Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sundquist: Anatomy of Draft Trades (Great read!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sundquist: Anatomy of Draft Trades (Great read!)

Awesome read!

Just read carefully, but the Broncos actually had deals in place to end up with two-first rounders in this years draft, and they were targeting Moss, Timmons and Harrell with those two picks, and Shanahan mentioned earlier Anderson was a guy they liked a lot as well. So obviously, Denver was looking for impact players right away. Sort of bummed that things went down the way they did, because having a combo of Timmons/Moss Moss/Harrell, etc. would have been extremely nice!

I also posted this article in this thread as well: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=93037

It is a good read that explains what we were up to in the draft, who we had targeted, and our philosophy for trading up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream
      Awesome read!

Just read carefully, but the Broncos actually had deals in place to end up with two-first rounders in this years draft, and they were targeting Moss, Timmons and Harrell with those two picks, and Shanahan mentioned earlier Anderson was a guy they liked a lot as well. So obviously, Denver was looking for impact players right away. Sort of bummed that things went down the way they did, because having a combo of Timmons/Moss Moss/Harrell, etc. would have been extremely nice!
      No, you can't always get what you want
      You can't always get what you want
      You can't always get what you want
      And if you try sometime you find
      You get what you need

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
      J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
      R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

an excellant article

i read the article and i NOW UNDERSTAND THEIR THINKING! STILL i favor COLLECTING AS MANY DRAFT PICKS AS THE BRONCOS CAN GET THEIR HANDS ON. i went into day 2 on sunday with my eyes on an athletic safety from MAINE and an outside LB from USC both we late round selections that would have helped the broncos at 2 positions of need.

Comment

Definitly a nice read. I think the Broncos came out pretty well in this draft. Hopefully this will get people to see why we traded away or 3rd an 6th. Didn't kill me that we moved up, its all in the artical. Qaulity over qauntity, thats what we got out of this draft. 4 picks in 4 rounds is better then 4 from the 5th on.
          Thanks WhiteDragon!

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=85326 Last years 1st RD Mock
          GM Draft-#24-CB Aqib Talib Kansas
          #54-WR Earl Bennett Vandy
          #85-G Roy Schuening OSU
          #114(via HOU-Pacman Trade) TE Brad Cottam TEN
          #120 LB Ben Moffit USF
          Block: TE Troupe RB Brown DT Starks

Comment

Great read.....I always wonder what they are thinking. You know they all play every angle so you just have to trust they did all they could do with out killing us in the future.
            "I'm your Huckelberry"

Comment

Thank God we did not draft Timmons to play SAM. We never learn.

And Praise Buddha that we missed out on Justin Harrell, which forced us to take a more talented DT in Marcus Thomas.

I knew it was probably dumb luck which caused the Broncos to a have a flawless draft.

Comment

I dont know. It is kind of hard to swallow that this Ted guy knows more about the Broncos than us fans. Seriously, who is he trying to fool

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan

And Praise Buddha that we missed out on Justin Harrell, which forced us to take a more talented DT in Marcus Thomas.

I knew it was probably dumb luck which caused the Broncos to a have a flawless draft.
                  I was going to say exactly the same thing!

Justin Harrell is probably a decent DT, but Marcus Thomas is an elite penetrating DT who blows up the middle and gets pressure in the face of the QB. He could be in the pro-bowl within 3 years and be a great DT for years to come.

I'm so excited seeing him in Broncos "predominantly orange."

As for Timmons, I'm sure he's going to make a good LB, but there's just NOT a need there this year, compared with the desparate need to get good young DL to replace Ekuban, Englerberger (who should finally be cut!), Demetrin Veal, and Antwon Burton, none of who would make even the taxi squad on a defense like the Bears or Ravens.

Frankly, next year the Broncos can now afford to concentrate on S, RB, WR and maybe OL, plus adding one more DT to replace Warren when he goes as he will in a couple of years.

I totally agree that this is the best Broncos draft of the last 10 years!
                  sigpic

Comment

I think it's a tie

Originally posted by Cugel

I totally agree that this is the best Broncos draft of the last 10 years!
                    I think for us you need to look at the last three years together. The things we were able to do this year are only possible because we shored-up our secondary and brought in some real offensive potential.

