=2007

Overview- Senior out of Oklahoma. Solid frame at round 6'0" 200 lbs. Ran a 4.48 40, benched 325 lbs in spring of last year.

R.I.P. D.Nash, D.Will

Comment

Originally posted by lex
                              No, you dont. My colleague is a ND alum and he readily admits he bites too easily on the play fake. Another colleague, who is a huge ND and Bears fan says he takes horrible pursuit angles and has said he wouldnt want him on the Bears (that was after his Sophomore year-what you called his good year). They guy has very good straight line speed. I think Ive heard he runs a 10.5 100meters. But he is too all or nothing (and too often nothing).
                              The few ND games i watched he was always making the big plays, but i didnt study them closely. Maybe he could be a good project. From the negatives you talk about, they can be corrected. The speed and instincts he has can not. He might not be worth as high a pick as i originally thought, but a little later on.

Comment

Working...
                              X