Linebackers, do we need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linebackers, do we need?

I think we may have a linbacker core that will get us thru the season easy enough, but could still use a dose of fresh blood there.

Im thinking maybe we should sign DD Lewis (cut from Philly) or Mark Zalewski (UDFA from Wisconsin)

any thoughts from anyone else

I think we are set at linebacker.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

We did sign DD Lewis. We also signed Holdman. If the defensive line works out, LB is similar to safety although not as pressing as safety.

Comment

I sais DD Lewis but meant Dhani Jones

I agree it is not pressing, but some help wouldnt hurt

As for safety I wouldnt mind seeing us grab Brandon Mitchell form Ohio State, he wouldnt be a starter this year but would definetly provide needed depth

Comment

Originally posted by broncobob72
          I sais DD Lewis but meant Dhani Jones

I agree it is not pressing, but some help wouldnt hurt

As for safety I wouldnt mind seeing us grab Brandon Mitchell form Ohio State, he wouldnt be a starter this year but would definetly provide needed depth
          Depth? If we were going to pick up some potential LBs we would have signed Earl Everett or Nate Harris. Brandon Mitchell is just going to take up another LB roster spot because we have 10 already.

Comment

Originally posted by mxbronco13
            Depth? If we were going to pick up some potential LBs we would have signed Earl Everett or Nate Harris. Brandon Mitchell is just going to take up another LB roster spot because we have 10 already.
            Seems like Nate Harris is content with being a Chief.
            "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Next year's draft looks like a good LB class, much better than this years. Here are some guys to look out for:

Ali Highsmith/LSU
              Xavier Adibi/VT
              Vince Hall/VT
              Keith Rivers/USC*
              Rey Maualuga/USC*
              Dan Connor/PSU*
              Geno Hayes/FSU*
              James Laurianitus/OSU*

*Underclassmen

If linebacker turns out to be a weakness, at least a couple of these guys should be available in the late 1st, where the Broncos will be picking.

Comment

isn't junior seau a free agent?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey

No he's a Patriot

Comment

Originally posted by Navin Johnson_
                    Next year's draft looks like a good LB class, much better than this years. Here are some guys to look out for:

Ali Highsmith/LSU
                    Xavier Adibi/VT
                    Vince Hall/VT
                    Keith Rivers/USC*
                    Rey Maualuga/USC*
                    Dan Connor/PSU*
                    Geno Hayes/FSU*
                    James Laurianitus/OSU*

*Underclassmen

If linebacker turns out to be a weakness, at least a couple of these guys should be available in the late 1st, where the Broncos will be picking.

Rivers and Connor aren't going to be underclassmen and If I had my choice I would rate them and take them in this order:

James Laurianitus - Complete MLB who can hit, run, be in the right spot and has size.
                    Rey Maualuga - Athletic freak and great speed but can be somewhat of a free-lance LB forgetting his assignments.
                    Vince Hall - Athletically gifted OLB who has speed and great toughness.
                    Ali Highsmith - Athletic playmaker who doesn't make as many plays as he should.
                    Keith Rivers - Big OLB who can run and hit but disappears at times.
                    Dan Connor - Very good OLB from Penn St, just doesn't look like he has great top end speed.
                    Xavier Adibi - Overshadowed by Hall Adibi is a great contributer and player.
                    Geno Hayes - Undersized WLB Hayes has some athleticism but weight (218lbs) looks like an issues in the NFL, may be moved to S like the Seattle safety was.

Comment

Yes, we need.

In particular, we need MLBs. We may have 10 LBs now (which is close to what I wanted at the end of last season) but we won't leave camp with that many. Take a look at whom they actually are; Webster, Holdman and Lewis are the only ones besides D.J. and Gold with real NFL experience. After that we drop quickly to third, second or first year guys just trying to make a team. That might be OK if we were just looking for backups, but the truth is we're looking for at least one starter and, realistically, more like two.

Before everyone reaches for their torches, what I mean by two is the MLB is to the 4-3 what the QB is to the offense, so you can't have just anybody as your backup MLB or hope your starter can play every down for 16 games plus the postseason. You can't do that with your QB, and your QB doesn't make 100 tackles every year (Al had 99 last year, IIRC, and the MLB is expected to have a BIGGER role under Bates). So D.J. moves over to MLB and someone (likely Holdman or Lewis, who started in SB XXXIX) takes his spot at SLB, but you still need a backup SLB and MLB.