I think last year and this year were a tie. However you can't unravel last year on it's own because part of what put us in such a good position was the "Jason Campbell-draft-Redskins" trade. That really triggered everything else we've been able to. All the stockpiling and maneuvering that built our offense starts the day we gave up that pick. Then that same year we go all out on DBs. And while [God Rest his Soul] Darrent is no longer with us, he showed what having two aggresive, talented corners can do. And if you have three like we did and do again [Foxworth, Bly] then you can do that much more, and if you can allow your bigger DBs [Cox, Brandon] to play big nickel because you don't have to play cover three all the time then YOU REALLY HAVE SOMETHING. Now we know what a defensive backfield can really do. Maybe the geniuses knew it ahead of time but that's hard to say.
                    So while I agree we may have found the final pieces I don't think any of this would have come thru without the Campbell pick and Darrent Williams.

I'd say the best phone call we've had in 3 years was from Joe Gibbs.

And the best non-firing was on S/T. When teams have dismal special teams they tend to fire the coaches. We have sort of done that now by moving people around and bringing in a new S/T coach. But we DIDN'T fire them 4 years ago and instead went for a returner who could hopefully play a little corner too. Good thing we went that direction! Without Darrent's play Shanahan might have been loathe to pay 2 top notch cover corners. Thinking he could get by with one. But now he knows!
                    Last edited by DiehardinAlaska; 05-02-2007, 02:42 PM.
                    "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

Brilliant!!!!

I'm glad Mr. Sundquist provided this insight. There are a lot of members here on the board still trying to figure out why 2 draft picks were used to move up 4 spots in that first round. Admittedly, I was a bit confused by the move as well, and could only come up w/ this similar reasoning...it was the only plausible one. I had to stick by it too since my draft day buddies (Chef & Steeler fans) tried razzing me about "my" team making this seemingly "strange" move.

It makes much more sense now that we all have the inside scoop how the F.O. had to watch as 2 of 3 guys they were targeting were picked up early. I completely agree w/ their philosophy; I mean, why play "wait & see" to risk not getting either of the 3 guys?

I like the F.O.'s mind set w/ those late round draft picks, too. Let's be reasonable, only a handful of players turn out to be something special taken that late in the draft (provide your own examples here). Why not use them to your advantage?

Here's a big Mile High to all those involved in making this a "quality over quantity" offseason!
                      Supporter of the "Don't Like the Thread, Don't Post In It" rule

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan

If it is it will be the first one.

It looks like it could be a great mix of kids with the extra gator just signed UDFA. Are we going to do another browncos thing with 3-4 of last seasons gators.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007
                          I dont know. It is kind of hard to swallow that this Ted guy knows more about the Broncos than us fans. Seriously, who is he trying to fool
                          Yeah, and I bet he also gets paid for this, while us, fans, we do all this stuff for free!

Comment

Originally posted by JRWIZ
                            If it is it will be the first one.

It looks like it could be a great mix of kids with the extra gator just signed UDFA. Are we going to do another browncos thing with 3-4 of last seasons gators.
                            Last year was flawless and so much more impressive than this one. Cutler, Scheffler, Marshall, Elvis, Kuper, Hixon and Eslinger...there are 12 probowls in that group.

Plus we got Walker.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007
                              Last year was flawless and so much more impressive than this one. Cutler, Scheffler, Marshall, Elvis, Kuper, Hixon and Eslinger...there are 12 probowls in that group.

Plus we got Walker.
                              I tend to agree. Last year we received quality and quantity--particularly when you include Walker as essentially a draft pick and the move up for Cutler. Those two moves alone make it a successful draft. All the other selections still seem to have the potential to either start at some point or be strong contributors. Awesome draft.

Frankly, the last three bronco drafts have been above NFL average in the selections and way above Shanahan average. You can certainly argue that they should've selected different positions to emphasize in each year, but there seems to have been a marked reduction in purely wasted selections. I'm almost concerned about it!! Can it be possible that they are getting better at this??

Comment

Working...
                              X