We sure do need another DT...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We sure do need another DT...

Would be nice to add another DT for depth!

I like the DE spot now but we are only 3 deep at DT...Warren/Mckinley/Thomas....I sure don't want to count on Veal,Burton,Gordan...1 more DT sure would look nice!

Seriously, Burton/Veal/Gordon will suffice as a 4th DT. Any team which has a quality 4th DT is really pushing the boat out I'm thinking Burton will be the 4th DT to start and move to 3rd. He fits in this system plus he's the youngest of the bunch.
    sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

yea, we're fine at DT imo.

Go Cougs! Go Broncos!

Thanks tons Broncosfreak_56!

Comment

Agree, Burton will fit in nicely in this system. Veal vs Burton for the 4th spot is actually some nice competition for a 4th DT.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
        J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
        R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Veal was pretty good in 2005 but last year the most lasting memory of him is having that D holding call against him whilst being blocked 15 yards upfield by a Seahawks double team I hope he shapes up for TC, he's going to have it tough.
          sigpic

Comment

Cut and/or Waived

There are still cuts yet to be made and players placed on Waivers by other teams.

I'm sure there will be some more guys brought in and looked at when other teams start to slim down their rosters.

There will be some pretty interesting names available, always is.

Comment

Originally posted by memphisbronco5

I like the DE spot now but we are only 3 deep at DT...Warren/Mckinley/Thomas....I sure don't want to count on Veal,Burton,Gordan...1 more DT sure would look nice!

We did. We signed Thomas' linemate as undraft free agent.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...517382,00.html

Broncos sign five rookie free agents
              STORY TOOLS
              By Associated Press
              May 2, 2007
              The Denver Broncos have signed five rookie free agents, including Auburn guard Tim Duckworth, Texas running back Selvin Young and another defensive player from Florida.

The Broncos signed defensive tackle Steven Harris of the national champion Gators. Broncos draft picks Jarvis Moss, a defensive end, and Marcus Thomas, defensive tackle, also played for Florida.

Denver also signed Hampton University wide receiver Marquay McDaniel and Wisconsin safety Roderick Rogers.

Duckworth was projected as a potential first-day NFL draft pick, but his name wasn’t called.

Young finished his career at Texas ranked 19th on the school’s all-time rushing list with 1,713 yards on 365 carries with 25 touchdowns. He was part of the 2005 team that won the BCS national championship. In 2003, he became the first player in Longhorns history to return both a kickoff and a punt for a touchdown in the same game.

McDaniel left Hampton having tied the school record with 22 touchdown receptions in 46 career games.

Rogers received second-team All-Big Ten Conference honors in each of his final two seasons at Wisconsin.
              Last edited by TXBRONC; 05-05-2007, 08:03 AM.
              John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by memphisbronco5

I would cut Veal, Burton,and Gordan.

Comment

Veal didnt have a great season in 2006, but I quite like him as a player and he has some upsides, but he has a battle on his hands to stick on the team with the numberrs there.
                  Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
                  http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

I adopt Erica Weston

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                    We did. We signed Thomas' linemate as undraft free agent.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...517382,00.html

Broncos sign five rookie free agents
                    STORY TOOLS
                    By Associated Press
                    May 2, 2007
                    The Denver Broncos have signed five rookie free agents, including Auburn guard Tim Duckworth, Texas running back Selvin Young and another defensive player from Florida.

The Broncos signed defensive tackle Steven Harris of the national champion Gators. Broncos draft picks Jarvis Moss, a defensive end, and Marcus Thomas, defensive tackle, also played for Florida.

Denver also signed Hampton University wide receiver Marquay McDaniel and Wisconsin safety Roderick Rogers.

Duckworth was projected as a potential first-day NFL draft pick, but his name wasn’t called.

Young finished his career at Texas ranked 19th on the school’s all-time rushing list with 1,713 yards on 365 carries with 25 touchdowns. He was part of the 2005 team that won the BCS national championship. In 2003, he became the first player in Longhorns history to return both a kickoff and a punt for a touchdown in the same game.

McDaniel left Hampton having tied the school record with 22 touchdown receptions in 46 career games.

Rogers received second-team All-Big Ten Conference honors in each of his final two seasons at Wisconsin.
                    I'd like to be optomistic as the next person, but the chances of an undrafted DT ever becoming a starter in the NFL are almost nil.

Don't take my word for it. Look at the statistics on Football Outsiders: LINK

Unfortuantely, Harris is not likely to make the team, and if he does he's unlikely to ever amount to anything.
                    sigpic

Comment

Burton will be a beast this year count him on the 3-4 spot and will challenge for the starting spot, he has the speed and the size for the new system. I remember seeing him chasing down the quarterback a couple of times in the Oakland game while they were double teaming him. With a year under his belt I think he will just get better. I was watching him becouse he had 93 pryce's old number.
                      My Adopt a Bronco is Antwon Burton Go Get em

Comment

Originally posted by Broncobulldog07
                        Burton will be a beast this year count him on the 3-4 spot and will challenge for the starting spot, he has the speed and the size for the new system. I remember seeing him chasing down the quarterback a couple of times in the Oakland game while they were double teaming him. With a year under his belt I think he will just get better. I was watching him becouse he had 93 pryce's old number.
                        I sure hope you're right. He and Alvin McKinley could battle for the starting spot opposite Warren to start the season.

Hopefully, before the season is out, Thomas can move into that starting spot.

Frankly, next year the Broncos are going to need to draft some MORE DTs as well, since Warren isn't going to stay forever and none of the other DTs (other than Thomas) are ever likely to be elite DTs.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                          I'd like to be optomistic as the next person, but the chances of an undrafted DT ever becoming a starter in the NFL are almost nil.

Don't take my word for it. Look at the statistics on Football Outsiders: LINK

Unfortuantely, Harris is not likely to make the team, and if he does he's unlikely to ever amount to anything.
                          Those stats from Football Outsiders makes all the whining about Shanahan not drafting a safety, a linebacker or returner look foolish. It's much easier to draft good players in those categories (and thus get them through free agency from other teams' past drafts) than it is to get quality at DT, OT and DE.

Comment

Sorry, OT but I love this quote from the above article:

It’s less imperative to grab a runner in round one, but the well appears to dry up after round four. It doesn’t appear that you have to use a top pick to get one of the better runners, but it certainly improves your chances of success. Alternatively, you could just wait for the Broncos to get tired of the one they happen to have at the moment.

I've got high hopes for Burton, especially now we've got competent line coaching for the first time in a long time.
                            sigpic

Comment

That was such a bogus call.

Originally posted by muse
                              Veal was pretty good in 2005 but last year the most lasting memory of him is having that D holding call against him whilst being blocked 15 yards upfield by a Seahawks double team I hope he shapes up for TC, he's going to have it tough.
                              But hey, it only cost us the game and a trip to the playoffs; at least the "right" team won the SB, right?

End of last season I wanted us to draft two DTs, but with the new DC apparently liking the big bodies I'm optimistic McKinley and Burton will do well as our number three and four. I'd have preferred two DTs and a DE to vice versa, but apparently the front office (which is a lot closer to the team, yes?) saw something I didn't. I think we'll be OK; I'm a lot more worried about LBs right now.
                              SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X