I'm willing to let the other seven guys duke it out over the backup SLB job, but the backup MLB requires arguably more versatility than the starting SLB spot, and I don't see anyone right now I know can offer it and is free to do so. If we had somebody like that we wouldn't be moving our starting SLB to MLB. Webster didn't look great filling in for Al last year and I don't expect him to look much better filling in for D.J., and I'm not sure his 237 lbs. is really suited to SLB either. Vaughn looks good on paper (he's 241; everyone but Gold and Webster is right around there, but Vaughn's the tallest at 6'4") but he's still something of an unknown quantity. At this point I'm expecting Gold, D.J. and Holdman/Lewis to start, backed up by Green, Webster and Lewis/Holdman, then Vaughn, but I'm not thrilled about Webster as our backup MLB, which remains a key spot on the D. We've got flexibility at SLB; we've got the depth to handle the position by the end of camp, but good MLBs don't grow on trees, and the importance of the position means one is not enough. Depending on how the season goes that would be my top priority for next year, ahead of safeties, RBs, tackles or anything else.
                      SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Morambar
                        In particular, we need MLBs. We may have 10 LBs now (which is close to what I wanted at the end of last season) but we won't leave camp with that many. Take a look at whom they actually are; Webster, Holdman and Lewis are the only ones besides D.J. and Gold with real NFL experience. After that we drop quickly to third, second or first year guys just trying to make a team. That might be OK if we were just looking for backups, but the truth is we're looking for at least one starter and, realistically, more like two.

Before everyone reaches for their torches, what I mean by two is the MLB is to the 4-3 what the QB is to the offense, so you can't have just anybody as your backup MLB or hope your starter can play every down for 16 games plus the postseason. You can't do that with your QB, and your QB doesn't make 100 tackles every year (Al had 99 last year, IIRC, and the MLB is expected to have a BIGGER role under Bates). So D.J. moves over to MLB and someone (likely Holdman or Lewis, who started in SB XXXIX) takes his spot at SLB, but you still need a backup SLB and MLB.

I'm willing to let the other seven guys duke it out over the backup SLB job, but the backup MLB requires arguably more versatility than the starting SLB spot, and I don't see anyone right now I know can offer it and is free to do so. If we had somebody like that we wouldn't be moving our starting SLB to MLB. Webster didn't look great filling in for Al last year and I don't expect him to look much better filling in for D.J., and I'm not sure his 237 lbs. is really suited to SLB either. Vaughn looks good on paper (he's 241; everyone but Gold and Webster is right around there, but Vaughn's the tallest at 6'4") but he's still something of an unknown quantity. At this point I'm expecting Gold, D.J. and Holdman/Lewis to start, backed up by Green, Webster and Lewis/Holdman, then Vaughn, but I'm not thrilled about Webster as our backup MLB, which remains a key spot on the D. We've got flexibility at SLB; we've got the depth to handle the position by the end of camp, but good MLBs don't grow on trees, and the importance of the position means one is not enough. Depending on how the season goes that would be my top priority for next year, ahead of safeties, RBs, tackles or anything else.
                        All this would mean is that the Broncos would look for a backup MLB somewhere in the 3rd round or later next year.

You don't use a #1 or #2 pick on a player unless you're looking for a starter.

So, unless D.J. fails at MLB there's no room there for a starter, thus it's a minor need. Frankly, a replacement for Ian Gold down the line is more imperative than backup for D.J.

Of course, this could change if Williams underachieves at MLB this year.

I for one, don't expect it. MLB is his natural position and the DL will be better this season, so he won't have DTs and G's in his face as much as Wilson did last year.

I think the anonymous Bronco who said about the LBs that "you're only as good as your line" had it right! (That was reported in the News during the Al Wilson controversy).
                        sigpic

Comment

The line's better...

but there seems to be some feeling the demands on the MLB are higher. The line's not going to be covering TEs and RBs (at least I hope not *vainly tries to scrub image of Ekuban "covering" Tomlinson again* ) and that's a LBs job. Best case we'll need a starting SLB and a backup MLB, because despite living in TX and getting two Cowboys/Skins games a year (plus the Eagles and Giants) I can't recall hearing Warrick Holdmans name once. At the end of the season I wanted:

2 DTs,
                          G,
                          RB,
                          MLB/3-4 OLB

Between the draft and free agency we've picked up at least one quality DT, the depth I wanted at guard, the proven versatile back I wanted--and lost Al Wilson. Maybe I'm wrong; maybe we'll come out of camp and Vaughn'll be a star and/or we'll find out all Holdman needed was a decent supporting cast, but the best news I can see for our LB corps right now is that Graham and Stokely have left NE and Indy. That does not, however, mean the Pats and Colts will be sending out 10 guys on offense, and if you shut down the run and blanket the two primary receivers (which we should do well) the next step is to start throwing slot passes and screens to backs and TEs, something both those teams do well.

We may need depth for Gold as well; last year we had three great LBs backed by scrubs, and when Al went down it showed, which is why I wanted some quality depth. Now Al's probably going to retire, which only makes the need that much more urgent. I'd like to see LBs, RBs and safeties next year, in that order, and the last only because no one plays football forever.
                          SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

Cugel, who do you say that MLB is DJ's "natural position"? Is it because he is better suited physically for that position? Doesn't a good Mike need to have good instincts, I haven't seen from DJ consistently at all? Not to mention he played the outside in college.

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey
                              no he got picked up by the east hamptons. biggest contract ever for a professional shuffleboard player.

"Don't let anyone say you can't do anything. Look what Dee achieved in 24 years."
                              We all Miss you D-Will and Damien. RIP Broncos forever. :salute:

Comment

Working...
                              X